GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AWE Switchpath Exhaust Valve Motor vs. OEM Valve Motor - Are they the Same?

Optima

Ready to race!
Does anyone know if the Exhaust Valve Motors are the same between an AWE SwitchPath and the OEM MK7 Golf R Exhaust?

Pretty sure I've got a motor that's going bad (or has carbon buildup) and want to try to swap on one from my OEM Exhaust in storage.

Anyone done this?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
You sure the motors didn't get swapped off your oem exhaust onto the switch path? My milltek valved r exhaust transplanted the motors.

J Peterman

Go Kart Champion
Same motors, different valves. AWE, Milltek, Ford, and a bunch of other exhaust manufacturers use Helical exhaust valves which are supposedly have better construction than OEM.

Ford, Audi, Volvo also use the same motors on their valved exhausts and you can find them for cheap on EBay using those companies’ part numbers versus buying new from VAG.

Optima

Ready to race!
You sure the motors didn't get swapped off your oem exhaust onto the switch path? My milltek valved r exhaust transplanted the motors.

Exhaust was purchased used and had motors pre-installed.

Same motors, different valves. AWE, Milltek, Ford, and a bunch of other exhaust manufacturers use Helical exhaust valves which are supposedly have better construction than OEM.

Ford, Audi, Volvo also use the same motors on their valved exhausts and you can find them for cheap on EBay using those companies’ part numbers versus buying new from VAG.

You seem to know a lot about this. - Where can I source these parts (mechanical valves) - someone else mentioned "return springs" on a facebook group. Is there a way to source these parts and do you know who/where that is?

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Well the motors are the same and you have 2 spare so seems like this is resolved.