GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are Discount Tire's Road Hazard Certificates worth it?

Turbo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
I'm usually not the kind of person who buys extended warranties. Within two weeks of getting my GTI, I got a screw through the outermost tread block on a tire. All the tire stores tell me they can't patch it because it is too close to the sidewall. I have plugged it for the moment. That's not a good long-term fix.

So I've shopped around for a new 18" Conti tire and Discount Tire seems to have the best deal right now. (yes, I checked tirerack.com.) My question is should I get the "Certificate For Free Replacement" at $27/tire? It would have paid for itself with this screw, but what are the odds of this happening again?

I know some of you on this forum work at Discount Tire. Give me the scoop. Am I just throwing my money at DT if I buy this? Do these softer Summer tire compounds tend get more punctures than harder 60K mile tires? With low profile tires am I more likely to get un-repairable damage (where I'd be more likely to use the certificates) if I lose pressure?

Discount Tire's web site says this about the certificate:
"In the event one or more of your tires fail due to defect, or incurs damage that cannot be repaired, Discount Tire will replace it absolutely FREE. Regardless of the number of miles you put on the tires, you will be covered for the life of the original tread down to 3/32" remaining, or 3 years from the date of purchase."

Cheers,
Alex

Kauz

Go Kart Newbie
I would say YES. I'm definitely getting warranty on my next set of tires. This is coming from a guy that's had 6 nails removed, ran something over that sliced my tire (almost not repairable) and a bubble on a sidewall, which i had to buy another tire ($230), all within 5 months. SO YES...it WORTH IT, GET ROAD HAZARD COVERAGE! =)

YES!

Get the Road Hazard Warranty. My GTI was one day old and got a nail through the tread/sidewall radius; could not plug it. Bought the Discount Tire Road Hazard Warranty the next day and they replace the tire for free.
I noticed that now the VW dealers are selling the Road Hazard Warranty in-house; buy it with your new car.

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
the thing with other companies road hazard program (not DTC) they will usually go to pro-rated after the first year or less. There is no other company in the US that will replace a tire for free if you damage it beyond repair, no questions asked as long as your above 3/32 of tread.
I replace on average 10-15 tires per day for free with our road hazard program.
It is very worth it especially how the cost of tires is not going to go down any time soon and it would pay for itself after one time.

BTW I am a manager for DTC :thumbsup:

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
every 12 months put a nail in the sidewall and get new ones :D

Turbo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Wow, I didn't expect it to be unanimous. I have an appointment for 9:30 Monday morning. I'll be getting the certificates. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Alex

Turbo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 GTI
It's worth it, but $27 bucks per tire is pretty damn steep. We charge $15 flat for all tires up to $250 each.

Who's "we" and do you cover the tires for free, no questions asked, down to 3/32 inch of tread? Or is there some prorated cost involved? Also, are your shops in the US too? Just checking.

Cheers,
Alex

gtboost

Drag Racing Champion
Who's "we" and do you cover the tires for free, no questions asked, down to 3/32 inch of tread? Or is there some prorated cost involved? Also, are your shops in the US too? Just checking.

Cheers,
Alex

discount tires road hazard coverage is a percentage of the tire cost.

no they are not in the US, they dont fix for free, they dont maintain the tires for free, and he does not live in canada anyways so it doesnt matter

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!

Cheers,
Alex

"We" is the company I work for here in Vancouver. If someone buys a set from us with the Road Hazard policy, the tire is covered against all punctures or other issues until 2/32 tread, or four years since original purchase. In Layman's terms, they'll never be out of pocket to replace or repair a tire, and any one particular tire can only be repaired up to two times. It only is offered in house though, and like I said, $15 each (Canadian at that) for all tires up to $250.

discount tires road hazard coverage is a percentage of the tire cost.

no they are not in the US, they dont fix for free, they dont maintain the tires for free, and he does not live in canada anyways so it doesnt matter

Not sure if that was directed at me or not, but 1010 ships anywhere in the world. By 1010 I'm talking about our website, which I do NOT work for, and I'm not sure how they handle the road hazard stuff.