Almost 5 years without a single dent.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Streak over. F

PXL_20220517_135505325.jpg

PXL_20220517_135456428.jpg

At least it was a colleague/work friend who did it so I know he's good for it. Hoping it's paint transfer not missing paint so it might PDR out.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Windy day. Worst thing was he pretended to bash the car first... But then actually did when the wind whipped the door open and he wasn't holding onto it.
That's awful. I once left a note on a friend's car saying I hit it and someone saw so I was pretending to leave my contact info.

The next day in came in to class upset over someone hitting his car. Turns out someone had hit it, and he didn't realize it until I left the note. Made for a real awkward conversation.

At least you know who hit yours.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Windy day. Worst thing was he pretended to bash the car first... But then actually did when the wind whipped the door open and he wasn't holding onto it.
"Friends"... who needs 'em?

Sorry that happened. I'm sure an expert dent removal guy can take care of it but, worse case, it's a new panel so there's labor to remove, paint and reinstall. If your friend is good for it, just bring it to a good repair shop and get it taken care of. Gixxerfool is right that edges like that are near impossible to get right. There will probably always be a bump or wrinkle you'll be able to see in the paint. Probably easier and better to just get a new panel.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
That sucks. It's going to be very difficult to get that out with PDR.. mainly because the steel is stretched. With the time it takes it might rival just getting a new fender and getting painted.. but I can see the color match concern..

GL!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Fenders are cheap

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Fenders are cheap
$250 for a new primed fender (maybe more with shipping). Given my metro area, probably $250-300 for paint and blend. And then $1000-1500 to replace the PPF on the hood and bumper they'd need to blend into. (granted, the PPF could use replacement soon anyway). $65 for a new fender badge if you want to do it right. Plus probably 2-3 hours labor at $115 to remove PPF, remove fender, remount and align.

And then there's loss of value from having a repainted panel that will NEVER perfectly match anyway.

If the PDR guy can do a good job, it'll cost maybe $300, paint will match 100% perfectly. If he can't... Well, I lost an hour or so of shuttling a car back and forth and can still get a new fender.

If the car wasn't in such good shape otherwise I'd just get a good condition junkyard fender and polish it up and not care about the slight paint mismatch. But it isn't my money so I'd rather try it the "right" way first without going nuts with it before pursuing more extreme options.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Do not blend paint, especially on a non metallic finish. Find a paint shop that will match the surrounding panels. A good paint shop (not a dealer body shop) will get you sorted. I use a paint thickness gun when buying used cars and blended paint is a much bigger red flag than replaced panels. Sorry you're having to deal with it and you may get close with PDR, but I suspect you'd be best off with a new fender.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP

lol same thing happened to me a few months ago. Except the part where my buddy pretended to bash it. He parked next to me, got back in his car but left his door open. Super windy day. The wind just took his door and threw it into my car. He did pay for it and it looks like nothing ever happened. Car was also 5 years old with zero dents...