GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are You a Fast & Furious Fan?

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
That's common practice. It's incredibly difficult, and often impossible, to record that stuff on location. Foley work is what makes a movie, from an audio perspective.

I've got to film a Porsche soon, and I'll be doing the same thing. The recordings won't happen out there when filming.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I haven't looked at the link, but I know it had a fake blower too. Typical Hollywood. I am a fan of the franchise though, the last Paul Walker movie had too much CGI, but the tribute was emotional.

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
I get a real kick out of the films. It's a lot of fun watching what is technically possible being pushed to the absolute limit of reason.

That characters are fun, as well; and their tribute to Paul Walker was amazing. I don't want to spoil that for anyone who hasn't seen it, but it was damned solid.

It hits harder if you've followed the series for a long time.

You can't really build the cars for real, aside from the hero cars (the cars designed for close-ups). Many crazy scenes are made of quite a few individual shots stitched together; because you have to get it right the first time. Every mistake is an entire crew resetting on the clock; and it can take days or even weeks. Some seemingly simple, five minute fight scenes in films can take several months to complete.

So, they have a pile of cars that are mostly identical in appearance. They're each used for different things. While it's entirely possible to drift a certain way, if that camera isn't right on the car, they won't waste their $200,000 build to get the shot. The same goes for setup. When you need to pull a specific move several times in a row, crew and cameras are around, and safety is a priority, you'll want a car set up for that specifically, with the handbrake a couple of inches from the steering wheel.

It's not that you can't do it in a normal car. The problem is doing it on command, in only a few takes, surrounded by people and obstacles in one of only a few cars set up to do it. It needs to be as consistent as possible; and generally it's not happening too fast in reality. Quite a few cars end up being filmed on trailers for interior shots; I've done it myself. It's strange-feeling, but if the editors are good, you can't tell.

The show Supernatural has a pile of those Impalas. One is even cut to ribbons and just about half gone for interior filming, one is set up for crashing, one for slides, and so on. Time is money.

James Bond is famous for having real cars with real gadgets, but make no mistake: They've got five more where that came from with fiberglass bodies, or piss-poor bodywork that won't show up, and no further features.

All this fancy stuff has to be nearly entirely predictable.