GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Chip

GTI2007

baubaulu said:
Is it easy to change the ECU? Do you have any insturction book or any picture?
Thank you!

No, it ain't easy to change the ECU. The ECU is a PROM (Programmable Read Only Memory) chip soldered to a maiboard which sits into a sealed box in the engine compartment. If you would change the original PROM chip you would have to desolder the original ECU and change if for an other PROM chip that you also need to resolder back into the original holes of the original PROM chip. It is way easier to let reflash the ECU by using the OBD II port.

GTI 2.0T

Rally Car Champion
Car(s)
mkv GTI

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
ciacc said:
you guys are yet to talk about the extra wear this mod has to engine, i spoke to a VW technician of 9 years and he said that its a great mod, but drastically reduces the life span of the turbo and the engine, he suggested a great exhaust system and cold air induction as the best mods. gains of 35 hp can be achieved
That's funny... when I worked at Audi the factory tech rep told us in service that double the 150hp from the factory, so long as regular service intervals were maintained they really saw no problems. He also stated that upgrades on VAG cars in Germany were very common.

He stated the the main point was keeping the old changed and using a great sythetic like Amsoil or the others to prevent oil coking in the turbo and it's associated feed lines!

That tech you spoke to is extremely stuck (can't view outside the box). We have guys on the B6 1.8t's making over 400HP on stock internals and they hold up too.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Wild Hare said:
That's funny... when I worked at Audi the factory tech rep told us in service that double the 150hp from the factory, so long as regular service intervals were maintained they really saw no problems. He also stated that upgrades on VAG cars in Germany were very common.

He stated the the main point was keeping the old changed and using a great sythetic like Amsoil or the others to prevent oil coking in the turbo and it's associated feed lines!

That tech you spoke to is extremely stuck (can't view outside the box). We have guys on the B6 1.8t's making over 400HP on stock internals and they hold up too.

The Euro GTI even has a factory authorized or at least warrantied chip upgrade to boost power.
I believe this was a thread on a GTI Euro website.

T

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
ok i have just a couple of areas im confused that have already been talked about but was wondering if they could be cleared up (sorry).... as far as warranty if they find the chip but you keep the service up they dont mind?? And i'm a lil worried about wheel spin, its hard for me to see a front wheel drive car with posted average gains equalling around 283HP and 285ft lb not having massive wheel spin issues, is anyone experiencing this with the apr chip intalled?

maperry123

Ready to race!
whell spin is in gears 1 and 2 but i also am on stock tires, after i get my new rims and sticker tires it should be minimal.

R-Mac06

HO-Town Down!
Car(s)
06 UG GTI
how bad is the wheel spin now? minor or is it to the point where it affects the feel of the drive when you really get on it?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
APR makes a great chip, don't get me wrong. GIAC has the most aggressive profile I've seen so far.
Upsolute is the lamest!