GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BackSeat Rattles... of the wrong kind

Donald32

Backseat Driver
I thought I should fix the loud backseat rattles which have been annoying me for the last 4 months.

Having searched the forums, the plausible root cause was the seatbelt retainer but mine was more metal on metal and most frequent when I'm alone.

Here's what I have done and it has completely fixed the darn rattles. It's such a simple fix. Hope it helps someone else. Cheers Donald

DSCN3604resized640x480.jpg

mrnamjama

Passed Driver's Ed
I have loud backseat rattles as well - like a ping pong ball bouncing around metal objects.

Mine is a Polo, but I'd still like to know what you've done!

(you haven't said what the simple fix is)

aussiegti

VW pumping thru my veins
Slightly O/T but anyone have noises actually coming from their leather seats. It's fcuken annoying! I think actually have them on the seats!

But seems to go away when the Mrs plonks her ass on them though.

Donald32

Backseat Driver
I have loud backseat rattles as well - like a ping pong ball bouncing around metal objects.

Mine is a Polo, but I'd still like to know what you've done!

(you haven't said what the simple fix is)
I had the same rattles. As shown in the picture, I put a lot of tape on the metal latch for the backrest, some 2mm+ allround. When the backrest is put back up, it latches quite tightly. Noises gone. Hope it works for you too.

Slightly O/T but anyone have noises actually coming from their leather seats. It's fcuken annoying! I think actually have them on the seats!

But seems to go away when the Mrs plonks her ass on them though.
Leather on leather rub will go away with time. If you can't wait, I have used (RM Williams) saddle cream on my bimmer leather seats which will soften and smoothen the contact area. One thing for sure, don't let the dealers' apprentices take your seats apart to 'adjust fit'.

Alternatively, use a blown up doll with heaps of ballast. Cheers Donald

mrnamjama

Passed Driver's Ed
Er... sorry, I must be getting owned with the work's firewall... I see no pictures :)

I just thought you forgot to add whatever you wanted to say, my mistake :)

ONGIE

I thought I should fix the loud backseat rattles which have been annoying me for the last 4 months.

Having searched the forums, the plausible root cause was the seatbelt retainer but mine was more metal on metal and most frequent when I'm alone.

Here's what I have done and it has completely fixed the darn rattles. It's such a simple fix. Hope it helps someone else. Cheers Donald

View attachment 13944

I sometimes have funny gremlin rattles now and again, so I will try this magic trick...nice1 Donald..thanks.

Panman

Frequent Modder
I had used electrical tape and it wore through...

So I followed advice from the Tex' Golf MK V DIY thread I used a couple of the stick on velcro dots (the fuzzy side) on the metal "hoop" :wink:

I used black though, and that _may_ make a difference.....:thumbsup:

Donald32

Backseat Driver
Yep, when I lowered the backrest after the first fix, the metal catch ripped the tape ... and I had about 2mm+ buildup of tape all round. After retaping, I didn't lower the backrest again, and the fix was good.

So I guess this is a workaround and may have to be applied again after you have lowered your backrest. Something I don't do often. So, hope it helps some of us anyway. Donald

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
thank you for the tips! i spent a good 30mins being driven around by my friend whilst sitting in the back to try and hear my rattles.. i concluded that one is from the rear seat and theres another which seems to be coming from the tailgate. oh well atleast thats one less rattle.
bloody sooth iffricans... i just wanted a rattle free car!

so much for the old mk4 golf ad campaign with the guy driving with his wife and he hears a squeak... turns out to be his wife's earing... 'if only everything in life was built like a VW' *sigh*

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
thanks for the tip Don.. i just did it then. seems to work a treat. though im still yet to go for a drive.
another thing i remembered i did was when i first got the car i noticed a rattle in the rear.. i traced it down to the two rear seatbelt retainers knocking together. so i put one of those felt pad things. that cured it. i took a pic (sorry dodge camera phone)

Attachments

• Image049.jpg
    Image049.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 510

AJW

Go Kart Newbie
thank you for the tips! i spent a good 30mins being driven around by my friend whilst sitting in the back to try and hear my rattles.. i concluded that one is from the rear seat and theres another which seems to be coming from the tailgate. oh well atleast thats one less rattle.
bloody sooth iffricans... i just wanted a rattle free car!

so much for the old mk4 golf ad campaign with the guy driving with his wife and he hears a squeak... turns out to be his wife's earing... 'if only everything in life was built like a VW' *sigh*

Sounds like the same Tailgate rattle that I've got.
I knew about the back seat "tape-up" tip.
But for the life of me I can't find this tailgate rattle.
Seems to be worse when it's cold, sounds like two pieces of metal rattling together.
I've pulled the plastic covering off the inside of the hatch - nothing in there.
Pulled off the plastic covering where the hatch closes nothing there.
Pulled out the spare tire and jack no difference.
Had my wife drive the car around while I've been in the boot :biggrin: but I still can't find the noise.

Hadn't found the seatbelt retainers one yet so I just put some felt in there and I'll see how that goes.
But I'm sure it's not that.

The only weird one I've found is the rear shock covers?
If you look outside the car at the rear wheel then look at the shocks they have a plastic cover that is held at the top by rubber.
If you move this cover they can rattle on the shocks.
But I'm not sure if it's this or not, seems more inside the car and on the passengers side.

GTI-07

Banned
Car(s)
GTI 07
here my 2 cents worth, i reckon it could be the locking mechanism inside the back of the seat. as ur drive along the bolt? or the locking system with the spring maybe knocking agianst each other. shrugs, i reckon just turn up the radio does the trick or have the windows down with GIAC kickin in:p
lol