GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Air conditioning need refilling again...

carlosfandango

So last year my air con pressure sensor blew in my 2004 1.6 FSI. I replaced the part and got the system re-filled. That was August 2020, fast forward to March 2021 and the air con started making the darth vadar noises again, I got the people out again and he explained that as the system was totally empty after the sensor failure it may be that the seals weren't lubricated enough and more gas escaped than should have. This time he slightly over filled to compensate for the seals leaking a little, but now the air con is making the sounds again.

It's only been 4 months! Should I just accept that it's an old car and it's to be expected or is there something wrong?

Any thoughts/answers much appreciated... it's sooooo hot :(

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Find someone that has the proper tools to find & fix your leak/s, the AC system is supposed to be a closed system not venting to atmosphere.

carlosfandango

That's what I figured. Just trying to get them to come back out for free as they told me last time there was nothing wrong, but seem like he didn't really check to hard.

Thanks for the replies.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
Sometimes the leaks can be a little hard to find if they are very small and the tech does not have proper equipment, I took a car back to the dealer a few times for a leak that would cause the refrigerant to leak out in 6 months or so three time to them to fix and each time they replaced a switch or sender on the system and sent me on my way. I then decided to get a refrigerant sniffer and see what I could find. Well the leak was the in the Evap core behind the dash and no visual inspection was going to locate that small leak only a sniffer that was able to detect minuscule amounts of loss over a year.