GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ATTENTION HERMAN MILLER AERON USERS

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I have a fully loaded Remastered in size B. I'm 6-0 165.
I decided it was time to upgrade my old chair and thought I would be doing myself (and my posture) a favor by getting the Aeron. For the record, I had no issues with the old chair. But I had a habit of slouching in it.
First few days were great, then towards the end of the 1st week, I started feeling a little discomfort.
That went away over the weekend but started right back up on Monday morning where it had left off.
That was about 3 weeks ago now, and I'm still just not comfortable in this chair.
The issue I'm having is in my lower back, which is strange to me since this is a chair that is supposed to HELP people with back pain.
Anyway, it is sort of just an uncomfortable, dull aching. Not like shooting pains or anything like that.
I am not ready to blame the chair, but instead am currently blaming my own body.
At this point I feel that it is me with the issue, and not the chair. It just feels like my lower back is tired, like my body is in a way that it is not used to, and is adjusting itself, and because of that, sort of sore. Like having braces.
But now I'm wondering, at what point do I throw in the towel? And that's why I'm here.
Did anyone have to go through an adjustment period before they got totally comfortable in their Aeron? Because I feel like I've gone backwards. I have been messing with the Posturefit, but can't really decide what feels right (or is right) for me.
If this is just my body getting used to it, then great, I'll deal with it. After all the whole reason I got the thing was to help promote better posture at my desk. And if this is how it has to happen then so be it. But there is no way I can live like this forever...
So yeah, were you all comfortable in your chair right away? Or did it take some time getting used to?

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
I've heard of others having an issue with this chair, some get used to it while others had to turn it back in. If you can swing it and i know it would be hard to i would go with their embody

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
I had one for a few years. My legs got sensitive right at the point on the seat where the mesh rolled over the foam. I finally gave up and bought an OfficeMaster. I have two of them, one at home and one at the office. I have had sensitivity where the bones in my butt hit the seat. IMHO it's all due to weight and sitting 12+ hours a day for 25+ years.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I have an adjustment to every chair I get, even when I get a new car. I bought a Steelcase Leap and it took me about a week until my back was comfortable with it.

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
I have one of the originals with the lumbar support. I have had no adverse issues, I bought it to deal with lower back pain from poor posture, and it has solved that problem.

Note that the proper seating position probably isn't anywhere close to what you are used to. You have to break your habits when it comes to sitting. Watch the video on their site and adjust the chair appropriately. Most important is sitting with your feet flat on the floor and your legs in an L-position.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Thank you all for the replies!

I had one for a few years. My legs got sensitive right at the point on the seat where the mesh rolled over the foam. I finally gave up and bought an OfficeMaster. I have two of them, one at home and one at the office. I have had sensitivity where the bones in my butt hit the seat. IMHO it's all due to weight and sitting 12+ hours a day for 25+ years.
This is one of the more common issues I've read about. But for me, this has not been a problem. And that is part of my issue. Most of the complaints that people have are not the complaints I have.
I can't recall people complaining about lower back issues at all. Which is entirely what I'm having. Why leads me to believe that it is just taking a while for my body to get used to the new seating position.
My old office chair was a Sparco R100 on a rolling base lol. I dont think that was doing me any favors. In fact, I know it wasn't hence the switch.
I have an adjustment to every chair I get, even when I get a new car. I bought a Steelcase Leap and it took me about a week until my back was comfortable with it.
This is another thing I see. When people do complain about back issues, they are typically gone in around a week. I'm going week 3 and it just does not seem to be getting any better I don't think...
I have one of the originals with the lumbar support. I have had no adverse issues, I bought it to deal with lower back pain from poor posture, and it has solved that problem.
Note that the proper seating position probably isn't anywhere close to what you are used to. You have to break your habits when it comes to sitting. Watch the video on their site and adjust the chair appropriately. Most important is sitting with your feet flat on the floor and your legs in an L-position.
Yeah I have been fiddling with the adjustments non-stop, and that may be part of my problem.
I think I have it to where it is finally most comfortable (bearable) and I'm just going to leave it at this point and see how it goes.
I'm inclined to say that you are right when it comes to my sitting habits. The whole reason I got this chair in particular was to help my posture.
So I'm holding out hope that this discomfort is just temporary as my body gets used to the better, correct, posture.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
If you’ve had it for three weeks and it isn’t getting any better I’d say it probably never will. If you can return or exchange it for something else.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
If you’ve had it for three weeks and it isn’t getting any better I’d say it probably never will. If you can return or exchange it for something else.

Yeah that is sort of what I was thinking. I copy/pasted this on the HM Reddit and there were a couple people that said it took them well over a month to get all dialed in.
I'm going to hang in there and see what happens...
I only just now got all the settings just right I think. I'll give myself a break this weekend and see what next week brings lol.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
DBP 4 door GTI
I've had one of these for nearly 3 years now

between previous overnight work projects conducted from my computer, gaming sessions, netflix/movies/youtube, and now with COVID Work From Home measures in place for nearly 4 months now; I don't even want to think about how many hours I've clocked in this thing so far.

Never had any discomfort or issues or even any wear and tear on it.

Edit: as a note, I think i've got about 5 days of time clocked in World of Warcraft alone from this chair. And I don't even play that much WoW.

Last edited:

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
Yeah I have been fiddling with the adjustments non-stop, and that may be part of my problem.
I think I have it to where it is finally most comfortable (bearable) and I'm just going to leave it at this point and see how it goes.
I'm inclined to say that you are right when it comes to my sitting habits. The whole reason I got this chair in particular was to help my posture.
So I'm holding out hope that this discomfort is just temporary as my body gets used to the better, correct, posture.
One of the guys I know had some severe back pain from sitting at his chair in work. He got his employer to get him a better chair, and then he actually strapped himself into the chair (like a seat belt) to make him sit properly. As I type this, I notice that I'm not sitting with proper posture either. Feet flat on floor!

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
DBP 4 door GTI
Also wanted to drop another line that standing desks are amazing. At my office we got them and I didn't have a chair at my desk for about 5 months until I hurt an ankle and then switched to alternating between standing/sitting as I feel like it pretty much.

Very nice to not be restricted to sitting down to get work done.

And also surprisingly affordable and compact for the home.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
One of the guys I know had some severe back pain from sitting at his chair in work. He got his employer to get him a better chair, and then he actually strapped himself into the chair (like a seat belt) to make him sit properly. As I type this, I notice that I'm not sitting with proper posture either. Feet flat on floor!

Yeah this chair that I'm in definitely forces you to sit up very straight.
I think I have had such bad chair posture for so long that my body/spine is used to that bad position. And because of that, now it is a literal shock to the system to be sitting correctly.
I do believe that is the main reason for my discomfort, and why it may take some people longer to get used to this chair than others, because of how bad their posture may be.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I have a Size B produced in 2004 or so. I'm 5'9" and 140lb, I've been completely comfortable since day one.

I had a Size C that I traded for my current B, and that was way too big for my frame. Felt like I was swimming in the chair.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
So I removed the Posturefit system and I think that may have helped...hard to tell at this point in the day since my spine is already sore from sitting in it today lol.
But even at its lowest setting it must have still been hitting my back enough to bother it.
After I removed it, I reached around the seatback and touched where my spine was hurting the most and it was dead center of where the upper pad was....