GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Use the Signal App?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Just read where Musk suggested it but I have two concerns:

In my (long ago) coding days I needed to compile the code so it couldn't be changed. So how does it work with open source, do you make any changes to the source code you might want and just use the revised version for your personal use?

I looked a the permissions and it seems very invasive. Like a lot of you, I have personal contact information I wouldn't want anyone to have access to, so would I need to remove it first?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Signal doesn't collect any personal information. I don't know about the iPhone but if you have an Android phone you can turn off permissions individually.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Have the App Store signal app on my iPhone, the contacts access is optional. It’s purpose is to find other signal users to communicate with. I have the feature off so it doesn’t go through my contacts.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Have the App Store signal app on my iPhone, the contacts access is optional. It’s purpose is to find other signal users to communicate with. I have the feature off so it doesn’t go through my contacts.
what are you thoughts since using it... did you use whatsapp prior to the switch?

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.

In my (long ago) coding days I needed to compile the code so it couldn't be changed. So how does it work with open source, do you make any changes to the source code you might want and just use the revised version for your personal use?

I looked a the permissions and it seems very invasive. Like a lot of you, I have personal contact information I wouldn't want anyone to have access to, so would I need to remove it first?
Honestly, most privacy is gone on the clear web/apps. There are ways to increase privacy but it's quite hard to.

Only way for complete freedom and privacy is to move to the dark web.

But to answer your question, you could simply deny permissions to your phone all together and fill in required info to increase your anonymity.

(Hope this helps)

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
So we are instructed to use it at work. Not gonna say which organization, but our security peeps tell us it's secure enough for basic commo even overseas. But do your own research. I'm more comfy with signal than other messaging apps. It's only secure if both people have the app though.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR

I don't have a need for nor do I use encrypted communications apps but Signal app seems like a good choice for an average user. There are always trade-offs in implementation and Signal does provide their services centrally which creates an ability for them to respond to legal requests and provide who you contacted and when but no content. Signal protocol is used in Skype, Whats App, Facebook Messenger and a bunch of other smaller apps. It seems cool but the usefulness of the product is only as good as its overall adoption. Its like having a phone but its of no use unless you have someone to call. Like all apps your biggest security risk is keeping your device secure and trusting whoever you correspond with and of course if you start doing group messaging you run even further risk etc etc.

As I implied in my reference to having a phone with no one to call, it is important for the survival of the app to promote its use. Considering all the ways people have to communicate, an app like this could easily be a novelty and fall out of use quickly. So they use your contact information to alert you if any of your contacts are Signal users in order to encourage you to use Signal instead of something else. Having said that, I do not believe allowing access to your contacts is a requirement of use but makes it a lot easier to know who is using it.

Last edited:

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
But the real question is did anyone buy signal advance before it exploded