Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
That's some exciting-ass footage! :thumbup: :thumbup:

zcspec

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MQB S3
Thanks for sharing....your video also shows how unimpressive vettes can be on a track. I stopped short of 2mins and noticed you past 2 vettes. Love it!

Vash

Passed Driver's Ed
your video also shows how unimpressive vettes can be on a track. I stopped short of 2mins and noticed you past 2 vettes. Love it!

The vettes weren't "on it". Neither was trying. Hell, the first vette pulled to the right and was letting everyone pass on a short-straight. None of those cars could have passed the vette, less he wanted them to. I'm not really into vettes, but no one can say they don't perform. Unless you're J.Clarkson and add some wit to it.

15 seconds in tells the hole story. The Z was pulling away through the turns and then proceeded to put buses between them.

This isn't a race for a 1 million dollar check, people slow down when they're tired, have to crap, too hung-over, old, etc.

OP: don't take my comments the wrong way. You showed you have a quick car and can handle it well. I've never tracked my car, so I'm not talking $hit. Looks like a ton of fun.

h0ckeyfreek20

Go Kart Champion
Awesome video man

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
The vettes weren't "on it". Neither was trying. Hell, the first vette pulled to the right and was letting everyone pass on a short-straight. None of those cars could have passed the vette, less he wanted them to. I'm not really into vettes, but no one can say they don't perform. Unless you're J.Clarkson and add some wit to it.

15 seconds in tells the hole story. The Z was pulling away through the turns and then proceeded to put buses between them.

This isn't a race for a 1 million dollar check, people slow down when they're tired, have to crap, too hung-over, old, etc.

OP: don't take my comments the wrong way. You showed you have a quick car and can handle it well. I've never tracked my car, so I'm not talking $hit. Looks like a ton of fun.

Good points. Again, great video, and excellent driving, OP, but I just wanted to follow up on Vash's points about the Corvettes and respond to another poster's notion that Corvettes are "unimpressive" on the track. Corvettes have their unimpressive qualities (seats, interior plastics, looks, etc.) but track performance potential isn't one of them. Even a base Corvette, bone stock, has tons of track potential. Stock, it might not be as quick around the track as, say, a track-built 350Z, or even a CC that's been race prepped, but a C5 or C6 Corvette that's properly set up and in the hands of a competent driver has at least as much performance potential around a road race or autox track as just about anything this side of $150,000. The tire footprint alone gives it tons of potential. Couple that with light weight (great tire-to-weight ratio is a major contributing factor to a car's track potential), great power to weight ratio with any drivetrain option, good suspension geometry, excellent aero, killer brakes, etc. and any modern Corvette has the potential to be a track day overdog. Is it the best car in the world? Is it teh fastest racecar evar? Hell no. But it *is* an excellent platform to race with, better than 99% of the cars on the road today for track days.

Driver inexperience was probably the biggest factor as to why those Corvettes appeared to be so slow in the video (or appear to be slow at other HPDEs where people might have witnessed Vettes performing unimpressively). There's a huuuuge difference between the times that someone with several seasons of seat time can run, even in a worse car, than someone is able to run during their first few events, due to feeling out their car's limits and acclimating to the adrenaline and high speeds, fear, reaction time issues, learning to read the track, looking far enough ahead to link corners and take good lines, etc. and all the other factors that can add or subtract a ton of speed and many seconds per lap. There's a very good chance that some of the people in the video were track day nOObs in some of their first events. therefore I'm guessing some of the wave-bys in the Vettes were due as much to driver inexperience as fatigue or poor vehicle setup. I'd be willing to bet that the Vettes that were being raeped in the video were being driven cautiously by nervous, inexperienced drivers or anal Corvette fanatics who didn't want to drive their cars past 7/10ths. I autocrossed for about 5 years and Corvettes, even bone stock ones, routinely set some of the fastest time of the day at every event they participated in...when driven by an experienced driver. They are actually scary-fast, and a handful at the limit, so it may take a brave and experienced driver to get anywhere close to their full potential.

Cliff notes: Corvettes are capable of being very fast, but they aren't necessarily easy to drive fast or benign at track speeds, therefore a Corvette that appears to be exceptionally slow at the track is either being driven overly cautiously by a scared or inexperienced driver, isn't set up as well as its competition, or is sandbagging because the driver is fatigued or an anal douche who doesn't want to abuse his car.

Again, as Vash said, this isn't meant to take away from the badass video and skilled driving of the OP in the CC, nor is it meant to say that the CC isn't somehow legitimately faster than those particular Corvettes. It's just a follow up to Vash's post defending the legitimately awesome track potential of a car that tends to be unfairly shat upon by europhiles.

Sorry for the longer-than-intended rant. Back on topic: OP, what has been done to the CCs suspension, and what tire setup is it running? I take it you've got wide R-comps on there? What speeds were you getting up to? It looked like you were MOVING out there, and the intense wind noise on the long straights would seem to confirm that. Other than that, it was really cool how quiet that car sounded. Must be pretty refined and well insulated for a race car! Good stuff.

Last edited:

TRC

Ready to race!
Thanks for the comments!

Btw, that's the third run of the day in Group Blue ( Intermidiate ), for some reason other class group joined our group from High Intermidiate to some what pro drivers.

The vetts originally from blue while the Lotus and track prep 350z are from the black group ( high Intermidiate ) , there are several cars that's not in the vid that joined our group Ferrari, Ariel Atom (not sure about the spelling), modded M3, Nissan GTR we call it the cheat car, etc. which is silly fast!

Since its our 3rd run we pretty much know who's in our group and who's faster and we automatically give a point-by.

When I saw the 350z I gave him a point-by right away (that's the start of the vid) and I tried to stay behind him for as long as I can. Then we came across the Exige which makes it more exciting! :)

The lotus passed me when I had a mistake and did another mistake that I almost crash. After 2 mistakes I wasn't able to catch-up anymore.

In regards to the vetts, on our first run you won't see them give a point-by and and some of them are aggressive which I find really cool, we're in a track after all.

And that first gen 350Z is the fastest one I saw so far. Usually stage 1 alone is a tad bit faster to a slightly modded 1st gen 350Z (intake and exhaust) but that one is faster than Ko4 on the straights. Really nice set-up!