GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS MODULE FAILURE

dkmassimino

Hello all,
The dealer has just informed me that my abs module in my 2009 gti needs replaced and will cost 1100 dollars. THis is apparently causing my whole instrument cluster to go haywire as well. I was wondering in the meantime while i order the part if i pull the fuse for the abs module if it would set the instrument cluster back to normal>

any ideas?

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
This came up on a search, just FYI this is a common ABS problem on the 09 cars. I'm not sure a used module would be the fix. I am trying to get part numbers now.

MCGTIMKV

Good to know 'stuff'

I learned a hard lesson through this.

1) If it is only the module, you can switch the module (it has to be a perfect match for your ABS pump). (Possible, I would discourage going down this path). I found a 'module' on-line at a VW shop thinking that was all I needed (first $600 in my lesson down the tubes...).
2) It is simpler to buy a used module and pump together. I found one at a local VW used parts place (it was a VW wrecking yard). They can also be found on eBay, make sure you get a warranty.
3) To get the correct pump you need; year, model and your VIN (they use the VW computers to ensure a match).
4) Mine came out of a Jetta, worked fine...eventually.
5) I took mine to a local shop who assured me that their computer could do anything the dealer computer could do....wrong.
6) They had the car for almost a week. They would install, plug in the computer, change all the settings...and then turn off the car. When the car was restarted, all the settings were gone.
7) The ultimate fix involved a dealer and their computers to ultimately 'save' the config changes made.
8) Labor for this replacement/re-programming through the dealer is 3 hours, pay it and don't try to save a few bucks, this 'lesson' cost me about $800 more than it needed to, trust me on this. (the other $200 in my lesson).
The used pump/module was roughly $250, a new pump/module was quoted to me from $1400-$1700. Please learn from my mistakes.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I still say a used module is a bad idea as this plagues the 09 cars. I have heard of rebuilt units that have the updated parts.

flat tire

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Electric + 135i
I learned a hard lesson through this.

1) If it is only the module, you can switch the module (it has to be a perfect match for your ABS pump). (Possible, I would discourage going down this path). I found a 'module' on-line at a VW shop thinking that was all I needed (first $600 in my lesson down the tubes...).
2) It is simpler to buy a used module and pump together. I found one at a local VW used parts place (it was a VW wrecking yard). They can also be found on eBay, make sure you get a warranty.
3) To get the correct pump you need; year, model and your VIN (they use the VW computers to ensure a match).
4) Mine came out of a Jetta, worked fine...eventually.
5) I took mine to a local shop who assured me that their computer could do anything the dealer computer could do....wrong.
6) They had the car for almost a week. They would install, plug in the computer, change all the settings...and then turn off the car. When the car was restarted, all the settings were gone.
7) The ultimate fix involved a dealer and their computers to ultimately 'save' the config changes made.
8) Labor for this replacement/re-programming through the dealer is 3 hours, pay it and don't try to save a few bucks, this 'lesson' cost me about $800 more than it needed to, trust me on this. (the other $200 in my lesson).
The used pump/module was roughly $250, a new pump/module was quoted to me from $1400-$1700. Please learn from my mistakes.

Most people who are out that much money wouldn't post about it. Thanks for letting us know how NOT to do this job :thumbsup:

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
The part is about $580 from online dealers. I believe it's all-in-one.

karls.gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTi
If this is a common issue then it needs to be brought to the attention of the NHTSA so that VW will cover replacement cost of the units.

NHTSA uses this logic to determine if they can do a recall- is it a safety hazard? The brakes locking up could be a safety hazard, we should be in the clear for a recall or at least get a campaign going for VW to help out with the cost of the repair.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

boki

Ready to race!
Well it's not a problem first time it happens, like going a bit fast into a corner or letting off while going through a fast corner (at least that's when all three lights come on for me followed with 3 loud beeps) but after that the traction computer doesn't work any more till I turn the car off and on again. So if I just continue driving with the lights on it is a risk of car sliding it's tail out on a lift off in the middle of a fast down hill corner for example or generally at any risk asociated with traction control not working and that could get dangerous fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

jtb283

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I know numerous people have contacted VWoA and started a claim. I was able to get them to cover the costs, but not everyone is so lucky. It seems its always 09's. If people made more noise about this I'm sure they would do something.

karls.gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
09 GTi
I know numerous people have contacted VWoA and started a claim. I was able to get them to cover the costs, but not everyone is so lucky. It seems its always 09's. If people made more noise about this I'm sure they would do something.

Can you shoot me that number and what kind of info you fed them? I'd like to get mine taken care of but the funds are a little low so it's on a "need to fix" basis and this hasn't made that list yet.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

ssayler

Another 2009 GTI owner here with an ABS module failure, mine occurred at 58000 miles. In addition to Christmas tree lights, my speedometer also started dropping to 0 intermittently along with the fuel gauge.

Lucky for me it failed right before my extended warranty ran out at 60k, so I'm having it fixed for free now.