GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

B-Rabbit - 2009 VW Rabbit 2.5

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey everyone,

I am from Newfoundland, but currently live in Ontario. Most of my VWs are back home in Newfoundland.
Have a few projects but this is the daily, the budget beater, my 2009 rabbit "B-Rabbit", yeah thats an 8-mile reference.

Got it with about 90,000. The paint is rough, has the usual front fender issues, rock chips, scratches, dings etc.
But its pretty nice overall.

When we found it for sale:

At home:

Repping VOGN.org and The Dub Show.

With the Colonel:

All packed up, ready for the road trip to Ontario:

After 36 hours, 2900 kms on the road plus 7 hour ferry ride, the bunny and I make it to Ontario:

Before I left, I scored some OEM roof bars:

And some free bike carriers from kijiji, just had to fix them up and replace some parts:

Few pics with my girlfriends 2014 Jetta TSI:

Friend of my landlord has a MK1 Bunny:

First good detailing:

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Had a tire issue and had to put the winters on early this fall. Picked these wheels and winter tires up before I left NL.

Winters cleaned up:

My bunny and the gf's Jetta about to suffer through winter. Hopefully a few minor changes to both come spring:

And not too long after, here comes the snow:

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
This is a very budget build, have other projects that get priority, but I cant keep the daily stock.

Got a euro plate:

Extra set of OEM lights picked up for cheap to joey mod:

Smoked side markers to go with the soon to be joey modded headlights:

H&R Super Sports to get low on a budget:

Picked up a set of Audi S-line replicas for a good deal with rubber:

jad413

Ready to race!
Nice bunny! One word of advice- those super sports will drop you about 2", the handling is great and the look is about as good as you'll get without going coilovers, but the ride is quite stiff. Having these and watching for potholes has given me an anxiety disorder. Mine are on Koni str.t struts too, but I imagine stock struts would be about as bad for travel.

Sent from my iPhone

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the advice :)
They were just really cheap so its good for this summer. Its that or nothing for now. Perhaps later I will be able to put something better on it. Im expecting a harsh ride and for the struts to be blown in no time haha.

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Got the tires removed:

Back from sandblasting, on the left:

Centers sanded down:

All clean and ready for primer:

Coat of primer:

Light sanding and ready for color:

The color for the wheels, bronze burst metallic. Has a dark chocolate brown look, but when the light hits it you get the bronze metallic.

Zach L

VR junkie
This is going to be a great build! I really enjoy budget projects for daily drivers from non-newbs.

Post up your experience with separating the lights... they used an epoxy on most mk5 lights instead of adhesive like they did on earlier generations. I'm about to embark on the same frustrating procedure myself. I bought replacement plastic lenses to replaced the fogged ones on my OEM xenon housings.

Digging the bronze burst

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Hoping to tackle the lights soon so I will definitely update on how it goes.
Excited for the spring to come to get this all together. Almost done collecting parts.

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Caps done. They look really dark chocolate brown normally, but when the light hits you get that bronze metallic. Looks great.

Wheels:

Color shot on the wheels:

Into the oven:

And done:

Super happy with how they turned out, will definitely fit the theme of the car.
Got the wheels and tires, tires removed, sand blasting, primer, color, tires mounted and balanced for a total of just over $600. Perfect for a budget bunny.

Colonel_Mustard

Passed Driver's Ed
Took the wheels outside just to check them out:

Then had this happen on the drive home:

Misfire. Swapped around a coilpack and the code stayed on the same cylinder, so ordered some new plugs.

DerekH

Ready to race!
I've found its good practice to change the plugs on these cars sooner than you are suppose to. They run much better and idle much smoother.