GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the 1.4 TSI ECU Upgrade!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI

Product Page

APR is pleased to present the ultimate engine control unit (ECU) upgrade for the 1.4T EA211 engine. APR’s ECU upgrade is available in octane-specific variations and is conveniently flashed to the vehicle’s factory ECU through the OBD-II port without any physical modification to the factory ECU.

APR’s ECU upgrades are one of the best horsepower-per-dollar modifications for the new 1.4T engine. The APR Stage I ECU Upgrade is designed to work without requiring other changes to the vehicle’s hardware. With the ECU Upgrade alone, APR’s Calibration Experts measured higher peak figures of 216 ft-lbs of torque and 168 horsepower with 98 RON fuel. Large gains were seen throughout the power band, including an additional 67 ft-lbs of torque and 43 horsepower. The increase in horsepower and torque directly translates to an exceptionally quicker vehicle!

For more information, please visit our product page.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I would be wary of expecting the gearbox to cope as usually the MQ200 gearbox is fitted to that engine.........so that's a limit of 200Nm (147Lb ft).....& even the 140/150PS engine version is fitted with the MQ250 gearbox which is limited 250Nm (184lb ft).

& you want to put 216lbft through it?..............do you warrant the gearbox & powertrain...........?????

Also your "stock" figures what fuel was it using ???.............as their are people on here with the 122PS version who dyno'd it before & after a chip tune & the car stock running on Shell Nitro was pulling circa 139bhp............therefore the gains are not all the result of the tune.............

Last edited:

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
We haven't tuned the 140/150 HP variants yet, so I don't have any answers on that front.

*keeping fingers crossed*
The Golf GTE (Hybrid) has the 150HP variant on board... I would gladly provide my GTE for testing, but then I would have to ship it to the United States... too bad... so I'll be watching this space closely!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Found at the bottom of APR product page ...

Stock As Reported by VAG 95 RON 122-125 HP 148 FT-LBS
Stock As Measured by APR (125 PS Model) 98 RON 127 HP 158 FT-LBS
APR Stage I 95 RON 161 HP 203 FT-LBS +34 HP @ 4,300 RPM +53 TQ @ 3,100 RPM
APR Stage I 98 RON 168 HP 216 FT-LBS +43 HP @ 4,200 RPM +67 TQ @ 3,200

That clears things up a bit regarding fuels........

I have been informed in the other APR thread that they do not offer warranties for the engine of powertrain.

MTM who do offer a warranty in certain countries (& in other countries their agent may offer the same)for this same engine (125PS) give you increase to:-150bhp @ 5,000-6,000rpm & 184lbft @ 2,300-4,000rpm.

ABT for the 122PS version engine offer increase to:- 160BHP @ 5,000-6,000rpm & 184lbft @ 2,500-4,000rpm....again as per MTM with a similar two year 100,00KM warranty depending on age of car

The reason for both the lower torque figures is that usually VW fit the MQ250 to this engine series which VW limit to 250Nm (184lbft).........

So APR tune even more torque than two of the most respected tuners in Europe do & yet do not offer a warranty (unlike them) just in case the gearbox which VW fit is rated (to a nominal) 184lbft/250NM goes bang?..........:confused:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
*keeping fingers crossed*
The Golf GTE (Hybrid) has the 150HP variant on board... I would gladly provide my GTE for testing, but then I would have to ship it to the United States... too bad... so I'll be watching this space closely!

Get an MTM or ABT tune much better & warrantied also...........see my above post...........

Also both offer tunes for the 140 & 150PS versions......but not (yet) for the specific one in the GTE which although is a standard 150PS engine the ECU mapping is different because of the hybrid package.............

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
DQ200:

We've been tuning vehicles with the DQ200 for many, many years now, with torque output higher than what we're making with the 1.4 TSI. We haven't seen issues.

Other companies are tuning via piggyback units. With that comes tons of unintentional limitations, like capped torque levels. If they could go higher, they would, but since they are using a piggyback, they simply can't.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
DQ200:

We've been tuning vehicles with the DQ200 for many, many years now, with torque output higher than what we're making with the 1.4 TSI. We haven't seen issues.

Other companies are tuning via piggyback units. With that comes tons of unintentional limitations, like capped torque levels. If they could go higher, they would, but since they are using a piggyback, they simply can't.

How is the DQ200 gearbox relevant in my question??..................:confused:

I was talking about the MQ200 & MQ250 gearboxes which are fitted to the 1.2lt & 1.4lt TSI engines in the Golf MK7 to which your new tunes are for, in this thread & the other thread.............

The other tuners from what I understand were only offering piggyback as the security on the OBD port was too good (as you know), but these tunes have been around for a year in Europe, & they will do proper flash of ECU soon.....

Also when I was speaking to them they did state the only reason for the torque limit was the gearbox & NOT the piggyback as I did ask if a full flash would make any difference to output levels.......

So again I ask the question ...other tuners limit the torque to protect the MQ200 & MQ250 gearboxes & still offer a 2yr or 100,000km warranty of the drivetrain/engine (in stated countries & car age etc)................

You tune to beyond the VW designated limits & DO NOT offer any warranty in case the gearbox goes bang..............

What happens in worst case scenario then?......customer with blown gearbox & dealer telling custom to get stuffed as the gearbox has had more torque put through it (which would be detectable if tune removed before car taken to dealers)...........

Would you pay up for a new gearbox??..............

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
How is the DQ200 gearbox relevant in my question??..................:confused:

I was talking about the MQ200 & MQ250 gearboxes which are fitted to the 1.2lt & 1.4lt TSI engines in the Golf MK7 to which your new tunes are for, in this thread & the other thread.............

We've tested and tuned on vehicles with the manual transmissions as well, and have not found any issues, even at higher torque levels than we offer. That will, of course, depend on your driving style. If you abuse the transmission, it may fail. The same is true if the vehicle was unmodified. If torque were to be an issue, we can lower it, but we haven’t seen a need to do so.

The other tuners from what I understand were only offering piggyback as the security on the OBD port was too good (as you know), but these tunes have been around for a year in Europe, & they will do proper flash of ECU soon.....

Also when I was speaking to them they did state the only reason for the torque limit was the gearbox & NOT the piggyback as I did ask if a full flash would make any difference to output levels.......

So again I ask the question ...other tuners limit the torque to protect the MQ200 & MQ250 gearboxes & still offer a 2yr or 100,000km warranty of the drivetrain/engine (in stated countries & car age etc)................

You tune to beyond the VW designated limits & DO NOT offer any warranty in case the gearbox goes bang..............

Piggybacks have their limitations, and typically torque is one of them. They mainly operate by tricking map sensors into thinking boost values are lower than they truly are so the ECU slowly ramps in the wategate to meet the targeted boost level. Because of this, midrange torque will be lower, and overall, you’ll have a lazy boost curve in all driving scenarios.

Also, with some, the boost curve just shifts up a few PSI evenly across the entire RPM range. At high RPM, the turbo cannot make as much boost as it can in the low RPM. If they shift the level up too high to get more low end torque, it will result in an under boost code in the upper RPM range.

With ECU tuning, you can properly remap the ECU to ask for more boost pressure, among many other things, at every RPM break point. It’s the proper way to recalibrate the ECU, and even by your own statement, it looks like you believe the other tuners will eventually get around to doing this, once they’ve figured out how to tune the ECU. It's also safe compared to the alternative. The ECU still knows exactly what all the sensors are reading in reality. It can properly adjust for weather, knock, and more. All of the models work correctly, and everything is happy.

What happens in worst case scenario then?......customer with blown gearbox & dealer telling custom to get stuffed as the gearbox has had more torque put through it (which would be detectable if tune removed before car taken to dealers)...........

Would you pay up for a new gearbox??..............

Gearboxes aren't exploding. For one to explode, it would take far more torque than we're making with a 1.2 or 1.4 cylinder engine unless there is a mechanical issue from the factory or extreme abuse from the driver. The thing that may eventually fail is the clutch. The clutch can fail on a stock car. It's also NOT warranted by VW, and it's NOT warranted by MTM. A clutch is a wear item, and you can clearly read in MTM's warranty terms that it's not covered. Here are several statements from their warranty:

The warranty shall not cover the reimbursement of costs for [...] wearing parts [...].

^^^ A clutch is a wear part

Section 2: Warranty extent, term and scope 1. The warranty shall cover (the list is definitive) the following assemblies and parts: […] d) Mechanical transmission: sprockets, gear-selector forks, sliding sleeves, drive shaft, main shaft;

^^^ Clutch not listed.

Section 3: Warranty exclusions […] j) for which the warranty recipient or driver is at fault,

^^^ Does not cover things that are the drivers fault, like a clutch. Feel free to check your owners manual from VW. It also lists the clutch as a wear and tear item, which is not covered.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Just found the info I was after..........

These are the VAG torque limits for the main DSG gearboxes which are used on the Golf......

DQ200 (7 speed dry plate DSG auto), 250Nm (184lbft)
DQ250 (6 speed wet plate DSG auto), 400Nm (295lbft)

& that is with those units in build torque limiters still at factory settings....

So the 1.2ltTSI fitted with the 7speed DSG (DQ200) & your tune to 185lbft will cope .......however the same car fitted with the MQ200 manual will have an extra 38lbft to cope with....

As for the DQ200 being reliable, even in stock form loads of failures in Skoda Fabia VRS, Golf MK6, etc......just google it

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl...+speed+dsg+VAG

However all new ones SHOULD be OK & "fixed",

Like I asked, warranty for powertrain??.............

& VW UK has replaced faulty clutches if gone when they should not have .....rare but has occurred...........
& yes I have read MTM's warranty & yes the clutch is not listed...................BUT everything else that could go wrong IS including parts for the DSG & manual gearboxes, driveshaft's, sprockets, selector forks.........

MTM Warranty covers:-
1. The warranty shall cover (the list is definitive) the following assemblies and parts:
a) Engine: pistons, cylinder bore liners, bolts, rings, connecting rods, crankshaft, crankshaft sprocket, countershaft gear wheel, oil pump, drive wheel, cylinder head gasket, cylinder block, camshaft, tappets, valve rocker arm, camshaft sprocket, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, cylinder head, valves, valve guides, carburetor, crankcase, oil cooler, oil sump, oil pressure switch, air volume meter, air flow meter, knock sensor, sensors, bearings, idling actuator;
b) Turbo: turbo, compressor, intercooler;
c) 4 x 4: transfer case, viscous clutch, differential lock;
d) Mechanical transmission: sprockets, gear-selector forks, sliding sleeves, drive shaft, main shaft;
e) Automatic transmission: shafts, planetary gear sets, disks, belts, valves, oil pump, governor, safety valves;
f) Axle drive: differential, sprockets, wheel bearings;
g) Power take-off shafts: propshafts, propshaft bearings, final drive shafts, electronic control units;
h) Brakes: brake booster, main brake cylinder, vacuum pump, brake-power regulator, brake-force limiter, ABS control unit;
i) Suspension: lower and upper rocker arms, suspension arm rings, axles and suspensions, king pins and rings, wishbones, track rods;
j) Electrical system: alternator, starter motor, windscreen wiper motor, sunroof motor, central door locking motor, ignition coil, engine control unit.

Barack Obama

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't like APR, don't get APR. It's that simple.

First of all, why the hell are you looking to tune your car if you're worried about it going bang bang? When I tune a car, I know the risk I'm taking.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure none of the US tuners offer warranty, for obvious reasons. You take the risk upon your self when you modify a car.

Lastly, If it's such a big deal to you, just stick to mtm or whatever piggyback you like.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Don't like APR, don't get APR. It's that simple.

First of all, why the hell are you looking to tune your car if you're worried about it going bang bang? When I tune a car, I know the risk I'm taking.

Secondly, I'm pretty sure none of the US tuners offer warranty, for obvious reasons. You take the risk upon your self when you modify a car.

Lastly, If it's such a big deal to you, just stick to mtm or whatever piggyback you like.

Just asking a couple of simple questions not allowed then??:confused:

APR are in the UK & don't offer any warranty & yet the UK agents for MTM & ABT offer & so does Superchips & other companies.............

Considering the problems VW is having still even with brand new so called tough 6 speed DSG gearboxes on the GTI & the problems with the 7 speed DSG ...:eek:

.....yes I have a manual but the car stock has 250NM which is what the gearbox is rated by VAG for....(closest any of my VAG cars have been) I just find it strange that the big companies who have been going longer than APR tune these engines to limit the torque to protect the gearbox & offer a warranty..........APR tune to greater than they do & offer no warranty..........

You see over here in UK & Europe people like MTM & ABT & others do tune cars & offer warranties..........in fact you can buy ABT & MTM cars..........think of them like AMG & Brabus for Mercs....

So final result APR don't offer warranties & tune the engine to a greater torque than some of the fitted gearboxes are "designated by VAG" to cope with..........

All I was trying to find out WHY............

ME?......after looking into it in detail 1 1/2yrs ago & still looking, I prefer warranties & not to stress the gearbox (never had any problems in 21yrs so far), but for the cost of the ABT or MTM for just a BHP increase..that money buys a lot of Shell Nitro..........

So why the posts?, a have a couple of mates who have small engine MK7 Golfs (one a 1.2 the other a 1.4 125PS)..........I'm on these forums they aren't, so me just doing research.........:cool:

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Why are you overusing periods so much? Holy shit. Three will do in any case.

If over-paying for less performance is your thing just have you and your friends buy the MTM/ABT warrantied tunes. Once again, no US tuner will give you a warranty. You accept the risk when you choose to put your car over the "design specs". I wish your friends the best of luck in overpaying for inferior products.

Sometimes its painfully obvious why car modifying isn't big in EU lol