GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alignment trouble - steering wheel off center.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
Hi all, Been a while since I posted. Looking for any advice here...

I hit a nasty pot hole about a month ago. Damaged a tire and two rims. I had a dealership fix things up -- straightened the rims, replaced a tire, and aligned the car. Car drove funny after that. Steering wheel preferred to be off center, and the car just acted odd at times - especially when turning and braking. It didn't do any of that even with the pot-hole damage. Things were adjusted during the alignment. I went back and asked the dealer to put a matching tire on the other side of the axle and to check the alignment again. The tire took care of all handling issues. But still, I've been fighting a wheel that prefers the 11:30 position.

The steering wheel is not off center all of the time, but it is more often than not. A tech took it for a drive when it was in the second time, but I was told it seemed fine to them. To me it's glaringly apparent anytime I am over 35-40mph.

I've seen the alignment sheet and everything is showing as good - except caster. It's not listed. I'm told the dealership alignment system doesn't perform that check because it's non adjustable on our cars. (I find that a bit confounding). The adviser showed me a "0.0" reading on the steering angle, which I think was implying the steering wheel was dead ahead. (Is that correct? Or is that just that the drive wheels are dead ahead?)

Anyone have any input or advice here? It's serious irritating to drive a car as sharp as a GTI and have the wheel off center. Doubly irritating when the dealership doesn't notice it and I am looking at a third trip back to try to convince them.

Is there something I can go back and ask the dealership to ensure they checked? Is there any electronic re-centering that needs to be done after an alignment?

Thanks and much appreciated...

Last edited:

yo_marc

Ready to race!
I also want to add the car has a slight drift to the right at speed. Coincides with the steering wheel favoring the left.

Camber? Caster? Thrust angle?

HalvNorsk

I also want to add the car has a slight drift to the right at speed. Coincides with the steering wheel favoring the left.

Camber? Caster? Thrust angle?
Had a similar issue after coilover install when the strut mount not intalled properly....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

H

Huntermike

Caster may not be adjustable but it can be checked. The spec on my ‘17 is 7.1-8.1 degrees. My car is right at 7, even on both sides. No pull. Camber is the other alignment angle that can cause a pull or drift.

Have a different shop check the angles and if you see a cross caster over 1 degree that’s the issue causing a drift. Over 1.5 will be a distinct pull. While they are there, have them check toe out on turns(TOOTS) and turning angle difference. It can be used to diagnose bent parts.

A body shop with a frame rack can fix a gross caster issue by bending your body back into shape. It may be able to be fixed with a subframe adjustment.

After an alignment VW requires the steering angle sensor be reset.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
Thanks guys - Very helpful!

I did look over the car to see if I could spot any visible damage. Good news in that I could not. Strut towers look ok, no witness marks of the mounting bolts moving, strut looks centered under the caps. etc. I tried to see if I could find any evidence that the caster is way out of spec - I checked the gaps around the wheel-wells and everything is pretty darn close.

I did think I spotted a difference between the front cambers. Super rudimentary, but using a 30" framing level against the rims, the drivers side looks more cambered by 1/4" at upper tire bead. (Radiator support in engine bay was showing as level.) The rears measured as pretty equal. Not putting much stock in this, but found it interesting.

The car gives an occasional sensation of driving off the right front and left rear wheels. As if they dictate where the car goes. Sometimes I wonder if it's dog walking or if I'm just being overly sensitive.

I'm in seek of another alignment shop to have them look things over.

Elwood

3-7-77
There is a rudimentary way to adjust the camber. Not individually, but for both sides. The subframe can be loosened and moved. This will add camber on one side and subtract from the other. The goal is to make both sides the same. I'm not sure who I would trust to do it, however.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
Thanks! That is good to know...

Small (positive) update. I did a little lock to lock dance with the steering wheel and now have MUCH better weight/assist in the steering. I didn’t mention it, but that was lacking. Even steering in sport mode had very little difference - until now.

I had read something online regarding a vagcom (or other) steering relearn procedure. I don’t have that software but figured it wouldn’t hurt to try. Center, left lock, center, right lock, center. I did that and reset the TPMS for like the 8th time. Much better.

Unfortunately the wheel is still off center. But with better weighting to the wheel it’s much easier to feel that something is fighting something, so a re-alignment is definitely in order.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
Just got my car back from a semi-indy shop. They have a good alignment guy that works across different shops.

I've only driven around town, but the difference is immediate. On center feel is back, turning left and right nets the same turn-in, etc.

Got a very different report than I am used to. Lots of secondary measurements. (No TOOTS, but don't think I need it at this point).

In summary:

Bad:
- LF and RR had too much toe in.
- Front total toe-in over max.
- LR camber too high.

Good:
- Front caster (a concern) is good at 7.67* L and 7.58* R.
- Cross camber minimal at 0.05* front and rear.

yo_marc

Ready to race!
Regarding Left Front and Right Rear having too much toe-in:

The car gives an occasional sensation of driving off the right front and left rear wheels. As if they dictate where the car goes. Sometimes I wonder if it's dog walking or if I'm just being overly sensitive.

^ Now I don't feel so crazy.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
my worst nightmare is having to go to a shop for an alignment. In many many years, I have yet to get it out with a perfect steering wheel position. Well, maybe 3 out of 20 appts. I always have to fine tune it myself by marking tie rods and turning equally side to side, which of course ruins the alignment a hair.. Only way i can get it right is if I get personal use of an alignment rack and spend a couple hours fine tuning it.

Navi

Autocross Champion
so you mess with your toe to get your steering wheel perfect? Have you ever thought that maybe it's the street causing the car to pull to one side? Pretty rare to find a completely level street without grooves in it. There are many really competent alignment shops. Find one.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
so you mess with your toe to get your steering wheel perfect? Have you ever thought that maybe it's the street causing the car to pull to one side? Pretty rare to find a completely level street without grooves in it. There are many really competent alignment shops. Find one.

i get your point, but that's not my issue. I been doing alignments for 30 years.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
my worst nightmare is having to go to a shop for an alignment. In many many years, I have yet to get it out with a perfect steering wheel position. Well, maybe 3 out of 20 appts. I always have to fine tune it myself by marking tie rods and turning equally side to side, which of course ruins the alignment a hair.. Only way i can get it right is if I get personal use of an alignment rack and spend a couple hours fine tuning it.

I’m with you on this, rarely is the wheel completely straight ahead even though the alignment is correct, I’ve been told it’s down to the fact the car should be aligned with the engine running so as to stop the adjustments fighting with the steering rack!

I like traffic lights, I LIKE TRAFFIC LIGHTS, especially when they’re green, especially when they’re green!

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I’m with you on this, rarely is the wheel completely straight ahead even though the alignment is correct, I’ve been told it’s down to the fact the car should be aligned with the engine running so as to stop the adjustments fighting with the steering rack!

I like traffic lights, I LIKE TRAFFIC LIGHTS, especially when they’re green, especially when they’re green!

the problem usually is, they lock the steering wheel in place with the holder before start. then they adjust the camber/caster check, etc.. then they should re-center the asteering wheel and re-lock it again after that, but they don't so its off 1/2" most times..

BMAN

Go Kart Newbie
The correct way to do it is after the alignment you need to set the steering angle senor with the correct alignment equipment using the OBD port. Didn't figure this out until my third alignment.