GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adatec Turbocharger

GTI@UAE

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello folks, I wanted to just warn anyone who'd be thinking of purchasing the " ADATEC " K04 turbocharger to stay away. My first impression when I received the turbocharger was pretty good, I was really impressed at the size of the turbine compared to my K04 064. Install was ok besides the internal wastegate need to be slightly clocked because it was facing the engine and required to be clocked away from the engine. Started tuning, everything was ok until we reached 20 psi. Started hearing screeching noises coming out of the filter (metal hitting metal). Removed the turbo to find the compressor wheel's edges shattered.
I contacted them straight after (this was a couple of months ago) and informed them of exactly how it happened and how long it lasted. They responded by saying I misused it, how because I turned the boost to 20psi lol. One year warranty that is mentioned is a load of rubbish.

I am currently GTX3071r 0.82r and still in the tuning stage (21 psi) and car is flying. I came across ADATEC turbo and thought I'd make this review to warn people to stay away.

blackscell

Car(s)
Golf mk7
Thanks, was about to buy their turbo until I read your review! Was the GTX plug and play, how much did you buy it for if you mind me asking?

GTI@UAE

Passed Driver's Ed
No it's not plug and play. I've got tubular manifolds, Tial 44mm wastegate along with the downpipe. Only with these does it become plug and play. Oh yea I've got a custom intake pipe aswell. This set up will cost you thousands of dollars.
If you're thinking about a plug and play turbo, I'm not sure how good they are but if I had to start over and venture with the Chinese pnp turbo, I'd try the powerspirit K04 hybrid ballbearing that they offer. Less than $800 compressor size a 53/71 and turbine is 47/54 and they have a one year warranty. Not so sure how truthful they are about their warranty and they've been in business for sometime now. I think theyre more popular in Australia.

blackscell

Car(s)
Golf mk7
I'm trying to hit around 450HP~ now. Running 360HP stock with complete milltek exhaust, forge twintake and K04 turbo. Upgraded alot of stuff to be able to hit 500HP+ but didn't change motor internals so wanna hit a safe 450. Thinking about TTE480/TTH450. Or would you say in this case the hybrid one does the job?

Last edited:

GTI@UAE

Passed Driver's Ed
If you are willing to take the risk then yes but I'd advise against it (better safe than sorry). I'd also advise you to upgrade your connecting rods because hybrid turbos generate alot of torque in the lower rpms causing alot of stress on the rods. If you want 450hp and stock block, you'd get away with it with a gtx3071r with low boost (torque wouldn't be as aggressive as a hybrid at 450hp).

GTI@UAE

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm trying to hit around 450HP~ now. Running 360HP stock with complete milltek exhaust, forge twintake and K04 turbo. Upgraded alot of stuff to be able to hit 500HP+ but didn't change motor internals so wanna hit a safe 450. Thinking about TTE480/TTH450. Or would you say in this case the hybrid one does the job?
Btw TTE480 is also a hybrid. Hybrid means bigger compressor and turbine wheels in the stock K04 housing (sometimes thrust bearing upgrades, shaft, and/ or ball bearing)

blackscell

Car(s)
Golf mk7
If you are willing to take the risk then yes but I'd advise against it (better safe than sorry). I'd also advise you to upgrade your connecting rods because hybrid turbos generate alot of torque in the lower rpms causing alot of stress on the rods. If you want 450hp and stock block, you'd get away with it with a gtx3071r with low boost (torque wouldn't be as aggressive as a hybrid at 450hp).
Thanks mate for all the good info. I have a Mk6 R, I heard the rods are quite strong on these. But upgrading the rods would be the safer option for running 450?

GTI@UAE

Passed Driver's Ed
I've seen a pic somewhere comparing the golf r connecting rods and the GTI and they were not the same (slightly thicker). Cams also on the Golf r are better than the GTIs. Like I said in one of my posts up, that there is a 450hp with low torque (big turbo such as a gtx3071r and bigger) and there is 450hp with pretty high rod breaking torque with hybrid turbos. If you want to reach 450hp on a stock block you can do so with a big turbo on low boost. That's the path I'd take if I were in your shoes and when I have the budget to build my engine I do that and then just crank up the boost. With a hybrid you'd be stuck with 450 (reliably) but with big turbo you'd be closer to 600hp

GTI@UAE

Passed Driver's Ed
When you're talking about 600HP, does that include all the motor's internals, WMI, new clutches?
Connecting rods, pistons and springs if you want to rev it to 8.5k. if you're happy with 7.5k then just rods and pistons. Either meth or a 5th injector (if you don't want to deal with filling distilled water + methanol every now and then). A dsg tune will be fine but you'll know when the clutches start slipping. I got a pm4 cause our lpfp's controllers overheat and can't keep up with the demands of bigger pumps. Hpfp upgrade as well, I switched to roller bearing conversion kit cause to be honest I was sick of checking the cam follower and had a failure from it. It also apparently provides an increase in fuel flow (28% they say). You'll need a bigger intercooler, good tune and that's about it. Not sure what the stock haldex can handle, check that aswell.

blackscell

Car(s)
Golf mk7
Connecting rods, pistons and springs if you want to rev it to 8.5k. if you're happy with 7.5k then just rods and pistons. Either meth or a 5th injector (if you don't want to deal with filling distilled water + methanol every now and then). A dsg tune will be fine but you'll know when the clutches start slipping. I got a pm4 cause our lpfp's controllers overheat and can't keep up with the demands of bigger pumps. Hpfp upgrade as well, I switched to roller bearing conversion kit cause to be honest I was sick of checking the cam follower and had a failure from it. It also apparently provides an increase in fuel flow (28% they say). You'll need a bigger intercooler, good tune and that's about it. Not sure what the stock haldex can handle, check that aswell.
Here we are again, my good friend. Unfortunately had the wrong spark plugs installed, no compression in 4th cylinder. So my engine is going open.

If there is no further damage done, I'll go for a forged engine in combination with an EFR 7163.

What would you recommend? By now I have:
HPFP Upgrade
RS6 LPFP
RS3 Injectors
Stage 3 Intercooler
200 Cell decat Milltek exhaust+ downpipe
Forge Twintake
GFB DV+
RS4 Valve
BKR8EIX Plugs
R8 Coil pack

Planning:
EFR 7163
Rods
Springs
APR Studs

Camshaft? Necessary?

GTI@UAE

Passed Driver's Ed
It's all about the tune. To my knowledge is the turbo is not that big so I wouldn't bother with cams, besides the golf r cams are better than mk5 gti cams and I'm holding up pretty well so far. I doubt your turbo will be gaining much after 7,500rpm but for insurance why not springs. What do you have for controlling the lpfp? Stock control modules overheat, I'm using PM4 with my walbro. I'm assuming you mean RS4 injectors? Anyways your set up is pretty good but I'd recommend methanol or a 5th injector to get two birds with one stone, the extra power and to keep them valves clean (saves you the headache of dismantling the intake manifold). Oh yea I'm using these 101905611G plugs. They come stock on the vag 3.0T and I think 4.0T, the interchangeable Bosch brand is good aswell. Anyways it's all about the tune, good luck.

blackscell

Car(s)
Golf mk7
It's all about the tune. To my knowledge is the turbo is not that big so I wouldn't bother with cams, besides the golf r cams are better than mk5 gti cams and I'm holding up pretty well so far. I doubt your turbo will be gaining much after 7,500rpm but for insurance why not springs. What do you have for controlling the lpfp? Stock control modules overheat, I'm using PM4 with my walbro. I'm assuming you mean RS4 injectors? Anyways your set up is pretty good but I'd recommend methanol or a 5th injector to get two birds with one stone, the extra power and to keep them valves clean (saves you the headache of dismantling the intake manifold). Oh yea I'm using these 101905611G plugs. They come stock on the vag 3.0T and I think 4.0T, the interchangeable Bosch brand is good aswell. Anyways it's all about the tune, good luck.
No, RS3 injectors with headmod. Going for WMI, changing turbo to G25-660. Need to check into LPFP controller, didn't know about that one. Going for Supertech springs, thanks for that one.

GTI@UAE

Passed Driver's Ed
No, RS3 injectors with headmod. Going for WMI, changing turbo to G25-660. Need to check into LPFP controller, didn't know about that one. Going for Supertech springs, thanks for that one.
You can also use R8 springs, cheaper than other springs and you can rev them up.
Did you finalise your car?

I got 444 whp @ 27psi on a Dyno jet and basically out of fuel past 6k rpm. Just ordered a 175 fprv and will probably go port injection