GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audio went out after hitting bump in the road

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Yeah so I hit a suuuuper minor bump in the road as I was just driving home. Nothing crazy but granted I am lowered. My audio went off immediately after that... Any idea what that could be? 😖

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Screen go black or just no sound? You got a unit in the glovebox or no? I'd start with a loose connection somewhere. Hopefully it was just a fluke and it came back on the next time you drove.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Screen go black or just no sound? You got a unit in the glovebox or no? I'd start with a loose connection somewhere. Hopefully it was just a fluke and it came back on the next time you drove.

Just no sound. Screen works perfect. Can see the volume go up and down when I turn the knob, just no output. What do mean unit in the glove box?

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Are you using the radio, bluetooth, or carplay/android auto?

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Do you have a cd player in the glovebox? If so the audio connections are behind it.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Yeah so this morning the audio was back. I do use bluetooth to play music from phone to the head unit. I think there is a cd player in the glove box now that you mention it but I never used it.

Hopefully it was just a minor hiccup. If it happens again, I'm going to assume it is a loose connection somewhere.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Weird, the only place where a loose connection would take out all of your speakers (and leave the screen on and responsive) is the quadlock in back of the main unit (in the glovebox). It has locking lever that holds the entire thing in. If it was pushed in, but the lever not fully locked, a good bump could cause an issue. But I would expect the screen to turn off as well.

It is possible the block (within the quadlock) that has the speakers wires is loose though. It's not easy to remove or reinstall, but could be your problem. Should be the tan colored block in there, iirc.

Last edited:

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Weird, the only place where a loose connection would take out all of your speakers (and leave the screen on and responsive) is the quadlock in back of the main unit (in the glovebox). It has locking lever that holds the entire thing in. If the it was pushed in, but the lever not fully locked, a good bump could cause an issue. But I would expect the screen to turn off as well.

It is possible the block (within the quadlock) that has the speakers wires is loose though. It's not easy to remove or reinstall, but could be your problem. Should be the tan colored block in there, iirc.
Thanks for the advise. If it does happen again, maybe I'll start there then. So far so good but at this point I know it just might take another bumpity bump to kill it. I've hit far worse bumps with no issues. Perhaps it's been the accumulation of bumps that has loosened up the connection, lol.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Hey guys, so I might of blown this out of preportion. It may have been as simple and as stupid as that my phone's volume went all the way down. I'm not entirely sure how that could of happened from a bump but I found today when everything was working, I went back to my bluetooth music and had no sound. I checked the phone itself and hit the volume up side button and viola, audio was back. I'm still scratching my head how the hell the bump would of triggered the phone to audio down even if I had it sitting in the side door pocket. I mean the phone has a case and those buttons are hard to press. A bump wouldn't have created enough force to press the button as deep as it is required to make it go down. So I dunno wtf happened. I'm happy though that this is all it appeared to be as of now.

It's funny because I googled, hit a bump in road and audio went off last night after this happened and there are so many links related to that scenario so it's not out of the ordinary entirely to occur. Though as of now, I think I'm good. Thanks for everyone that chimed in. I learned some areas to check in the event it does happen again in my futures so it wasn't all for nothing :)

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Hey guys, so I might of blown this out of preportion. It may have been as simple and as stupid as that my phone's volume went all the way down. I'm not entirely sure how that could of happened from a bump but I found today when everything was working, I went back to my bluetooth music and had no sound. I checked the phone itself and hit the volume up side button and viola, audio was back. I'm still scratching my head how the hell the bump would of triggered the phone to audio down even if I had it sitting in the side door pocket. I mean the phone has a case and those buttons are hard to press. A bump wouldn't have created enough force to press the button as deep as it is required to make it go down. So I dunno wtf happened. I'm happy though that this is all it appeared to be as of now.

It's funny because I googled, hit a bump in road and audio went off last night after this happened and there are so many links related to that scenario so it's not out of the ordinary entirely to occur. Though as of now, I think I'm good. Thanks for everyone that chimed in. I learned some areas to check in the event it does happen again in my futures so it wasn't all for nothing :)
It's always something dumb. We got a new tv and couldn't get the signal from the cable box to come through. After fucking with the menus on the tv for at least half an hour it finally hit me...The cable box is wired to the sound system and then the sound system to the tv...and the sound system was off.