GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone own a 2010 Tiguan? Need advice

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Sounds like a winner
I’m still taking a flashlight and looking for used replacement parts with the easy identifiable yellow or green paint pen markings lol

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
I’m still taking a flashlight and looking for used replacement parts with the easy identifiable yellow or green paint pen markings lol
Sure. And check for oil leaks in the usual 2.0t spots including the upper and lower timing covers.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Like others have already said, sounds like a decent car.
I (my wife), has has had two Tiguans that were leased.
The '10 was good. Never had a single issue that I can remember.
However the '17 had pano sunroof issues. But other than that, it was fine too.
We probably would have ended up with another one if we didn't want/need something bigger.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
So I'll be honest...I'll probably offer what she's asking....8.7k...it's for my 16 year old daughter and I've been looking forever. If I went the subaru outback way, the car would be a 2010 with 172k on the clock for $11k. My shop pulled the maintenance records and it's been solely serviced at the dealership with everything done to it.

12 year old VW is bad I know, but she's 16 and basic is all she needs, as long as it has a back up camera.
So maybe it was the 2009 that had the MK5 interior (with indigo/red dash lighting), and and the 2010+ switched to the MK6 style interior (white lighting) albeit the 2010 still had the MK5 steering wheel?

Video of a 2010 S 4motion:

This shows a radio with no display at all (the base one).
And I can't find anything that said it had a camera though, except on the higher models.....did the owner add it or change the radio?

Order guide:
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinspire.com/emichvw/uploads/2018/09/2010VolkswagenTiguan.pdf

So…..carfax report shows two minor accidents prior…. Not a big deal.

timing chain, tensioner, guide replaced
Tires, plugs, intake manifold all replaced. Fuel pump module, stabilizer bar replaced. Oil/filter changes and all 10/20/30/40/50 services conducted.
Doesn't sound bad at all

What color?

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So maybe it was the 2009 that had the MK5 interior (with indigo/red dash lighting), and and the 2010+ switched to the MK6 style interior (white lighting) albeit the 2010 still had the MK5 steering wheel?

Video of a 2010 S 4motion:

This shows a radio with no display at all (the base one).
And I can't find anything that said it had a camera though, except on the higher models.....did the owner add it or change the radio?

Order guide:
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinspire.com/emichvw/uploads/2018/09/2010VolkswagenTiguan.pdf

Doesn't sound bad at all

What color?

VERY timely as I'm supposed to pick up tomorrow!

It's burgundy in color and the owner upgraded the stereo to a newer OEM unit, but I don't know exactly which one...just have a pick of it. No backup camera, so I'll be going through Crutchfield to buy an aftermarket Boss unit that comes with a license plate camera.

Test drive will tell me a lot. Tried contacting the shop that replaced the intake manifold to see if they inspected the valves for carbon build up, but they couldn't give me the info and the woman couldn't remember.....not going to pay for a walnut blasting service unless I really need it.

Any other thoughts/ideas for me to check out on this ride VERY welcomed.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
VERY timely as I'm supposed to pick up tomorrow!

It's burgundy in color and the owner upgraded the stereo to a newer OEM unit, but I don't know exactly which one...just have a pick of it. No backup camera, so I'll be going through Crutchfield to buy an aftermarket Boss unit that comes with a license plate camera.

Test drive will tell me a lot. Tried contacting the shop that replaced the intake manifold to see if they inspected the valves for carbon build up, but they couldn't give me the info and the woman couldn't remember.....not going to pay for a walnut blasting service unless I really need it.

Any other thoughts/ideas for me to check out on this ride VERY welcomed.
Oh skip the aftermarket, the OEM RVC kits out there are well worth the money. Unless the kiddo wants CarPlay or something. I bet that there are adapters for the oem RVC to aftermarket units too.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Oh skip the aftermarket, the OEM RVC kits out there are well worth the money. Unless the kiddo wants CarPlay or something. I bet that there are adapters for the oem RVC to aftermarket units too.

wait.....RVC kits? What are those? I'm a newb in that area....

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
it'll mostly depend on what head unit is in there. if its not the RNS315 might as well go full aftermarket, on second thought.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
sorry for the terminology. rear view camera kits.

I'm an idiot. Thanks. I'll search around for them......Crutchfield cost was $240 all in harnesses.....I'll see what OEM units cost.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
I'm an idiot. Thanks. I'll search around for them......Crutchfield cost was $240 all in harnesses.....I'll see what OEM units cost.
linked the ebay one i got. make sure the head unit has the slot in the back for the camera. not all RNS315 are the same.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
linked the ebay one i got. make sure the head unit has the slot in the back for the camera. not all RNS315 are the same.

Excellent! Thank you very much! I'll take the head unit out when I get it home and look for the camera input

A20C91AC-430C-4C8D-A1D5-254A03A99F76.gif

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Well hold up there....

The RNS-315 is easy to distinguish.....it has the smaller display & then the knob in the middle of the bottom (three knobs across the bottom in total), but it has Navigation. They should all have a camera input btw:

There's the RCD-510, which has a bigger screen but no Navigation. And the early ones didn't have a camera input.

Then there were newer versions of the RCD-510, which could accept a OEM camera input. You can only tell if it has it by pulling it out & looking for the yellow input on the back side:

RNS-510 had the big screen AND Navigation and camera input, but was super slow to run.

Then there's the (Chinese?) RCD-330 which can add Apple CarPlay. I'm not sure about the back up camera situation though and all that.

But anyways....if it has that port, buy a camera w/harness and then hook it up & run the wiring!

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Well hold up there....

The RNS-315 is easy to distinguish.....it has the smaller display & then the knob in the middle of the bottom (three knobs across the bottom in total), but it has Navigation. They should all have a camera input btw:

There's the RCD-510, which has a bigger screen but no Navigation. And the early ones didn't have a camera input.

Then there were newer versions of the RCD-510, which could accept a OEM camera input. You can only tell if it has it by pulling it out & looking for the yellow input on the back side:

RNS-510 had the big screen AND Navigation and camera input, but was super slow to run.

Then there's the (Chinese?) RCD-330 which can add Apple CarPlay. I'm not sure about the back up camera situation though and all that.

But anyways....if it has that port, buy a camera w/harness and then hook it up & run the wiring!

that’s a TON of info!! Thank you!! Here’s what it has, which looks like RNS-315
11D73056-896E-4956-8B5F-7EAD6945B9A2.png