GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air flow problem

KevinFastMkV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
Anyone w/ Quad exhaust has this problem? this cat back has been on for 2 weeks now, but look at this:help:

Attachments

• DSC00139拷貝1.jpg
    DSC00139拷貝1.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 417

initialGTI

Ready to race!
what brand is that?? thats quite awkward

KevinFastMkV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
thats milltek quad catback. i think it is because of the way they design the exhaust.

Attachments

• mtk_gv_quad_4851.jpg
    mtk_gv_quad_4851.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
This happens frequently, with "Y" tips.

The exhaust ALWAYS wants to go the path of least resistance (in this case, to the outside tips). There isn't any way of "coaxing" the exhaust to go to the inside ones, to even the soot, unless you welded some sort of baffle in the "Y" section.

You could always do the following:

1. Clean all of the tips, so that they're shiney again.
2. Stuff steel wool into the OUTSIDE tips only, forcing more exhaust gases to come out the inner tips. Keep steel wool inside until the inside tips are sufficiently "black" with exhaust soot.
3. Remove steel wool from outside tips, and THOSE tips will now get dirty.

When all 4 are suffienciently dirty, NEVER wash the exhaust tips (or you have to start 1-3 all over again).

KevinFastMkV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
This happens frequently, with "Y" tips.

The exhaust ALWAYS wants to go the path of least resistance (in this case, to the outside tips). There isn't any way of "coaxing" the exhaust to go to the inside ones, to even the soot, unless you welded some sort of baffle in the "Y" section.

You could always do the following:

1. Clean all of the tips, so that they're shiney again.
2. Stuff steel wool into the OUTSIDE tips only, forcing more exhaust gases to come out the inner tips. Keep steel wool inside until the inside tips are sufficiently "black" with exhaust soot.
3. Remove steel wool from outside tips, and THOSE tips will now get dirty.

When all 4 are suffienciently dirty, NEVER wash the exhaust tips (or you have to start 1-3 all over again).

:thumbup: Thanks! So how much will it be if I welded some baffle in the "Y" section and where can I get it done?

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
:thumbup: Thanks! so the only way to "fix" is to make the inner tips black like the outside tips. and there is no way to make the air flow even due to the Y tips design?

We have a similar issue with our BMW E46 M3 El Diablo exhaust...

However, in our case, the #2 and #4 tips stay relatively clean. Similar issue...the exhaust gases go where they wanna go.

KevinFastMkV

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
ünpimptheauto;203210 said:
We have a similar issue with our BMW E46 M3 El Diablo exhaust...

However, in our case, the #2 and #4 tips stay relatively clean. Similar issue...the exhaust gases go where they wanna go.

#2 and #4 tips?? you mean stuff the steel wool in the outside tips and never wash the exhaust again?
What if I want to welded some baffle in the "Y" section. How much will it be and where can I get it done:thumbup:

ünpimptheauto

Touring Car Newbie
#2 and #4 tips?? you mean stuff the steel wool in the outside tips and never wash the exhaust again?
What if I want to welded some baffle in the "Y" section. How much will it be and where can I get it done:thumbup:

The steel wool idea is only if you're concerned about making them black "evenly". Otherwise, you can always spraypaint the inside of the tips.

You could try to weld a baffle...but you won't find anyone that can reach that far into the tips to do it cleanly.