GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Another Reason to Not Buy Electric

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Anything with a battery can potentially short catch fire. Years ago I had an Ericsson phone battery short in my pocket. I felt a crazy burning sensation on my thigh. I took my phone out and it got so hot that the plastic battery door warped.

iPhones, Samsung phones, even vape pens have all caught fire before.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Which makes me wonder why horses with horse shoes in a parade on a paved road never have a spark coming off the horse shoe igniting all that methane coming out of the horses ass. 💥

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Anything with a battery can potentially short catch fire. Years ago I had an Ericsson phone battery short in my pocket. I felt a crazy burning sensation on my thigh. I took my phone out and it got so hot that the plastic battery door warped.

iPhones, Samsung phones, even vape pens have all caught fire before.

So no horses, then? I think we've found the perfect solution for Fed.

RisingFallens

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI!
CF1BA292-F831-4940-948A-CF9F2BE7024F.jpeg

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
As soon as theres a company that makes a tesla transplant kit for the GTI and someone here successfully owns and drives one, they will sell the kits/car-kits like hot cakes... I'm telling you. Then VW will see this and go "Oh you want an electric GTI? Here you go"

but the idea of having a GTI running on hacked Tesla hardware and software is arguably more attractive than using whatever locked down proprietary stuff VW will use. id love to see someones face in their tesla as i pull up in my gti and plug into a super charger in a public lot... a true "plaid edition" it would be

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I love my Golf TDI 6MT, and we also have a Model 3... if Tesla's rumored Model 2 turns out to be a small hatch I will buy one day 1. Not really day 1, I'll give it about 6 months, but I will have one. I'll never give up my Mk7, or my MK4 for that matter... but frankly the lack of required maintenance and instant torque is fantastic. I live in SoCal so chargers are everywhere and I can charge in my garage which I realize isn't the case everywhere or for everyone. The Model 3 was a birthday gift for my wife, and neither of us had ever even sat in or driven in a Tesla. I was 100% prepared to not like it. As her daily I rarely drove it, and over time I drove it less because it was harder and harder to get back in our other cars.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm not afraid that any of our cars will catch on fire... but I think I'm more afraid of our other cars catching fire as compared to the Tesla.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I wonder how true that really is. "A lot" is not a statistic. To me it just feels (admittedly, subjective) like if an EV catches fire it's on the every car site, so it's effectively "national news" for people into the industry.

If a Corolla (even mine, haha) catches fire I can guarantee no one will know about it. Might not even make the neighborhood news on Ring or Next Door or whatever apps my semi-paranoid neighbors are using.

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
I agree. The issue with electric cars is that there is a lot of incidents where the car itself catches fire due to faulty batteries. This is the main reason why i am very skeptical about electric cars.
I agree. The issue with gasoline cars is that there are a lot of incidents where the car itself catches on fire due to a faulty fuel system. This is the main reason why I am very skeptical of gasoline powered cars.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I wonder how true that really is. "A lot" is not a statistic. To me it just feels (admittedly, subjective) like if an EV catches fire it's on the every car site, so it's effectively "national news" for people into the industry.

If a Corolla (even mine, haha) catches fire I can guarantee no one will know about it. Might not even make the neighborhood news on Ring or Next Door or whatever apps my semi-paranoid neighbors are using.

Yep, network news didn't cover when my MG caught fire. That's just a feature that comes standard with all British cars.