GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone Interested In a Valve Cover DIY?

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
just ordered a new valve cover, got the torque pattern and torque specks at whatnot.

should be good on the install, except for 1 VW specific tool that cost 300+ dollars from the dealer. not sure what it does, or why i need it.

anyway, if anyone's interested, i can make a write up with pictures, including all the torque pattern and what not, in as many steps as possible.

RSMark5

Go Kart Champion
What tool is it? Got a pic?

I'd be interested in a DIY, I haven't seen one before and stripping the screws or breaking them while doing a PCV is common.

07Noside

Banned
just ordered a new valve cover, got the torque pattern and torque specks at whatnot.

should be good on the install, except for 1 VW specific tool that cost 300+ dollars from the dealer. not sure what it does, or why i need it.

anyway, if anyone's interested, i can make a write up with pictures, including all the torque pattern and what not, in as many steps as possible.

What tool? Its just 23 torx Screws IIRC pull the front and rear PCV, coil packs and coolant hose, then lift up.

What tool is it? Got a pic?

I'd be interested in a DIY, I haven't seen one before and stripping the screws or breaking them while doing a PCV is common.

Because the Tq spec is only 7.37 ft/lb's

slanky

Ready to race!
23 torx screws. holy shit, we need that aluminum valve cover STAT! I bet the $300 tool is some fancy way to pull the coils.

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
What tool? Its just 23 torx Screws IIRC pull the front and rear PCV, coil packs and coolant hose, then lift up.

Because the Tq spec is only 7.37 ft/lb's

just the coilpacks as in if you were changing the plugs? as in with the zip tie method? Doesnt seem like too hard of a DIY at all really. Maybe a little time consuming due to the torq specs and all the screws but nothing really hard. Then again, Ive never done it on the VW. Only done it on my saabs and jeep.

07Noside

Banned
Took me like 10 mins to pull it off to check out my cam lobes, and yea just pull the coil packs Idk i dont even use zip ties or any method, just grab and pull em out.

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
Took me like 10 mins to pull it off to check out my cam lobes, and yea just pull the coil packs Idk i dont even use zip ties or any method, just grab and pull em out.

you're a bright guy noside. not everyone can do that.

aside from the coil puller, it calls for another tool, i assume (though i haven't seen a picture) it's to remove the gasket.

Well I am DIY'er I like doing my own stuff and I think I can speak for a lot of people on here that I would rather spend a couple of bux than 200+ for a CTR cover.

a couple bucks? i just bought a brand new valve cover to replace my bad one. this isn't a ghettofied valve cover, this is replacement.

07Noside

Banned
you're a bright guy noside. not everyone can do that.

aside from the coil puller, it calls for another tool, i assume (though i haven't seen a picture) it's to remove the gasket.
The Gasket isn't seated on anything, its sits on the cyclinder head flat.
And not sure what you meant but at first I used a piece of string because I didnt want to break anything then I just grabbed and pulled because I'm not a weakling ;)

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
good to hear. what the hell has volkswagen got these people using on this job? i have got to pick up that print out from my friend's shop.

xatnys360

Ready to race!
I didn't take off my rear PCV - just leave it on there and use it as a hinge of sorts...

I'd be interested in seeing a FAQ as well, just for the sake of new folks. There's one up over @ myfastgti, but it's orientated towards folks installing a Eurojet valve cover (and it doesn't include the torque pattern).

Put one together and post it! I'm sure the community will be better for it. :thumbsup:

ShyGuy

Yah, I managed to change the gasket while leaving the rear pcv on there. It was a bitch getting the gasket to seat in place though. I also happened to cut both one time use clamps off that rear rubber pcv hose. It's on there pretty snug though so I think I'll be fine without replacing the clamps.

Carfreak226

Detailer Extraordinaire
Car(s)
2007 GTI MKV
Well since it's been revived, why doesn't someone make a detailed DIY then for the hell of it?