GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
When your throttle mapping is so bad people would rather pay $250 than learn to move their foot more

I seriously don't get how people can like those things, nor do I see the point of them.

When I first got my GTI, one of the first mods I got was the BMS pedal tuner. I had read something along the lines of "it makes it so you can't take off from a stoplight without causing a scene", and it felt entirely true. You just tap the pedal and it's the equivalent of slamming your foot down.

As well, unless I'm misunderstanding how these work and what they do, they don't really do anything. What I mean is, your pedal input can be though of as 0% (not touching it) to 100% (pressed all the way down). Your pedal input can't exceed 100%, and these don't change that. They just make it so you hit full 100% faster. So you may press your pedal down 30%, but the car reads it as 90% for example. You could achieve the same effect by just pressing the pedal down 90% without the tuner.

Or am I completely misunderstanding how these function and what they do?

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
Right!? I'm actually in the opposite boat right now. Having been accustomed to a more linear pedal on the v2.02 Stage 1 file, I'm finding the initial travel on v1.01 IS38 OE DP file a bit aggressive (made the jump this past weekend). Am I complaining? No...it's relearning how to drive the car.

Unfortunately I think I'm in a slice of the market that is getting left behind. I'm finding the delivery of the IS38 exactly what I wanted in the car. APR is pushing the DTR kit hard, but not going to bother bringing the OE DP file up to v2 "spec". Ironic they only updated the DP files as they were gearing up for OE DP support only. 🤣
My guess here but I’m thinking APR, seeking CARB EO for regulatory compliance, would rather push their better performing in house turbo rather than the IS38.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I seriously don't get how people can like those things, nor do I see the point of them.

When I first got my GTI, one of the first mods I got was the BMS pedal tuner. I had read something along the lines of "it makes it so you can't take off from a stoplight without causing a scene", and it felt entirely true. You just tap the pedal and it's the equivalent of slamming your foot down.

As well, unless I'm misunderstanding how these work and what they do, they don't really do anything. What I mean is, your pedal input can be though of as 0% (not touching it) to 100% (pressed all the way down). Your pedal input can't exceed 100%, and these don't change that. They just make it so you hit full 100% faster. So you may press your pedal down 30%, but the car reads it as 90% for example. You could achieve the same effect by just pressing the pedal down 90% without the tuner.

Or am I completely misunderstanding how these function and what they do?
Correct. People can ditch the archaic APR way of tuning and get a custom tune where the tuner can adjust your car's throttle response and problem solved.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I'm all for developing something if people want it. APR isn't going to put the R&D into this thing if there isn't a market for it -- remember, it covers VW, Audi, Porsche, and Lamborghini models. That being said, enthusiasts want a flash-at-home solution so, selfishly, I really hope this throttle tuner thing isn't coming at the expense of R&D for flash-at-home. One of the big reasons people choose other tuners over APR is because they have to schedule and pay for a trip to the dealer to make any tune changes -- even if you want to tweak the launch control RPM on your TCU tune you have to go through it.

All of that being said, I would hope that if enough people are unhappy about the throttle mapping on the DTR tune, that APR will just update the tune. In the meantime, folks, just move your foot a little more LMAO.

Last edited:

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'm all for developing something if people want it. APR isn't going to put the R&D into this thing if there isn't a market for it -- remember, it covers VW, Audi, Porsche, and Lamborghini models. That being said, enthusiasts want a flash-at-home solution so, selfishly, I really hope this throttle tuner thing isn't coming at the expense of R&D for flash-at-home. One of the big reasons people choose other tuners over APR is because they have to schedule and pay for a trip to the dealer to make any tune changes -- even if you want to tweak the launch control RPM on your TCU tune you have to go through it.

All of that being said, I would hope that if enough people are unhappy about the throttle mapping on the DTR tune, that APR will just update the tune. In the meantime, folks, just move your foot a little more LMAO.
Someone actually made the same comment on Facebook regarding R&D time and flash at home. Arin responded with something along the lines of "we're working on it!"

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
When your throttle mapping is so bad people would rather pay $250 than learn to move their foot more
Our throttle mapping is linear. The thing is, people either love it, or want to change it. It's completely subjective. If we go too aggressive, some would hate it. This lets you tune it however you see fit. Also, unlike a custom tune which will just map the throttle to however the tuner like it when he did it, this lets you constantly tweak it so you get what you want. Then, if you want to switch for whatever reason, like going on a long trip and wanting to focus more on an eco mode, you can do that by touching a button.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I accomplish the same by pressing down with my foot various amounts 😂

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
i will say when i had my last mk7 gti stock, the pedal feel absolutely sucked and i felt like it had no power less it was to the floor. simply changing the throttle response in vcds made it feel a lot more linear (instead of a late exponential) curve and thats why vcds is the best 80 bucks i ever spent

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
i will say when i had my last mk7 gti stock, the pedal feel absolutely sucked and i felt like it had no power less it was to the floor. simply changing the throttle response in vcds made it feel a lot more linear (instead of a late exponential) curve and thats why vcds is the best 80 bucks i ever spent
If you can do this in VCDS, what's the point of this product then? Just a different interface?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
If you can do this in VCDS, what's the point of this product then? Just a different interface?
The ECU tune from us makes it linear too. Linear is better than how the factory curve typically is. But this still lets you tweak it more aggressively (or even less if you choose). What we've found from doing this forever is that no one is ever happy. It's either too soft or too aggressive. So, this let you set it how you want.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Just spit-balling, but I can imagine maybe someone who does a lot of drag racing wants the last 20% of throttle to be mapped differently so they have better control for feathering it for traction. Shrug. That's just my first thought. I'm sure there are multiple use cases if APR bothered to make this LOL, but would be interesting to hear from those people.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The ECU tune from us makes it linear too. Linear is better than how the factory curve typically is. But this still lets you tweak it more aggressively (or even less if you choose). What we've found from doing this forever is that no one is ever happy. It's either too soft or too aggressive. So, this let you set it how you want.
Yep, no matter how well you do something, people will still complain. All for giving them an option to tailor the curve to their liking, so they shut up and stop complaining in every f ing thread.

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Just spit-balling, but I can imagine maybe someone who does a lot of drag racing wants the last 20% of throttle to be mapped differently so they have better control for feathering it for traction. Shrug. That's just my first thought. I'm sure there are multiple use cases if APR bothered to make this LOL, but would be interesting to hear from those people.
Fun Camaro fact from owning one: sport mode has more aggressive throttle tip in than race mode for basically that reason. They got lots of feedback from people actually taking them on road courses that the throttle had to be linear for better control when racing.