GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone live in Amsterdam?

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
My wife and I are thinking about moving there and living there for a couple of years. I was wondering if someone from there can kind of paint a general picture of how life is there compared to the US. I've been to your airport for a 6 hour lay over. That's about it.

How are the work hours/work environment? How are the benefits? Does the government favor the employee or the employer? Does the majority of the population speak english? How's the housing situation? How do people move about? Is it really touristy? Can I get a big mac without mayo? Do they still have mercedes and bmws for taxis? :p

Thanks for any input!

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
u just wanna smoke weed!

just kidding but i envy u...i would love to move out of the US

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
no real career...plus i have no idea how would get by living out of the county

but who knows maybe down the road ill do it

gunnipanik

Oval Champion
Lived there for a year so I don't know much about being a part of work society, as I was learning, but I'll chime in.

How are the work hours/work environment?

Pretty typical 8 hour work day though labor people usually work 10 hrs overtime.

How are the benefits?

What benefits?

Does the government favor the employee or the employer?

From my experience working alongside school, I had tax benefits from being a student working 40% work, and I liked my tax returns.

Does the majority of the population speak english?

Yes

How's the housing situation?

Renting is pretty common, but as in all big cities, downtown is more expensive than suburbs, you should be able to hook up a 60-80 square meter (sorry don't use american mesurments) appartment for approx 100euro per square meter.

How do people move about?

I bought a scooter when I got there, and I didn't regret it one bit. Rush hour down town isn't nearly as bad as in the us from my experience, so owning a car and going to/from work doesn't take too much time.

Is it really touristy?

Yep, well depends where you go .. down down town amster is a very nice and touristy place. If you have kids, or a wallet, I wouldn't walk around hang around there after 23-24 at night, a loooot of shady people about. In my 1 year there they tried to rob me twice (each time I was walking home after a pub run at about 4 in the morning = not smart)

Can I get a big mac without mayo?

hehe, yeah!

Do they still have mercedes and bmws for taxis? :p

Ofcourse, well 80%mercs, it's like that all over europe (except sweden where they use s80's very much)

It's not much I hope it helps a little. Only lived there for a year, and I absolutetly loved the place. The whole legalized drug thing / problem is only situated in certain parts, and you'll find that the dutch are helpful and fun people.

Cheers!

gunnipanik

Oval Champion
np, if you have anymore questions, shoot away ..

What and why are you guys thinking about going to amster anyway?

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
We've always wanted to go to europe before we had kids. My wife's company has a branch there so if she can get a position there then this would be a great opportunity to go.

Fonderson

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
08 Lexus ISF
I just moved from The hague, to tampa, so if you need any help just pm me your questions and i'll answer them to the best i can.