GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any PA dubbers runnin catless downpipe

nay-z

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
I was wondering if anyone is running an ATP or equivalent downpipe in PA. I mainly wanted to know if you had any problems getting your car inspected.

JDraft

architectural draftsman
Car(s)
07 BMP 6mt GTI 2dr
Here is a good link to read up on. According to this, only certain counties get hooked up to a sniffer test, and the rest of the counties must pass only a visual inspection.

http://www.classicjunkyard.com/pa_emissions.htm

Either way, running the catless ATP DP will cause you to fail either test, since it has no cat (failed visual), and...well...it has no cat (failed sniffer test).

Now, what I am NOT sure of is whether or not a Wayne angle block will allow you to pass the sniffer test.

EDIT: I STAND CORRECTED. SEE MY POST BELOW.

Last edited:

nay-z

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
Well, I guess that answers that question. That sucks cause the cat requires more of my hard earned cash.

SleepyHeadGTi

Ready to race!
Well, I guess that answers that question. That sucks cause the cat requires more of my hard earned cash.

I am planning on running a APR DP into my OEM catback. As long as you trim the OEM catback in order to fit the coupler/reducer you can sell the APR DP for a decent price after your done with it (they never last long on Vortex classifieds). That way I'll still be legal, but of course I have to bite the $700 bullet.

If you really want to pay less for a smog legal DP... consider an old school eBay trick...

Buy a $50 3 inch Cat...

Weld it into one of these 3 inch $130 Megan down pipes...

With a $10 Wayne-Block (o2 sensor trick block) on the rear o2 sensor bung...

With careful cutting and welding, you should be able to pull it off in 2.5 hours and $190 bucks plus shipping.

Good Luck!

DankCIA

BYOB
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI FSI
having to get your car inspected annually is a pain in the ass, especially if you want to run a hi-flow or no cat.

you would probably be best off going to some local car meets etc and see if you can find a shop that will hook you up for the inspections even with your mods.

nay-z

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 VW GTI
having to get your car inspected annually is a pain in the ass, especially if you want to run a hi-flow or no cat.

you would probably be best off going to some local car meets etc and see if you can find a shop that will hook you up for the inspections even with your mods.

I should be ok with a 200 cell downpipe in PA shouldn't I? They just do visual inspection in my county. I thought I would be ok as long as I had a cat.

JDraft

architectural draftsman
Car(s)
07 BMP 6mt GTI 2dr
CORRECTION TO MY PREVIOUS POST:

PA Inspections are now VISUAL and ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS ONLY. No sniffer test. Check here for your local laws:

http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/drivecleanpa/default.htm

So as long as you have a cat (200 cell should be fine) and can make sure you don't throw codes, you should be fine.

dorn101

Jai Guru Deva Om
CORRECTION TO MY PREVIOUS POST:

PA Inspections are now VISUAL and ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTICS ONLY. No sniffer test. Check here for your local laws:

http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/drivecleanpa/default.htm

So as long as you have a cat (200 cell should be fine) and can make sure you don't throw codes, you should be fine.

Good info, if you find a shop that will pass you with no cat, please let me know. I've heard of some places around here (Narvon) that will give you a sticker without even really looking at the car, who knows.

SleepyHeadGTi

Ready to race!
Good info, if you find a shop that will pass you with no cat, please let me know. I've heard of some places around here (Narvon) that will give you a sticker without even really looking at the car, who knows.

I know of a place in Narvon that used to let things like that slide (but that was decades ago). I used to live in Narvon:thumbsup:

SleepyHeadGTi

Ready to race!
Dude, you could kill a hooker in the middle of the road in Narvon, the mountain's a crazy place

It was a great place to grow up... at least back in those days. I go to my father's place every once in a while and I always see people flying down the street on motorcycles and it just brings back memories. I practically got away with murder plenty of times on that mountain. Do people still hang out at the sand mine?

dorn101

Jai Guru Deva Om
Money rocks? That was a popular smoking spot when I was younger, now it's patrolled and I don't think many people go there for the extra curricular activities.