GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adding second 12v socket or powered USB socket for Bluetooth receiver

simonds1

I used to listen to music in my 07 mk5 Golf via the headphones socket on my phone, into a 3.5mm AUX connection to my RNS510. The headphones socket on my phone decided to give up a few months ago. My RNS510 doesn't have Bluetooth and I have tried many different devices that supposedly give it Bluetooth, and have failed miserably every time. Anyway, I have just bought a tiny little Bluetooth receiver that actually works!! :thumbup: It just plugs in to my 3.5mm AUX connection from before. Genius. This is it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-B...ie=UTF8&qid=1531167899&sr=8-1&keywords=zf-850

It works beautifully, sound quality is great, but....the main annoying thing about it is that it gets its power from a USB socket and at the moment I am using a cigarette lighter USB socket to connect it to. This is annoying me for two reasons...

1. I have to have my ashtray lid open to have somethig plugged in to the cigarette lighter socket.

2. The power to it goes off (and therefore the music stops) when I turn the ignition off. But I am used to the music from the stereo only stopping when you actually remove the key from the ignition rather than just turn it off.

So I basically want to either get a powered USB socket, or a second cigarette lighter socket that I can somehow hard wire into the car (and hide somewhere) so the power to it comes on and off with the RNS510 rather than the ignition. Has anyone done anything like this and can give any advice? I was thinking to tap into the power going to the RNS510 somehow and then just earth it to the car somewhere, but I just read on another website that apparently this isn't straightforward because of the CANBUS? :iono:

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, thank you :thumbsup:

vwengineer

Ready to race!
I think the RNS has constant power so you cannot take power there or you will drain the battery. You can buy 12v to USB converters and plug it somewhere else but it's not straight forward since there is no "switched" power that will work well with the radio. Your best bet would be to either replace the headunit with one with Bluetooth, the RCD330 for example which is about 100-150$ in China or to tap in the cigarette lighter switched power to add a USB for your adapter.

simonds1

Hi vwengineer, thank you for your replies. It's interesting that you mention the CD changer port, because although it does have one, I don't think it works. I have tried 3 Bluetooth units previously that use the CD changer port to operate and none of them have worked. I even took the car to a dealer to make sure the CD changer port was enabled with VAGCOM or VCDS or whatever it's called, and they still didn't work after coding. So I think I have a duff CD changer port :frown: