GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Autotech fuel pump installation

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
Has anyone here installed the autotech fuel pump internals?

Haven't yet, but will be soon as I have a K04 sitting on my shelf waiting to go in.

Are you not sure how to do it? AWE used to also have a great video posted up on how to install the internals. Probably a better guide than the Autotech.

apollosfury

designeddwk
autotech is so tempting. but i dont' want to fuss possible self installation errors.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI

Chris@RT

Banned
Pulling the fuse doesn't always work if the system is primed the hpfp can actually suck fuel right through the electric pump, i've driven my car around with the in tank pump completely unplugged..

pulling the fuse works if you pull it then the car sits a bit and pressure bleeds off so it can't draw from the tank due to the air pocket, it will run on the remaining fuel and shut down.

Also as mentioned not every pump has a bleed valve, most of those are early cars so if you have had the pump replaced or a later 07-08 you probably have one.

If you don't just crack the fitting slowly with a rag over it (so it doesn't spray you) and it will bleed down.

HereToday

Banned
Has anyone here installed the autotech fuel pump internals?

I've installed plenty of these.
The pressure relief valve is under the black screw cap on the battery side of the hpfp. You'll unscrew the cap and then there is a push pin relief just get a small flat head screw driver and push the pin up. Even after releasing pressure you want to wrap the hard lines with some paper towels, some gas will still leak out of the hard line when you unscrew it on the bottom of the hpfp.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
I've installed plenty of these.
The pressure relief valve is under the black screw cap on the battery side of the hpfp. You'll unscrew the cap and then there is a push pin relief just get a small flat head screw driver and push the pin up. Even after releasing pressure you want to wrap the hard lines with some paper towels, some gas will still leak out of the hard line when you unscrew it on the bottom of the hpfp.

How do you feel about this pump since you've installed plenty of these??

HereToday

Banned
How do you feel about this pump since you've installed plenty of these??

It does the job. There have been enough revisions that having piston and sleeve seize up isn't really an issue any more. As far as leaky seals go reusing the stock ones with a stepped piston ehh, When I switched from my rebuild to my APR pump I'll admit there was measureably better rail pressure. Only in the lower rpms which is where the pumps have trouble, when cam is just ramping up. I believe it was about 2-4 bar not a huge difference but it was more then I had ever logged on the rebuild.

As far as cam follower wear and relations to pumps? I've seen just about the same rate between kmd which is AT styled and APR's. Biggest difference being the pivoting tip but for me whether my cam was previously scored or not skewing my results is in the air. I've posted pics but there were arguments. I never had a follower fail on my car and the first one was changed at about 25k.

As far as installing an AT rebuild I could have the pump off and back the car in about 30 mins tops. As long as they didn't have a frigging banjo bolt line. :mad0259:

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
It does the job. There have been enough revisions that having piston and sleeve seize up isn't really an issue any more. As far as leaky seals go reusing the stock ones with a stepped piston ehh, When I switched from my rebuild to my APR pump I'll admit there was measureably better rail pressure. Only in the lower rpms which is where the pumps have trouble, when cam is just ramping up. I believe it was about 2-4 bar not a huge difference but it was more then I had ever logged on the rebuild.

As far as cam follower wear and relations to pumps? I've seen just about the same rate between kmd which is AT styled and APR's. Biggest difference being the pivoting tip but for me whether my cam was previously scored or not skewing my results is in the air. I've posted pics but there were arguments. I never had a follower fail on my car and the first one was changed at about 25k.

As far as installing an AT rebuild I could have the pump off and back the car in about 30 mins tops. As long as they didn't have a frigging banjo bolt line. :mad0259:

thanks for your insight on this specific pump. I'm sticking with the stock K03 for now so it looks like the AT pump it is, since the dealer just replaced my cam and cam follower less than 3k miles ago they said fuel pump was perfect. Unfortunately i do have the banjo style, i should be able to knock this bad boy out with no problems, i've done a follower on it already.