GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autotech hpfp failure with pics

gbkoen01

Car(s)
Mkv gti
Hopefully they are willing to refund some of my money but I'm doubtful. When the pump first failed I called them and they said 'it isn't a mechanical problem, take it to your tuner. When we know more information we'll be willing to work with you.'

firas1981

Ready to race!
We're the failures for a complete pump or just internals?

it was a complete failure for the whole pump. thanks god it didnt damage my whole engine. petrol were soaked into the oil.. the engine was overloaded with liquids and i had to take the injectors off to clean. big mess my friend

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Here's a question; APR states that even the wrong tightening of the retainer nut for the piston can cause problems and yet in Autotech's install instructions, they just say tighten the retainer nut without giving any torque specs...has anyone discovered what that torque for the piston-retainer nut is supposed to be?

Finder

Ready to race!
40 ft lbs

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
That's about what I got too...I checked my new oem and the torque ratchet clicked until I got to 42 lb*ft.

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Just got the APR stage 2 software, thinking about buying the IE internals for my HPFP and getting tuned to stage 2+. Zero intentions of buying a K04, I just want to get the most out of my K03.

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Yeah I'm still running the stock clutch.

So you think I should look into getting a stage 2 clutch before upgrading the pump and tune to stage 2+?

clockwise33

New York Giants Fanatic
Yeah I'm still running the stock clutch.

So you think I should look into getting a stage 2 clutch before upgrading the pump and tune to stage 2+?

My advise would be to either stay at S2 and put money into suspension or LSD, or go all out with an aftermarket clutch, HPFP, S3 injectors and K04.

The S2+ only increased low end torque and added no top end power. S2 already fell flat at high RPM and the S2+ just made it worse / more noticeable.

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
My advise would be to either stay at S2 and put money into suspension or LSD, or go all out with an aftermarket clutch, HPFP, S3 injectors and K04.

The S2+ only increased low end torque and added no top end power. S2 already fell flat at high RPM and the S2+ just made it worse / more noticeable.

That's very good advice. Thank you!

I think that means I'm done adding power mods, I guess that means it's time to work on the suspension and the mounts. Maybe get the car wrapped and a new set of wheels.

I'm not building a race car after all, just something fun and something that will beat my friends SRT-4, lol.

I don't like the feel of most aftermarket performance clutches and I don't have like 3 or 4 grand of extra cash to dump into performance mods for a 12 year old car, the wife would divorce me.

Last edited:

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
That's very good advice. Thank you!

I think that means I'm done adding power mods, I guess that means it's time to work on the suspension and the mounts. Maybe get the car wrapped and a new set of wheels.

I'm not building a race car after all, just something fun and something that will beat my friends SRT-4, lol.

I don't like the feel of most aftermarket performance clutches and I don't have like 3 or 4 grand of extra cash to dump into performance mods for a 12 year old car, the wife would divorce me.

Yeah, the k03 just don’t flow enough. I even had buddy with srt4 neon with limited slip factory but still spins tires in 1st 3 gears cause it makes over 300 easy. Just like my evo 8 made power easy cause it had a real turbo. If these cars had k04 stock plus better rods at the same gti price point (even GLI k04 also) they would have better output potential from the beginning

5aprilc

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI
Yeah and I really can't afford to upgrade to a K04 and buy all the supporting stuff that would go along with it. I was really just trying to max out the K03, but it sounds like stage 2+ isn't worth it since I still have stock clutch.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
Small turbos strength is the spool up & instant response. Runs outta breath after that punch. Even s2+ is not gonna be allot better for the cost. They don’t even make aggressive cams for these right? I know the 268/246s for my r32 are 1500 alone. Cars like evos upgrade cams with tune on stock turbo & are fun in the top end.