GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR K04 vs. OEM

FlaDubNut

Rice Eater
Car(s)
2007 GTI 2DR
Can anyone tell me if there is much difference in HP/torque between the APR K04 and the OEM Golf R turbos? I will be getting the hpfp and injectors too.
Trying to make the best choice. Thanks!

Car(s)
Subaru
Same turbo, just has the dv on the turbo. Try and price it out and see if it's worth your time and money to piece a kit out over buying aprs.

FlaDubNut

Rice Eater
Car(s)
2007 GTI 2DR
Been talking to Frankenturbo and D.Motorsport but there's no one around me I trust or know to do the work. Just the APR dealer that ONLY does APR or my VW dealer for an OEM swap.

Duster117

Ready to race!
Been talking to Frankenturbo and D.Motorsport but there's no one around me I trust or know to do the work. Just the APR dealer that ONLY does APR or my VW dealer for an OEM swap.

that sux. cause from what i hear, f23t and DM is where its at!!
don't think you could do the install yourself?

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Its all marketing bs. If you go with the awe dv relocate especially the noisepipeless version it changes out the turbo muffler too and puts the dv right there anyways. Much less piping and looks so much cleaner in engine bay. I know there are a few good shops down there

Car(s)
Subaru
Post in the classifieds for help installing.

But I would NOT go apr. I hate always bashing them on their tune but it's the truth. Look at almost every k04 apr thread

Driver Motorsport

Ready to race!

If you're talking about Reeves, I don't see why they wouldn't do a simple install like the F23T.

There's tons of options here in Tampa, if you truly want the F23T we can get a shop here to install it.

FlaDubNut

Rice Eater
Car(s)
2007 GTI 2DR
DM: Yes Reeves...but they only want to do APR now. He said they never heard of you guys or Frankenturbo. Strange

R32ooo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
08 R32

Maybe check these guys out. They seem to be local to you. Not sure if they do install's or are just a parts dealer but worth a shot.

http://www.urotuning.com/aboutus.asp

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
DM: Yes Reeves...but they only want to do APR now. He said they never heard of you guys or Frankenturbo. Strange

Anyone who says they know the vw audi tuning scene and says they have never heard of frankenturbo is probably someone i would not take my car to. Have dm find you a place.

aw614

Ready to race!

Weird, did you mention it was bronson at dm? B/c I know Will at reeves has worked with bronson when he was at apr. But Im not sure what their policy is regards to installs not bought through them though.

Maybe check these guys out. They seem to be local to you. Not sure if they do install's or are just a parts dealer but worth a shot.

http://www.urotuning.com/aboutus.asp

They just sells parts.

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Any decent shop can do the turbo install.

kal-el

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2008 MkV GTI
To answer the original question, go with OEM K04 over APR. I pieced together my own kit, it was simple, and I definitely saved money. OEM K04, turbo install kit, S3 turbo discharge pipe (or Neuspeed's), DV relocate kit. I'll be switching to DM come spring time for tuning.

Bunnspeed

Salad Tosser
Car(s)
2008 GTI four door
APR makes shitty K04 tunes but they have excellent hardware, though pricey. To play the devils advocate here, their turbo is overpriced but it might save you money in the long run as I suspect their quality control is better than some of the sketchy discount vendors. There's a lot to be said for getting a turbo that has a perfectly adjusted wastegate actuator and not having additional potential for leaks with a relocated dv setup. The money you save buying a cheaper turbo can be chewed up by having to buy a dv relocation kit and paying a shop to fiddle with your WGA when you run into krazy overboost situations like I did with my cheapo S3 K04. If you pay a little (ok, a lot) extra, it might be worth it for the reduced complexity of the setup and fewer teething issues post-install. Plus, the APR turbo doesn't have the turbo muffler so you might get better spool, sound, and a few extra ponies out of the deal.