GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any serious cons to taking out front fender liner?

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
I know people on Air take it out, but Im wondering what negative effects it has like water flow or accelerated rusting. Sorry if it sounds like noob question.

Reason for question is cause my tires are rubbing on the liner on bumps, especially highway dips, and its starting to really rub the tire down.

mobbin6

Banned
Or you can just cut it where it's rubbing. I cut mine but eventually just took it out. Only downside is when it rains some water flows between the bumper and fender split, but nothing bad.

GodSquadMandrake

Radioactive Rotary Rocket
Other than getting your engine all grimey? And getting rocks and sand in the door sills? I'm not sure if flying sand and debris would cut any wires or cause immediate rust.

tomshouse516

tomtomtomotomtomtomtomtom
Car(s)
09 GT1
just more dirt and crap inside of your fenders, engine bay and what not.

you can trim it back for the most part and be fine.

Bake

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
i bought my GTI used from someone in long island, there was a TON of dirt in the engine bay when i bought it, especially in the lower sections. Took me a few months before i figured out that he had removed the fender liner.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
Hmmm...I don't want a dirty engine bay either. Any idea how much a new fender liner would be? approx.

My buddy that works at the dealership quoted me 250, it included the plastic belly piece.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
Crap, I don't know what to do now, whether to cut it or not. Maybe if I cut it I should plastidip the exposed metal parts of the wheel well or something.

Kwiksilver07

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 3dr reflex silver
Get the rhinoliner bed stuff. I think they sell the equivalent in cans now.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
I was also thinking about the bed liner. But lets say I wanted to take it off, it would be rather difficult no?

VMRWheels

Go Kart Champion
Other than getting your engine all grimey? And getting rocks and sand in the door sills? I'm not sure if flying sand and debris would cut any wires or cause immediate rust.

just more dirt and crap inside of your fenders, engine bay and what not.

you can trim it back for the most part and be fine.
+1

I think you'll be fine for the most part. Your engine and door sills may just get a bit more dirty and you may find rocks or pebbles in weird places.

Mr.Alex

I Got That 6.
I think Im going to cut it for now and then if need be just piece it back together with something.

Now what would be a good thing to use to cut it? Someone told me a good box cutter but idk.

We removed the just the top of mine, probably a 1' long section. In that section we glued 1/2" foam insulation to prevent the paint from being sand blasted off.

Isn't there also like a tape-style foam insulation?