GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

GTIChris

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I would said this is very close comparison of people who want Apple or PC. APR you may pay a little extra for convenience but it is a tidy package. This kit is for people who want an "OEM" type experience. I wanted a clear route to purchase and install. Not a hodgepodge of parts and tunes from different vendors. Other venders you can definitely make faster for cheaper but at a loss of convenience. I didn't want to get an access port with sending files back and forth to the tuner. I wanted the use of the stock DP.

The DTR with the stock DP is definitely faster than the IS38 Stage 1 file I had on my old Golf R and less jerky, which is sometimes fun but not in traffic. The IS38 with a non stock DP "Stage 2" is definitely a closer comparison in terms of power feel and delivery, just the DTR pulls more on top. This could be because the GTI is lighter than the R in comparison.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Except in this case Apr isn't the expensive option. The cheap bastard in me is interested. Turbo, tune and intake-y bits and bobs for 1.5k US/ 1.95k CDN is a great price.

The DTR package is cheaper for me than an IS38 and tune for my GTI. If it's also faster, it's a no-brainer to pick this as my GTIs next turbo.

I think that's who this kit is probably best aimed at- IS20 or even IS12s.

I don't know that it's better for IS38 factory equipped cars. We're just not seeing examples of that yet.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Except in this case Apr isn't the expensive option. The cheap bastard in me is interested. Turbo, tune and intake-y bits and bobs for 1.5k US/ 1.95k CDN is a great price.

The DTR package is cheaper for me than an IS38 and tune for my GTI. If it's also faster, it's a no-brainer to pick this as my GTIs next turbo.

I don't know that it's better for IS38 factory equipped cars. We're just not seeing examples of that yet.
This precisely. Even if it is faster than an IS38 with a stock DP, it's not by a lot and it gives up a lot of low end grunt. This package is a great value more than anything else, but the value proposition drops big time if you already have an IS38.

GTIChris

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Except in this case Apr isn't the expensive option. The cheap bastard in me is interested.

The DTR package is cheaper for me than an IS38 and tune for my GTI. If it's faster, it's a no-brainer to pick this as my GTIs next turbo.

I don't know that it's better for IS38 factory equipped cars.
It's not significantly OMG better, no. Definitely a close comparison which anyone could figure out from their dyno charts. I mean a stage one IS38 on APR site is 340hp/360tq at the wheels and this is claimed at 400hp/387tq.. not many people can feel that much of a difference until you get way up there in speed. The only thing better is the smoothness of delivery that the DTR provides when comparing this to a stage 1 IS38.

I am not comparing this to stage 2 IS38 because then you're using a different DP and not passing emissions. If you wanted to throw a DP on this and get a custom tune I am sure its a bit faster than a custom tuned IS38. I thought I saw people were custom tuning these?

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
It's not significantly OMG better, no. Definitely a close comparison which anyone could figure out from their dyno charts. I mean a stage one IS38 on APR site is 340hp/360tq at the wheels and this is claimed at 400hp/387tq.. not many people can feel that much of a difference until you get way up there in speed. The only thing better is the smoothness of delivery that the DTR provides when comparing this to a stage 1 IS38.

I am not comparing this to stage 2 IS38 because then you're using a different DP and not passing emissions. If you wanted to throw a DP on this and get a custom tune I am sure its a bit faster than a custom tuned IS38. I thought I saw people were custom tuning these?
Yes, some people are custom tuning these. I mentioned a few pages ago, straight from EQT's Facebook group, that a custom-tuned DTR is "happy" around 460whp at 30psi up-top (quoting what I mentioned in the post).

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Yes, some people are custom tuning these. I mentioned a few pages ago, straight from EQT's Facebook group, that a custom-tuned DTR is "happy" around 460whp at 30psi up-top (quoting what I mentioned in the post).
I was stuck between custom tuning with the DTR or gr2260s. I’m guessing the DTR is going to be much less responsive but we’d need to see some dyno sheets.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I was stuck between custom tuning with the DTR or gr2260s. I’m guessing the DTR is going to be much less responsive but we’d need to see some dyno sheets.
Whilst browsing the EQT page (so many people post about the GT2260S, DTR6054 and Vortex, so I end up searching that page more frequently), I saw mentionings of the two. This is one of them. GT2260S apparently offers quicker spool, but the DTR6054 offers more top-end potential over the GT2260S.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220616-193757_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220616-193757_Facebook.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 97

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Whilst browsing the EQT page (so many people post about the GT2260S, DTR6054 and Vortex, so I end up searching that page more frequently), I saw mentionings of the two. This is one of them. GT2260S apparently offers quicker spool, but the DTR6054 offers more top-end potential over the GT2260S.
so I think I’ve made the right choice then, thankfully!

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
The dtr is a great choice if your taking advantage of the all in one package “value”

It’s not a good choice for a custom tuned setup running an aftermarket DP… power and costs wise.

Gt2260 is $1350 with a wastegate ($200+ value) while the dtr makes a little more power (later spool though) at $1600 without one…at that point you’re only saving $200 on your overall setup vs a standard vortex while making less power and being less responsive,I guess if that $200 saving was that important then sure.

And the whole “but the dtr is so smooth and linear with power delivery” my perspective on that - with my hybrid and 4” DP the boost on set is silly aggressive and not that smooth linear feel, but when I run my stock DP and leave the same tune on the car for annual emissions testing my setup while slower gets the “smoother linear delivery”. So I really wouldn’t be surprised if a dtr on a DP that actually flows well and is custom tuned probably get the same aggressive on set feel unless the tune requested otherwise.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
The dtr is a great choice if your taking advantage of the all in one package “value”

It’s not a good choice for a custom tuned setup running an aftermarket DP… power and costs wise.

Gt2260 is $1350 with a wastegate ($200+ value) while the dtr makes a little more power (later spool though) at $1600 without one…at that point you’re only saving $200 on your overall setup vs a standard vortex while making less power and being less responsive,I guess if that $200 saving was that important then sure.

And the whole “but the dtr is so smooth and linear with power delivery” my perspective on that - with my hybrid and 4” DP the boost on set is silly aggressive and not that smooth linear feel, but when I run my stock DP and leave the same tune on the car for annual emissions testing my setup while slower gets the “smoother linear delivery”. So I really wouldn’t be surprised if a dtr on a DP that actually flows well and is custom tuned probably get the same aggressive on set feel unless the tune requested otherwise.
Thanks for this, I don’t feel bad for making this purchase now. Last question for me is, should I go with a local tune on a dyno (UM) or with the EQT remote tune? I feel the EQT turnaround times are a little slow lately, which probably isn’t their fault because of the quantity of requests they get.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Thanks for this, I don’t feel bad for making this purchase now. Last question for me is, should I go with a local tune on a dyno (UM) or with the EQT remote tune? I feel the EQT turnaround times are a little slow lately, which probably isn’t their fault because of the quantity of requests they get.
This is actually a question I've had for some time now lol. The shop I go to offers UM and they know my car, but then all this talk of "EQT sauce" has me wondering who to opt for. I've had good customer service experience with EQT thus far, asking questions about which Vortex offering would suite my car's needs and whatnot.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
This is actually a question I've had for some time now lol. The shop I go to offers UM and they know my car, but then all this talk of "EQT sauce" has me wondering who to opt for. I've had good customer service experience with EQT thus far, asking questions about which Vortex offering would suite my car's needs and whatnot.
I guess I’m my case since I’m local to UM, it would be easier. If someone could chime in about their experience and if the tuners capabilities are similar that would be great. I’ve also realized that I am slowly straying from the point of this thread lol.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I've had good customer service experience with EQT thus far, asking questions about which Vortex offering would suite my car's needs and whatnot.

Not saying this about EQT specifically, but it's not surprising when a company that's not yet nailed down your money gives lots of attention.

Three card monte dealers are really nice at first too. It's sales. Customer service is when a new turbo was installed and a week later my engine has a new window installed.... how do they react? That's the indication of customer service. Not how much attention you get before the sale- how much attention you get when everything's going good, but rather how you're treated when things go a little sideways.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
My custom tune was done within two weeks by eqt. I couldn't recommend their process more. Matt provided me with a tonne of info and I learned quite a bit during the process. My car is also faster than a DTR car.