GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto Insurance; who's the cheapest?

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
I been with Geico for prolly 12, 13 years now. In the last five years no moving violations or claims. Geico just raised my total $50 basically because they are ghey. I have a 97 Dakota and the 07 GTI. Currently I pay $2880 a year with Geico. But Cure quoted me $2260 a year. What is the best way to shop for auto insurance to get a true apples to apples quote? Im pretty sure the info I gave Cure for my quote matched my Geico policy but Im not positive. I hate shopping for auto insurance but why should I have to pay more when I always pay my bill and never ask for anything in return? BTW, progressive wanted even more (not sure why).

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Are you military/former military? USAA is hands down the best rates for coverage in the country, but not everyone can get them.

If not, try All State; they have pretty solid "good driver" policies that would likely save you money as well.

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
Mercury is the cheapest for me, but not available in all states. i'm paying about $700-800 a year for full coverage.

MkVBlkMgc

Wir wollen lebensraum!
Car(s)
'08 GTI DSG
I use Erie Insurance (they're independent - go through a broker) and I'm paying about $1600 a year for four cars (three of them full coverage).

racinrabbit

Professional Wheelman
State Farm has given me the best rates. I pay just under $1300/yr and thats with an accident and speeding ticket on my record. Full coverage too.

Amped96

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'08 GTI
I have geico and they are not cheap on the GTI. My girlfriend has a rabbit and we're on the same policy and my GTI coverage is like double that of her rabbit. I checked with progressive and allstate and they were all within a couple bucks.

pavlo1994

Cruisin in my Emm-Kay-4
same problem here. My dad has 3 cars on insurance. 05 corolla, 08 rabbit, and a 97 bmw.

the rabbit has half coverage, corolla and bmw had full. because corolla was financed and bmw was for a new driver.

Well we dropped the full coverage off the 2 (bmw and corolla) and it supposively went down $760

Now we was paying like $3xxx for insurance.

We recieved a bill for 6 months and the rabbit was raised from 710- 980. WTF so when i called all they told me was oh the insurance company raised it for everyone.

On a hunt for insurance also. try IFA? i heard they have somethin ok. I'll be trying travelers too

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
Yea Im gonna try some more companies its just hard to get a quote with all same factors. Maybe I should get a copy of my drivers abstract. Im noticing what ever auto insurance company I call, they usually have a "For New jersey Drivers press one" option. It should just say "If you live in NJ, press one and prepare to bend over."

Jersey UG MKV

Plastidipping Fool
You can't ask this question because there are way too many factors that decide your rate with each company.

Major factors in NJ are credit score, zip code, driving record

North Jersey is really high and even causes us in s. Jersey to pay more than we should. Most rates are high because NJ government sucks.

Cure is the worlds worst company, stay away.

If you have been with a certain company for a while, it will be hard to get a better deal, unless you sacrafice coverages, Cure is know for not giving you what you need to be cheaper.

Don't listen to a thing anyone says in here, unless they are from your area because the same car, same driver, same everything, but another state would be totally different.

I was an agent with State Farm, trust me I know

dpham00

Modérateur Emeritus
I have geico and they are not cheap on the GTI. My girlfriend has a rabbit and we're on the same policy and my GTI coverage is like double that of her rabbit. I checked with progressive and allstate and they were all within a couple bucks.

I had Geico before. checked with Mercury, and it was about half of Geico!

Always worth it to check around, can save a good chunk of change. :thumbsup:

Chris@RT

Banned
You can't ask this question because there are way too many factors that decide your rate with each company.

Really thats too, way too many factors.

One person may be cheaper on geico and more with all state and the next person same car exact car may be more with geico and cheaper with all state.

I know online is easy but in NJ you have to go through an agent at the end of the day anyway, whether its online and they do it through an agent or you call an agent it gets written through an agent. Get a copy of your current coverage, comparing insurance without knowing if the coverage is the same or not is a waste of time. Send that to several agents in your area that work for different insurance companies tell them you want quotes on a policy 100% the same. Compare from there.

Also the options and stuff they advertsie, we'll use all-state as an example since htey advertise the most. That good drive discount you pay for it.. yes it costs more to save money over time. Full car value pay out, you pay for it isn't just automatic you get it. You can do a quote on all states website and get like 13 difference prices for the same "coverage" the only difference is the options.

The biggest factor in NJ is tort. This is basically the right for you to sue someone above and beyond actual damages/losses. You get hurt you are out of work you can sue for lost pay but you can't sue for pain and suffering because you couldn't wack off for a month while both arms were in casts. In the state of NJ you can waive your right to tort. This will usually knock off about 1/3 of your liability. So if your liability was 900 bucks it will now be 600 bucks. Yes you saved 300 bucks but you have given up this right, depends how much that is worth to you. I am not one for lawsuits and wouldn't expect more then my bills paid so i waived the right and saved a few bucks, it may be more important to you. This s one thing that when you get a quote in NJ they will often take off at first and low ball you, then hit you with it later and say oh yeah if you want to add this back its X amount more.. So look out for that.

The only company I have seen be consistently lower in NJ is NJ manufactures, not easy to get into have to work for a company that uses it or be a state employee, but it will be lower then almost anything else apples to apples. My dad compares every year and its lower by several hundred bucks.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
State Farm, All-State, Progressive all got crushed by hundreds of dollars a year for me by switching to Famers Insurance and I even got way higher coverage with it. I've told a handful of people about Farmers, and they've all saved when switching. If you have an agent in your area, ckeck'em out.