GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR 91 Octane tune

JimmyT

Redneck Engineer
Car(s)
2011 135i
OK, I finally did something to the car. My wife is online for a new SMART Brabus, we just need to figure out if it will be a black or silver cabrio. I got the greenlinght to chip the R32. I went friday to Achtuning, in Redmond Wa, and got the APR programs put on the car. I got the 100 buck off special, so I put 91oct, 100 oct, stock, and valet programs on the car. It took about two hours to load on my car due to a technical dificulty with Achtuning recieveing the download from APR in Alabama. Bottom line... it was worth the wait! It took about 100 or so miles for the computer to get used to the car, and then the magic happened. With the 91 oct tune, the car feels more alive between 2500-5500 rpm, the car really moves out with minimal throttle imput. The perception of any slop in the drive-by wire is cleaned up, and the car immeditely responds to throttle movement. In S mode, the car leaps forward and wants to run hard... but you can tell that around 6200-6500 the power seems to fall off, but then the car shifts and the rush starts all over again. I wanted to go to Pacific Raceway this weekend to confirm what the butt dyno was telling me, but will wait until 11 April to go out to bremerton and figure the actual improvement. I am betting that it shaved at least a tenth off of the 1/4 mile time...if not more.

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
glad you enjoy it! I have been loving my GIAC tune since the day I got it! If you ever drive a stock .:R in the future you will ask where the power is lol.

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
also you might notice your gas mileage go down, but it is most likely because the car is really addicting to push a little more after a tune.

PyroBob

I'm in.
Car(s)
.:R 32
This rain is pissing me off Jim...we are supposed to be at the track right meow!

When does Pacific start the Wed. night T&T's?

I've got one gallon of Toluene left and it's ready to perform!

JimmyT

Redneck Engineer
Car(s)
2011 135i
driving normal on highway, I havn't noticed a drop in MPG... but I just started driving it. I havn't been running in stock tune to see if any changes are made with that one. Driving around town, I think I'm loosing about 1-2 MPG just because I can't keep my foot out of it!

notkool59

Go Kart Champion
driving normal on highway, I havn't noticed a drop in MPG... but I just started driving it. I havn't been running in stock tune to see if any changes are made with that one. Driving around town, I think I'm loosing about 1-2 MPG just because I can't keep my foot out of it!

exactly what I'm talking about lol

Can't wait to hear what the 100 octane is like

PyroBob

I'm in.
Car(s)
The 100 octane will be like "Hi, I'm the 100 octane N/A tune, so I really don't make much difference until you install some supporting parts or increase your compression ratio."

skwirl

Ready to race!
The 100 octane will be like "Hi, I'm the 100 octane N/A tune, so I really don't make much difference until you install some supporting parts or increase your compression ratio."

:lol:

fusiongt

Ready to race!
Cool Jimmy - I also got the APR Tune last week and have noticed an improvement like you said. I was wondering, did yours get the anti-theft feature? I was told it wasn't available at the time

JimmyT

Redneck Engineer
Car(s)
2011 135i
don't think i have that feature... I'll read the info I got with it to find out for shure,,,,

DasWaX

Passed Driver's Ed
I just got the APR flash last week also and I saw a BIG difference. I am just wondering IF I should have went with the GIAC ECU flash since GIAC just released their DSG software today. I don't know myself but, could we have the APR ECU flash and also have the GIAC DSG software on the .:R at the same time? Or, do we need GIAC ECU flash and GIAC DSG software together?????

PyroBob

I'm in.
Car(s)
You can mix and match. Obviously, each company will tune them together to work best as a set, but your talking VERY minimal differences...I would speculate the difference to be unnoticeable.

PyroBob

I'm in.
Car(s)
Repeatedly switch the mapping will cause fluctuations too...the ECM adapts using fuel trims to get the fueling as close to the commanded stoich as possible...switching maps will cause these values to recalibrate each time.

It's not a huge difference, but it does make a difference.