GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Chip Lockout feature

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
I am considering buying this chip for my car since i have hear so many things about it. One of the things that i dont understand however is the lockout mode so the dealership can not find the chip. How do you input a pin code on the car, and where does it show you where to put the code in? Maybe anyone that has one could help me to understand this? thanxs
:drinking: =>:barf:

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
The APR programming works through the cruise control stalk. By holding certain buttons for specific periods of time and by watching for flashing mil/cel lights you can change programs.

The software is flashed to the ECU via the OBD2 port under the dash. The dealer won't know and shouldn't care, if you put the stock code in before services.

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
yeah but on the website is says something about a pin code that wont let anyone that dont know the code how to activate the software?

Security Lockout
Prevents unauthorized personnel from accessing EMCS functions. The user may select any 1 to 4 digit security code. The security code is entered using the cruise control buttons. -taken off of goapr.com

feuerdog

Touring Car Newbie
Yes, by entering a certain number of mil/cel flash sequences, you can LOCK the ecu. Without knowing how to unlock it, nobody will be able to start or run your car. Its a security program.

It was a 1 thru 4, 4 digit sequence on my APR flashed mk4 GTI.

the_saint

Touring Car Champion
Actually, I think what Icranon is asking about is APR's ability to encrypt the coding so you can take your APR chipped car to the dealer, have the dealer scan the car and not be able to tell that the car is chipped.
Thereby saving your ass by not voiding the new car warranty.

cmcm

Drag Racing Champion
that lockout feature is very useful, it only cost me $59 extra, it is different than the anti-theft by the APR.

Icranon

Sold my GTI 4 Mustang
Car(s)
08 Mustang gt/cs
Does the lockout feature and antitheif feature be considered by the chip to be another program. so what i mean is does it come with stock as 1 program,93 octane as 2nd program, and lockout as 3rd program and antitheif as 4th program?
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
So do you have to go some where to have your car chipped with this APR thing? Or do you buy it as a OBD unit, plug it in and program away.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The ECU is like an installed computer program, I recommend to get it professionally installed, and usually a place to get it Dyno'd.

cmcm

Drag Racing Champion
APR has 4 programs total. I have the 1st two "stock and chipped" flipswitch with the access code (different than lockout features, sorry, I mislead everyone). Lockout feature will slow yr car down even slower than stock, for valet and teaching yr new gf to drive a stick. the 4th one, I think, is the anti-theft prog. which noone can program or erase your ecu unless you unlock it.
There's another 1 the apr dealer mentioned about was the 100 octane boost for track use, pretty cool this one.
Yes, I went to the only dealer in IL, goto APR web site you find the dealers near you. Or, as they mentioned, you can send the ecu to APR, same price.
good thing about APR is the warranty and the lifetime upgrade, I still can get my money back now if i don't like it.........well, thinking getting 3rd and 4th programs now!!!!!!

Newcastle

Drag Racing Champion
Just to clarify.

The Anti-Theft program will let your car start, but it will not respond to throttle input.

The lockout feature makes it so your program cannot be changed to a different mode without entering your PIN.

The Valet mode decreases power for letting people who you don't trust with your pride and joy drive it, or when teaching someone as mentioned above.

The encryption is so that once you put your car in stock, it is invisible to the dealer's VAG-COM and they won't be able to overwrite it, nor can you copy it for your friend.
Even though the dealer won't be able to overwrite it, if you leave it in "chipped" mode when you have service done, the settings will show as different on the VAG-COM if I am not mistaken, voiding your warranty, so please be smart and don't forget to change your car to stock mode before going to the dealer.

Hope this helps.

Newcastle.