GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air in Gas Tank?

DirtyJerzGTI

Dirty Dubbin'
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Hey everybody ~

I have noticed for a little while now that when I go to get gas and open the cap to my gas tank, I basically have a gurgle from the gas tank, like air is escaping. Just curious if this is happening to anyone else and if it is anything I should worry about. A lot of times, when I tell the attendant to put in a certain amount (ex. $20) - he'll put it in to the machine and put the pump in my tank so that it does it by itself but usually it will stop and I will have to pump it manually (not that I mind but I can never fill my tank by letting the pump hit the limit itself).

Thanks & Happy Easter!!

curiouskyle16

Ready to race!
the air escaping thing happened to me also on my mkv. I didnt make much of it because it didn't affect anything negatively.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Fumes escaping from the gas tank when you unscrew the filler cap is normal. The law requires the tank to keep fumes (hydrocarbons) from escaping and contributing to air polution, so it is sealed and pressure tested every time you start your engine -- that's what the ticking sound in the back is about.

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
I have found that when I set the pump to refill my tank at low pressure, it contributes to allowing for more gas put in before it stops by itself. Of course it just takes a lot of patience because it can take like 10 minutes. After that I manually add just a bit more to round the price I have to pay. I do that when I'm taking a trip and I wanna come back without a refill. All in all I can get my tank full with around 60 liters of gas (5 liters more than specified).

DirtyJerzGTI

Dirty Dubbin'
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Thanks for replies!

the air escaping thing happened to me also on my mkv. I didnt make much of it because it didn't affect anything negatively.

Yeah I'm not noticing any less MPG or anything just wondering if this was caused something not being right / broken.

Is the engine running?

Ha no no

Fumes escaping from the gas tank when you unscrew the filler cap is normal. The law requires the tank to keep fumes (hydrocarbons) from escaping and contributing to air polution, so it is sealed and pressure tested every time you start your engine -- that's what the ticking sound in the back is about.

Yes this I did know but I'm not saying I'm smelling an excess of fumes or anything. It literally gurgles (air) when the cap is opened - sometimes even I first start driving my car I'll hear it from inside. Guessing that would be caused by what you were describing in your last sentence.

I have found that when I set the pump to refill my tank at low pressure, it contributes to allowing for more gas put in before it stops by itself. Of course it just takes a lot of patience because it can take like 10 minutes. After that I manually add just a bit more to round the price I have to pay. I do that when I'm taking a trip and I wanna come back without a refill. All in all I can get my tank full with around 60 liters of gas (5 liters more than specified).

Well my car doesn't allow the gas to just flow until the Machine tells it stop. It's like pressure is going against the gas as it it's going in. Even if I start pumping the gas myself, the handle from the gas tank will stop as I'm holding and have to hold it, let go, hold it, let go, sometimes it takes a few minutes just to get a 1/2 tank!