GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 2 in MA

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm thinking about going APR stage 2 and I live in Massachusetts. I understand that there is a chance that the car won't pass inspection after this due to emissions (APR downpipe does not have a sufficient catalytic converter?). I've been doing some research on this and would like some input on the options that I've gathered. First, it seems like some people will flash to stock and swap the downpipe to stock - this seems like a lot of work if I do it myself and money if I don't, so it's not optimal. I've also read about O2 spacers, I'm a bit foggier on this one - would it help pass the test because the test is administered through the OBD port and that data is obtained from the O2 sensor?

If there are other options, please let me know.

Thanks!

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
Yes. Move out of Ma and get tuned thru Cobb using EQT OTS or custom mapping.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes. Move out of Ma and get tuned thru Cobb using EQT OTS or custom mapping.

There wouldn't be an advantage on a Cobb/EQT tune in terms of inspection unless I've upgraded the downpipe to one with a high efficiency cat or something like that, right? So, other than that, the advantage would be the ability to flash to stock myself when it comes time to inspect.

Stija

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
BMW Saab Subaru VW
There wouldn't be an advantage on a Cobb/EQT tune in terms of inspection unless I've upgraded the downpipe to one with a high efficiency cat or something like that, right? So, other than that, the advantage would be the ability to flash to stock myself when it comes time to inspect.
You can flash yourself back and forth and recoup costs when done by selling AP. Also monitor live data for engine perf/health and diagnostic tool.

Not sure about cats and secondary oxygen sensors, my wrx doesn’t have those issues and catalyst monitor/oxyg sensors are ready for obd emission testing. Perhaps someone else chimes in with experience. Is Ma a sniff state or obd readiness state?

jonnyg

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I'm thinking about going APR stage 2 and I live in Massachusetts. I understand that there is a chance that the car won't pass inspection after this due to emissions (APR downpipe does not have a sufficient catalytic converter?). I've been doing some research on this and would like some input on the options that I've gathered. First, it seems like some people will flash to stock and swap the downpipe to stock - this seems like a lot of work if I do it myself and money if I don't, so it's not optimal. I've also read about O2 spacers, I'm a bit foggier on this one - would it help pass the test because the test is administered through the OBD port and that data is obtained from the O2 sensor?

If there are other options, please let me know.

Thanks!

Doesn't MA do visual inspection for everything, cat &exhaust even as far if vehicle is lowered, with state Cameras in inspection bays etc?

For Stage 2 most tuners disable the rear O2 sensor because an aftermarket DP is required. Having the ability to flash back to stock or Stg1 helps with this, as you wont pass inspection if the rear O2 doesnt meet readiness. That being said, even if you flashed back you would need a DP that doesnt give CEL (like AWE, and inspector doesnt flag it) or use a spacer on another DP (and hope inspector doesnt see it ) or put your OEM DP back on.

If I lived in MA, I think i would just do a custom etune with Cobb AP for Stage 1 with an IC and call it a day. Too many potential hassles.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
MA is a visual inspection and readiness state, but take it to the right local shop and you'll only have to be concerned with readiness.

Martin398

Ready to race!
I pass every year in Mass with an aftermarket catted DP with a spacer. I do have to flash back to stock, so like others have said I'd go Cobb AP (Unitronic and Eurodyne are other options but that's a different discussion) so that you can do it yourself without having to go to a shop and incur any additional cost.

and yes the inspection bays are under camera watch by the state (side note, the state forced that cost onto shop owners to comply with the state's mandate to have cameras. that system also went down the first 3 days it was to be in use, thereby forcing shops to refuse business because the mandate to have cameras had taken affect already, lol)

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I used to live in Mass. I liked the beaches etc. but moved because of gross infringement on my second amendment rights. Not to mention if you are into cars and modifying them it is NOT a good state to live in.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
I pass every year in Mass with an aftermarket catted DP with a spacer. I do have to flash back to stock, so like others have said I'd go Cobb AP (Unitronic and Eurodyne are other options but that's a different discussion) so that you can do it yourself without having to go to a shop and incur any additional cost.

and yes the inspection bays are under camera watch by the state (side note, the state forced that cost onto shop owners to comply with the state's mandate to have cameras. that system also went down the first 3 days it was to be in use, thereby forcing shops to refuse business because the mandate to have cameras had taken affect already, lol)

Which DP do you have?

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
Ah I can see your signature now...

Are there DPs that are known to pass without modification? I've heard of AWE for one maybe.

Martin398

Ready to race!
CTS catted down pipe.

other than MA having a legal tint level that is almost pointless, modifying cars here isn't overly restrictive that I'm aware of. been modifying cars for years with no big issues. only when it comes time for inspections, which is inconvenient but you can work around it swapping parts, etc.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
Just looked at CTS. Based on the description it sounds flawless for the situation. Anyone have experience passing emissions with one?