GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shooting a rod

dminno30

This is from my 2010 Mk6 VW GTI with 93k miles, I was running a stage 1 OTS Cobb tune for 2k miles then I bought the Stratified Tune. I was pushing 19 pounds of boost and 220 pounds or torque on the tune for about 2k miles. I have a IE intake and a custom exhaust on the car, catless downpipe and an aftermarket muffler. At the time of the failure I was going at 75% throttle and it just "blew up" I was with a couple other people going on a drive and they said a huge fire ball came from my exhaust and below the engine. I quickly stopped and popped the hood to see a huge flame coming from the back by the turbo. A friend helped me tow it back to my house where it shall sit until I decide what to do with it. After I jacked the car up I found a total of 5 holes in my block. 3 holes above the oil pan and 1 on each side of the engine. After a few quotes from a couple of mechanics including vw themself its around 6k to replace the motor. Ive been looking into buying a salvaged GTI that has been rear ended and the motor is still good in that. I also might just part out the vehicle. If anyone has gone through this process and has any advice please let me know!

Attachments

• B3475EC8-8FD1-4F78-8F3E-9FF65D8361AB.jpg
    B3475EC8-8FD1-4F78-8F3E-9FF65D8361AB.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 178
Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Wow that sucks. Might look for a used engine. Quick search I found what looks to be a reman 2.0TSI in my area for about 2k + install...

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Sorry that happened, that well & truly sucks. FWIW I'd don't think the timing chain tensioner was the cause of rods coming out of the block. I'd suggest a used engine.

Let us know what happened when you do a tear down post-mortem.

zrickety

The Fixer
Damn dude, I've never seen a connecting rod look like that. You definitely had something else going on, maybe a stuck injector.
LKQ will sell you a motor about $2800 with 30 day warranty, might be the way to go.

torga

Autocross Champion
Only 220 lb-ft on a Stage 1 tune? That sounds wrong - that's a stock figure. And to echo everyone else in this thread, that definitely wasn't your tensioner.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Thoughts on possible cause in no particular order:

Overly aggressive tune
Low octane gas (detonation) with tune
No word on RPM's but possibly way above redline? 75% throttle is not cruising power...

No way it was timing chain.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Yea, something else going on, not timing chain related. Over-revved most likely....or even oil starvation. I've seen Chevy 350 v8's and 396 big blocks blow rods thru the engine but those were race-tuned and high-revving.