GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alternatives to stock air filter/engine cover.

Caymanjp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 3DR Golf GTI
Hi everyone.

I just wanted to find out what people have in terms of filters/replacements for the stock airbox/engine cover on a mk5 gti.

I have an APR carbonio intake and ideally would like to keep it because I have a few carbon pieces under the hood. But I cannot stand constantly having to remove the engine cover/airbox and I don't really think it looks particularly appealing. Does anyone have any suggestions to incorporate filtration with the APR intake or should I just give it up and look for something else?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
There really isn't an option using the APR Carbonio with some other type of filter. It only works with the OE filter box, isn't this correct? I cannot see how a filter could be contained downstream from the carbon inlet scoop...and attached still to a new intake. Best option is to swap it for another intake tube. You may find someone wanting the APR. EVOMS, Volant, and Autotech (not on the list) also have low trims like the OE airbox...in theory it is because they are plastic. CTS has good results with their aluminum intake and one can only determine they simply put together the right combination of MAF placement and their filter box directs and contains air better from the grille than the others do.

ltft intakes.png

Caymanjp

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2008 3DR Golf GTI
@ROH ECHT Thanks for the response, i spoke to a friend of mine who suggested in-line air filters. I found some on various sites but nothing specific to the mk5 and didn't want to mess with trims. Was curious if anyone had any experience with these?

Thanks for the info, sounds like I'm going with the CTS as that was going to be my first choice anyway. Appreciate your input!

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Caymanjp

I see the inline...but for the hassle of doing an inline filter and still needing an intake tube to utilize it...all just to keep the APR scoop??? I too would opt for just a good intake which comes with a containment box for the incoming air through the grille. A CTS will likely suit you well. You should have no trouble recovering some of the CTS expense when the APR is sold.