GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any cyclist on here

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
While we're here, I've been toying with the idea of replacing my TCR with a gravel bike of some sort.
The TCR is getting old. Nothing wrong with it, but I'd really like to upgrade to electronic shifting, and I feel like I might as well at that point just get something totally new.
I've always loved trail riding (did it before I picked up road but have been out of it for almost 10 years now), and would like to get back into it a bit...but not hardcore full suspension trail riding.
I'm wondering if a gravel bike could do it all for me? Enough of a road bike to still hit the pavement, and an enough of an offroader to hit some trails.
I could always pick up a road specific wheel/tire combo and swap out as needed. Thoughts?
Funny, I have a fifteen year old ti road bike with rim brakes. I did the Iron Horse last year from Durango to Silverton and the descent into Silverton really caused me to consider discs. I figure if I'm going to to make a change, I might as well get a gravel bike. Looking at the Revel Rover on sale right now. My plan is actually to do Ekar but with a Classified Powershift hub in Hunt wheels. That gives me 26 gears, so I figure I shouldn't be giving up anything on road and will still have plenty of range off road.

Part of me doesn't really want carbon though, as I'd prefer to have a more enduring frame, so I may go local and get a Chumba ti frame. They also come with sliding drops, so I can adjust the wheelbase when moving from road to gravel tires to shorten or lengthen the wheelbase.

My biggest issue is that I also have a single speed mountain bike, and the gravel bike likely replaces that too, so I'd be getting rid of my two custom bikes for one off the shelf bike, which feels a little weird, but probably makes the most sense and would keep the wife relatively happy.

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
While we're here, I've been toying with the idea of replacing my TCR with a gravel bike of some sort.
The TCR is getting old. Nothing wrong with it, but I'd really like to upgrade to electronic shifting, and I feel like I might as well at that point just get something totally new.
I've always loved trail riding (did it before I picked up road but have been out of it for almost 10 years now), and would like to get back into it a bit...but not hardcore full suspension trail riding.
I'm wondering if a gravel bike could do it all for me? Enough of a road bike to still hit the pavement, and an enough of an offroader to hit some trails.
I could always pick up a road specific wheel/tire combo and swap out as needed. Thoughts?
Thanks for the perspective on Madone vs. Venge, much obliged. I’ve been thinking about a gravel bike as well as I want to ride road but some easy rolling trails might be fun with a rigid fork (I know they’re not the same, but close enough for my comparison). I rode a LeMere rigid fork on a trail that I usually take my big travel bike on and surprisingly, I wasn’t any faster, so I guess for me it’s a matter of whether it’s a more fun way to ride. I don’t want more than 2 bikes so I’ll probably stick to long travel mtn bike and road bike with maybe a fatter tire.

I see that you’re in St. Pete’s area and I have a brother that rides out there somewhere. I’d bet that you can ride most everything there with a gravel bike but I can’t speak from experience. If I were you, I’d rent a gravel bike and ride some trails to see how it goes.

Last edited:

Superfreak

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
‘19 M2C, ‘05 Taco
I did the Iron Horse last year from Durango to Silverton and the descent into Silverton really caused me to consider discs.
Amazing area, glad you get out! Never pedaled in Silverton but I’ve done the end of the CT in Durango and that’s one of the best rides I’ve ever had.