GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

adding a 5A power circuit to Fuse Box C

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
adding a 5A power circuit to Fuse Box C (using vacant slot, not add a fuse)

I recently added a couple of 5A power circuits to the fuse box on the left side of the dash. Thought I would pass along what I learned.
----
Pop off the fuse panel cover on the left side of the dash board using a trim tool or similar.

Warning: VW adjusts its fuse box layout regularly, your box likely is a different layout.

In the above picture you can see unused fuse positions that have the B+ terminal in place
(i.e. Fuse positions 7-8-9-11 (switched) and 14-17 (unswitched).
All that is needed is to add a terminal for the load side and add a corresponding fuse
to add a new circuit to the box.

Take a photo or carefully record the fuse positions of your fuse block with fuses in place for later reference.
You will need to remove all fuses as part of this process.

To add a 5A circuit, you will need a VW repair wire. A variety of wire gauges are available (see below).
A VW 000-979-021 was used for this post.
One (1) repair wire will be cut in half to provide
two (2) terminal with pigtail (enough to add 2 circuits).

---
added 23-Jul-2010 Repair wire sizes available - Thanks anewman for the reference, thanks my-gti.com for the data

2.8mm terminals - ATM fuse (small fuses)
000 979 021 : 0.5mm wire (used for this post / pictures) (000979021)
000 979 133 : 1.0mm wire (000979133)
000 979 225 : 2.5mm wire (000979225)

4.8mm terminals - ATO fuse (large fuses)
000 979 023 : 0.5mm wire (000979023)
000 979 135 : 1.0mm wire (000979135)
000 979 227 : 2.5mm wire (000979227)
000 979 306 : 4.0mm wire (000979306)
/end addition 23-Jul-2010
---
Remove battery ground terminal.
Remove the fuse box (two T20 torx screws, one each top and bottom).
(I also removed the left side of the dash for better access, but it can be done without.
For info on left dash panel removal, refer to LHD MkV drivers mini-glovebox installation aka Dash Cubby )

Remove the black cable cover on the rear of the box (three release clips)
Remove all fuses!

Using a screwdriver gently pry the lock back while sliding the pink terminal housing down in its cover a tiny bit.

This small movement of the pink terminal holder releases the pin locks so that pins can be inserted and removed.
This is all that is needed to insert a new terminal.
(If you wanted to remove a terminal, you would still need a pin removal tool to depress the locks on the pin itself.
This can only be accomplished after the fuse block pin lock is released.)

Insert the repair wire / terminal until it clicks and locks in place.
The spring clips on the terminal itself will lock it in place.
The fuse block terminal lock prevents just those catches from freeing or accepting a pin.
---- Reassemble
Move pink housing back to original pin locked position.
Replace rear cover
Remount fuse block
reinstall original fuses

new terminals circled

For the 0.5mm repair wire, add a new ATM 5A fuse
in the positions you have activated. (ATM 5A = VW pn N 102 615 01)

Complete - two new circuits added

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Great info!!

Was this something that your local VW dealer had in stock already??? How much was it for the wires???

What does the dealer call this/refer to it as??? (I don't know if it'd be a different part number for my '09 GTI)

I'm pretty good with wiring stuff, but just to be sure......so you put this in the back of the fuse box & then that new yellow VW wire then goes to power your radar detector, boost gauge, etc....right??

And then the fuse protects it, right??? (don't need another inline fuse or anything?)

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
Great info!!

Was this something that your local VW dealer had in stock already??? How much was it for the wires???

Local dealers did not have it in stock, closest dealer that had one was 100 mi away. Local dealer ordered and had it in less than 24 hrs, $7.25+s'tax

What does the dealer call this/refer to it as??? (I don't know if it'd be a different part number for my '09 GTI)

I am not at home where my receipt is, vacated until power returns from recent storm. Can't remember, but it was something simple like 'repair wire'.
Can't say about the '09 for certain. While VW seems to revise the fuse circuit layout regularly, the box itself seems constant.

I'm pretty good with wiring stuff, but just to be sure......so you put this in the back of the fuse box & then that new yellow VW wire then goes to power your radar detector, boost gauge, etc....right??

And then the fuse protects it, right??? (don't need another inline fuse or anything?)

Correct - correct - correct. You must add a fuse in the previous vacant spot to connect the existing B+ terminal to the new load side terminal via the fuse - no need for an additional inline fuse - just like factory installed :w00t: About the only mystery is identifying which available fuse B+ bars are switched and which are unswitched, that is likely to vary.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
yeah you're right about the fuse box....mine looks like yours, but doesn't have as many fuses in it

I already figured out/know which ones are switched power though

THANKS!!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Just bought one from my dealer....it was $10.44 after tax here in Michigan.....THANKS!!! for the info/help

This will lead to a cleaner install for my radar & (future) boost gauge

d.C

DJ
thanks snobrdrdan for guiding me to this page.

i'm a wire newbie and i have some questions.
first, where does the other end of the wire go to?
also, do you have to buy a fuse and add it to the slot?

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
thanks snobrdrdan for guiding me to this page.

i'm a wire newbie and i have some questions.
first, where does the other end of the wire go to?
also, do you have to buy a fuse and add it to the slot?

The other end of the repair wire (the cut end) represents a +12V power source (after it is inserted in the fuse box and connected with a new fuse). Connect the added repair wire to any new item that needs power (5A or less). In my example the new un-switched connection goes to an added rain / light sensor and the switched connection powers an added automatic dimming inside rearview mirror. I stripped, tinned, soldered and heat shrunk the repair wire to a new wire feeding those devices
---
Absolutely, you must add a new fuse to fill the slot and connect the available +12V to the new device via the fuse.

d.C

DJ
The other end of the repair wire (the cut end) represents a +12V power source (after it is inserted in the fuse box and connected with a new fuse). Connect the added repair wire to any new item that needs power (5A or less). In my example the new un-switched connection goes to an added rain / light sensor and the switched connection powers an added automatic dimming inside rearview mirror. I stripped, tinned, soldered and heat shrunk the repair wire to a new wire feeding those devices
---
Absolutely, you must add a new fuse to fill the slot and connect the available +12V to the new device via the fuse.

did you cut the repair wire in half so you can use it for two terminals?
i'm going to use it to power my boost gauge, would that be under 5A? where can i buy those fuse and how do i know which one i need?

thanks for the info!

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
did you cut the repair wire in half so you can use it for two terminals?
i'm going to use it to power my boost gauge, would that be under 5A? where can i buy those fuse and how do i know which one i need?

thanks for the info!

Yes, I cut the wire in half, soldered each new piece of wire to a different item that needed power. One wire will provide the terminals needed to add two independent devices.

The fuse is a standard ATM type fuse available from any auto parts store (AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc.) If you want to purchase one from a VW dealer, the VW part number is N 102 615 01

As for your gauge, you will need to consult its documentation to determine its current requirements.

d.C

DJ
Yes, I cut the wire in half, soldered each new piece of wire to a different item that needed power. One wire will provide the terminals needed to add two independent devices.

The fuse is a standard ATM type fuse available from any auto parts store (AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc.) If you want to purchase one from a VW dealer, the VW part number is N 102 615 01

As for your gauge, you will need to consult its documentation to determine its current requirements.

ordered the wire from my dealer today.
also got a fuse from them while i'm at it, the 5A fuse was $1,97 plus tax if anyone is interested.

great info in here.

JetTurbo

geezer
Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn 6M
should i look for a "unswitched" slot or a "switched" slot? how do i tell if it's switched or unswitched?

That is determined by the device you are connecting.
If it requires constant power, regardless of key position, you want un-switched.
If it only requires power when the key is (essentially) on , you want switched.

As for identification of the existing available B+ terminals for switched or un-switched operation, I used a Bentley shop manual. To find the fuse layout in the Bentley manaul, you will need to know the exact model and month / year of the build date of your vehicle. From there, a Bentley manual will give you the best guide to the fuse box layout on your variant.

Note in the pictures of the back of the fuse box the wires providing B+ connect to multiple slots via a bar across the back. By identifying adjacent circuits sharing the same bar as an available slot, you should be able to determine if that supply is switched or un-switched. In my case it was easier, the oe VW devices I was adding were listed in the fuse layout, the assgined slots were free, so I ended up with factory locations for the added cirucits :thumbup:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
JetTurbo,

Just wanted to say THANKS again. I used this method for my radar detector (instead of the "add a circuit" fuse thingy) and it worked out A LOT better & much cleaner looking.

Install was super super simple. EXCEPT that my dumb ass didn't line up one of the notches on the rear cover for the fuse panel & broke one of the 3 tabs off. It still holds on fine, but was a stupid move on my behalf.
Tried to get a new one from the dealer, but they don't even sell that part by itself.....oh well.

thanks again though for the awesome write up!

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
ordered the wire from my dealer today.
also got a fuse from them while i'm at it, the 5A fuse was $1,97 plus tax if anyone is interested.

great info in here.

This thread & the pictures/info are dead on

You just cut the wire (from VW) in half.....undo the trim panels....undo the fuse box....remove the fuses....remove the rear cover......unclip the little notch & slide the pink part of the box down......slide in the wire until it "snaps/clicks" in & then put it all back together & put in a fuse and then you have a fused power accessory (wire)!!

Doesn't take long & is a very clean install

Haggisman14

Cram V
Car(s)
CW 2 Door
Just got me some goodies, will post pics tomorrow to make sure what i got is the same and will work...awesome idea!!!