GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone tried the Rennline skid plate?

Fuckin' chin plate broke this morning. I so love kneeling on a wet parking lot so that i can take the screws out and pull the worthless chunks of plastic off so that they don't break anything else and i can continue with my commute.

Every fucking winter.

Anyway. Clearly i need something more substantial. I know there is much love for the dieselgeek panzer plate, but i came across this one:

http://www.rennline.com/Aluminum-Skid-Plate/productinfo/U02/

Uses factory mount points, replaces the chin plate, has the vent holes for my DSG.

$250, less a 15% off coupon code currently active.

Elwood

3-7-77
I had the factory plate on mine for a couple years. It's like, once I had it, i didn't need it anymore. They are a huge PITA. It was so heavy I had to use a floor jack to mount it up (heavy gauge steel). And, of course, it had to come off for oil changes. I pulled it off and replaced all the broken plastic bits. Been OK for almost two years now. Maybe I finally figured out how to drive.

wtf do you know you live in california.

You don't have to wonder whether that object in the road ahead of you is a mound of slush or a rock hard hunk of ice. Every three minutes sometimes.

The factory plate does look like it's overengineered though. The rennline skid plate looks like it's 4 bolts more than removing the chin plate for an oil change. I like that it goes all the way to the subframe.

wtf? he was just giving you some feedback, dick.

I was pointing out that he has no frame of reference wrt "learned how to drive".

Out here in the greatest snow on earth, road hazards are camouflaged 3 or 4 months out of the year.

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
Subd for fead back. It's the same price as the dg option no? I just hate the fact that's the price for a simple bit of steal.. I have do e the road sign for now but do want to go down this road at sons point.
What are the cut out circles for? Access for the oil drain point?

Last edited:
Subd fir dead back. It's the same price as the dg option no? I just hate the fact that's the price for a simple bit of steal.. I have do e the road sign for now but do want to go down this road at sons point.
What are the cut out circles for? Access for the oil drain point?

A little cheaper than DG, especially with the holiday coupon.

Circles are for airflow across the transmission, as on the mk5 chin plate.

. :Sent by pneumatic tubes

Also, the dieselgeek pan is a sheet of aluminum with a few bends and cuts, plus mounting brackets.

The rennline plate has perpendicular bends so it's a lot harder to make, but it sure looks like the front end is just slotted into the radiator support and screwed to the splash guards just like the chin plate, with one screw in the middle of the radiator support and three across the subframe.

So i'd sure like to talk to someone who drove with one for a while and has actually struck something with it.

Elwood

3-7-77
wtf do you know you live in california.

What a compete dick. I was born and raised in Montana. Still go up there twice a year to see my mom (in a home, btw). My trip takes me through the worst hell hole I've ever seen: Utah. Salt, salt and more salt. Kudos to you for surviving winter there, but don't bag on me for trying to provide a little input to YOUR problem. Merry fricken' Christmas.

What a compete dick. I was born and raised in Montana. Still go up there twice a year to see my mom (in a home, btw). My trip takes me through the worst hell hole I've ever seen: Utah. Salt, salt and more salt. Kudos to you for surviving winter there, but don't bag on me for trying to provide a little input to YOUR problem. Merry fricken' Christmas.

Look buddy i'm sorry. I've had a real shitty day and i took your "learned to drive" comment the wrong way.

And that's magnesium chloride on the roads. It typically won't rust up your chassy. The real pisser is the sandblasted windshield.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Thanks for the link. It's gotta be better than the stock plastic, but if you're lowered and hitting icebergs nothing will be bulletproof.

Elwood

3-7-77
Look buddy i'm sorry. I've had a real shitty day and i took your "learned to drive" comment the wrong way.

And that's magnesium chloride on the roads. It typically won't rust up your chassy. The real pisser is the sandblasted windshield.

No worries. The "learned to drive" comment was directed at me, not you. Utah is the reason I put the skid plate on in the first place. I ended up replacing two fender liners and a stock plastic skid plate driving through there one year. But like I said, it ended up being too much of a PITA. Maybe if you just put it on after the first snow or something.

Magnesium chloride is still a salt. Its effects on a road surface are less-corroding than calcium chloride so the state likes to use it. It also has to be monitored in your water supply and in the soil for biological toxicity. Since the North American source is the Great Salt Lake, its no surprise that' it's on your roads. You should really move.

Well I ordered one. It'll be here Monday.