GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone do 3d printing?

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Im working on a mod that requires fabricating a small customized mounting piece.

I don't know much about 3d printing yet in terms of if consumer level gear can make the shape I need and it not be prone to failing (some tight tolerances and slender sections that need to support a bit of weight). I'm guessing very strong composites / metal printing has not filtered down to the sub $1000 market and its mostly brittle junk?

If someone with experience would be willing to look at it, I can make a model file with the shape and measurements and send for an opinion.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I could take a look. I make parts for RC cars that have to be small and strong. I've been 3D printing for 4 years.

Thank you sir. I started fabbing up a prototype last night out of metal, slowly cutting/grinding/drilling it into shape.

It's not a complex shape but as mentioned some spots, especially those that will be subject to clamping force from passed through fasteners don't have a lot of meat.

I also started a file on tinkercad, which I'll send along with a little more info when I finish it.

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
I run my printer regularly, and have made all kinds of random things. Where is this mounting piece going? is it under the hood or in the interior of the car? Material choice would need to be considered based on the intended function and location of the part (and if it needs to withstand higher temps). If you can model it, it can be printed, so I wouldn't worry too much about the shape, but if it needed to be tweaked a bit to make for a better printed object, that can usually be done.

There are also third party services (like 3D Hubs) that will print your part and send it to you if you don't have a printer. The prices were reasonable, but if you are prototyping, it adds up quick (which is why I ended up buying my own printer).

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I'm
I run my printer regularly, and have made all kinds of random things. Where is this mounting piece going? is it under the hood or in the interior of the car? Material choice would need to be considered based on the intended function and location of the part (and if it needs to withstand higher temps). If you can model it, it can be printed, so I wouldn't worry too much about the shape, but if it needed to be tweaked a bit to make for a better printed object, that can usually be done.

There are also third party services (like 3D Hubs) that will print your part and send it to you if you don't have a printer. The prices were reasonable, but if you are prototyping, it adds up quick (which is why I ended up buying my own printer).

Part is for the interior. Needs to hold up to normal interior vibrations and car movement while holding up some weight in an off balanced way at one end. Metal would work perfect of course, but I'd rather print revisions than keep redoing it in metal. Will likely require numerous tries to get it right. It needs to hold the thing it's being used for in a fairly precise position.

I've been considering buying a printer for a while anyway. Recommendations in the sub $1000 range?

Roadhog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19' R
I'm

Part is for the interior. Needs to hold up to normal interior vibrations and car movement while holding up some weight in an off balanced way at one end. Metal would work perfect of course, but I'd rather print revisions than keep redoing it in metal. Will likely require numerous tries to get it right. It needs to hold the thing it's being used for in a fairly precise position.

I've been considering buying a printer for a while anyway. Recommendations in the sub $1000 range?

I have the Prusa i3 MK3S. Probably the best printer you can get for the price. $750 for the kit which I assembled in an evening.

https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-i3-mk3/
I'd also be willing to take a look at what you have.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Post up what you have. I work for a 3d printer company and can advise if it's a feasible part or not (even for high end equipment).

mike-y

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI / 2016 R
I'll second the Prusa - it's a great choice if you don't want to spend a lot of time tinkering with your machine. I ended up with a CR10S-400, because I wanted the large build volume. I get great prints out of it, but I did have to spend some time learning how to make it print great, and added a few mods. If you are willing to spend a little time learning about 3D printing, you can save some money on a cheaper machine, but if you've never done it before, the Prusa can't be beat.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Thanks for all the input. I spent the day doing a crash course on 3d printers.

The logical path was to use shapeways for this first try. 25 bucks to have it done in steel, which should mean I can tweak it somewhat if need be without breaking it.

It's about a 2 week turnaround time.

If that version is way way off and can't be made to work via grinding, filing, drilling, bendi g etc then I'll revisit other options like buying my own.

Last edited: