GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BackSeat Rattles... of the wrong kind

sausage

Ready to race!
I sometimes hear rattle where the seat belt pull out (driver seat).. anyone know anything abt this? its very slight and doesn't happen all the time... but when it happens... its just right next to you...
I tried adjusting the height of the seat belt but doesn't fix it

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
thats interesting AJW... glad im not alone there. i originally thought it was the bits that cover the access holes to the rear lights and the one in the middle for the emergency boot release but i took them out and i still got the rattles. i too have found it sounds like its coming from the passenger side. but i think thats just something to do with the way the sound bounces around inside the cabin.
i think it might be the latch if anything. i even tried driving around one night when it was really late with the tail gate open and there was no rattle. lol the exhaust sounded awesome though! and the DSG fart sounded really weird.
lol with the tail gate closed i had never been driven around in the back of my GTI and now i know what im missing out on! the exhaust note sounds so nice when in the back!

AJW

Go Kart Newbie
thats interesting AJW... glad im not alone there. i originally thought it was the bits that cover the access holes to the rear lights and the one in the middle for the emergency boot release but i took them out and i still got the rattles. i too have found it sounds like its coming from the passenger side. but i think thats just something to do with the way the sound bounces around inside the cabin.
i think it might be the latch if anything. i even tried driving around one night when it was really late with the tail gate open and there was no rattle. lol the exhaust sounded awesome though! and the DSG fart sounded really weird.
lol with the tail gate closed i had never been driven around in the back of my GTI and now i know what im missing out on! the exhaust note sounds so nice when in the back!

You could be right about the latch, I put a lot of grease on the mech. and have some tape around the "bolt - bit" where the latch closes on to.
But it's still doing it.
Interestingly the tape hardly has a mark on it so it must be a loose fit.
I might try a bit more tape and see what happens.
I was going to try the open hatch technique but you've done the test for me :biggrin: .
It was interesting riding in the boot with no seat belt especially as my wife's not used to the bakes.
I felt sick when I got out :barf:

Panman

Frequent Modder
There is a known fault where the reflector in the passenger side taillight comes loose (Austral VW reckon they've replaced 10-15 in MK Vs).

Not the fault in mine, sounds a lot more like the cold rattle described above.

Only happens first thing in the morning than as the day warms up seems to go away.

Hmmmmmmm,

Vagabond

Great Teutonic Invention
Car(s)
2009 S3 Sportback
AJW - I have a tailgate rattle too but it goes away if you slam the hatch closed really hard. I asked them to adjust it at the first service and they said "It can't be adjusted that's how they are". (yeah right:thumbdown: )

My most annoying interior rattle seems to me (and I could be wrong it's hard to pinpoint) to be coming from the front passenger seat. I also get the seatbelt metal catch banging against the side of the passenger seat when the car is changing angles like going over a driveway entrance or massive speedbumps.

Buccaneer

Ready to race!
AJW - I have a tailgate rattle too but it goes away if you slam the hatch closed really hard. I asked them to adjust it at the first service and they said "It can't be adjusted that's how they are". (yeah right:thumbdown: )

Sounds like the boot opening's flap (its a plastic piece that hides the internal mechanism / cushions the upper boot's teeth when it comes down located at the very edge of your boot) is damaged or mis-aligned.

My guess anyway since I know that when this piece is removed, you get a clang sound.

AJW

Go Kart Newbie
I don't think it's the plastic flap - I've got some felt on that also - didn't make a difference.
I put some thicker tape around the hatch-catch-bolt, seems a bit better but it might be because it's warmer in Sydney at the moment.

Vagabond

Great Teutonic Invention
Car(s)
2009 S3 Sportback
I've had my GTI since early May 2005 (literally one of the first Australian GTI's deleivered) so it's well over two years old already.
The problem has been there since day1 and TBH I've just learned to live with it - probably the wrong approach I know..

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
i literally woke up last night with this idea in my head. i rememberd how all cars with their boots/ tailgates have in each corner those little adjustable rubber stoppers that you can wind out and in. so this morning i went to my car and tried to see if i could adjust them.. i thought by winding them right out the boot would be more secure as the movement would be greatly reduced. to my surprise i found that the stoppers were like none i have seen... you couldnt simply wind them in and out like a screw!! bloody germans! on closer inspection i saw that they have a square thread?! anyone here know how to adjust these things?? it could be potentially be my cure to a rattle free bliss!

dodgey

Not a VW owner
on closer inspection i saw that they have a square thread?! anyone here know how to adjust these things?? it could be potentially be my cure to a rattle free bliss!

I think, you can pull the rubber stopper off, and then if you look inside the hole, you'll see that it has a hex/allen key type head that you would need to unscrew. I could be wrong though...

zz2

VAG expert
Car(s)
GTI V
i think i have fixed it!!! i got my alan wrenches out and adjusted the rubber stops on the tailgate.. i pulled them as far out as i could and im pretty sure my car is now rattle free. driving it home tonight i didnt hear one rattle!!! well theres still the broken door trim rattling but theres no tail gate noise!! the trick to adjusting those stoppers is to completely undo the grub-screw inside it and then just pull it out to the desired location. then you simply just tighten the grub screw back up again and its set!
btw if any one is still unsure on what to do and wants me to take some pics then i can do it for you :thumbsup:

oh and i found out another way to highlight rattles in your cabin.. so no more searching for bumpy roads.. just drive at about 20-50kph and using small movements sharp turns quickly move the steering wheel from left to right. try and get the smallest yet fastest swerves possible.. and it will create the right vibrations to highlight most rattles.
oh another thing.. dont do it when ppl are around they might think you are crazy or a tool. :bellyroll: