GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ABS Control Module

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
I sent my paper in as well. Still waiting to hear back been about a month now I think.

I checked VW.com and read through much of the site. Didn't see any actual mailing address for warranty related questions. It was probably there somewhere, but I gave up looking after awhile.

So I wonder if there would be any value if we all "sent" our already repaired ABS Module warranty claims / paperwork to the same address?

I only spent $200 on my replacement module (plus a day of my time). But if all affected forum members used the same address - it might make more of an impression on VW's staff.

- What address should we use?
- Does anyone have an actual VW contact name at that address??

I probably don't have much hope of getting my $200 back, but it would sure make me "feel better" to at least bitch to VW about the problem!

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
I checked VW.com and read through much of the site. Didn't see any actual mailing address for warranty related questions. It was probably there somewhere, but I gave up looking after awhile.

So I wonder if there would be any value if we all "sent" our already repaired ABS Module warranty claims / paperwork to the same address?

I only spent $200 on my replacement module (plus a day of my time). But if all affected forum members used the same address - it might make more of an impression on VW's staff.

- What address should we use?
- Does anyone have an actual VW contact name at that address??

I probably don't have much hope of getting my $200 back, but it would sure make me "feel better" to at least bitch to VW about the problem!

The instructions for submitting a claim were on the recall notice I got in the mail. I forgot what the address was, but try emailing VWOA to see if they can send you the form. I tried to fatten up the bill on mine since my module was so cheap. I added on the bentley manual and reciepts for tools I bought for the job lmao. I think it ended up only being a claim for like $400.

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
I received the recall notice about three months ago. But I didn't take any action because I had no issues. However three weeks ago when I was at a track, the lights started flashing and I had no idea what was happening. I pulled the car off the track and checked everything out and all appeared to be in order. Started the car up again lights were off and went back on track. Very shortly after the Christmas tree thing happen again but I stayed on the track thinking nothing felt wrong. Then I hit a corner a little hot and noticed my back swing out more than usual, in fact I had to countersteer to correct the spin. I loved it!! It was so nice to drive a car without any controls and truly feel the limits of my car.

Has anyone considered not getting the module fixed? My car is not a daily driver it's a sunshine only, take me to the golf course, track duty car. That said stability control has saved me a few times in the past on the track but I'm thinking of not fixing the module. Knowing nanny controls are not there means I'm more careful at the limits.. it would be nice to have more rotation around corners .. though would miss the abs.

Has anyone else to considered not fixing for the same reasons?

Last edited:

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
When mine failed, it affected more than just the ABS. I suspect the bad module interfered with CAN communication - my speedometer, odometer, and fuel gauge would quit working, the warning chime would randomly sound while flashing warning message to take car to the shop, the power steering boost didn't properly return to center (steering light would show yellow & red), the cruise control didn't work, and of course ABS was disabled. All the flashing dash lights, chimes, and messages drove me crazy. A few times the car imposed an RPM limit (sort of a limp mode). Actually, given the safety implications of all those items, I'm surprised it took VW so long to issue the recall. Not to mention, it was really annoying to drive!

FastersBetter

Ready to race!
When mine failed, it affected more than just the ABS. I suspect the bad module interfered with CAN communication - my speedometer, odometer, and fuel gauge would quit working, the warning chime would randomly sound while flashing warning message to take car to the shop, the power steering boost didn't properly return to center (steering light would show yellow & red), the cruise control didn't work, and of course ABS was disabled. All the flashing dash lights, chimes, and messages drove me crazy. A few times the car imposed an RPM limit (sort of a limp mode). Actually, given the safety implications of all those items, I'm surprised it took VW so long to issue the recall. Not to mention, it was really annoying to drive!

That sounds horrible! If that's a potential outcome then I'm just going to go ahead and get her fixed up.

Does anyone know if getting the module fixed will impact my APR ecu flash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Doktor

Probably Drunk
Got my message back from VW, my claim was denied for self repair.

So their decision making process is "pay us a buttload of money to fix this, and then maybe we'll reimburse you... if we can't find a way not to". I mean, it sucks that you're out the money. But at least you're only out THAT money & not the $2000 more that you'd be out if you let VW do it.

It's why I'm crossing my fingers that a replacement off a junkyard 08 model will work when I get around to doing it. At least then, I'm only out a weekend of my labor & the $40 that the used module/pump cost me.

The Doktor

Probably Drunk
I received the recall notice about three months ago. But I didn't take any action because I had no issues. However three weeks ago when I was at a track, the lights started flashing and I had no idea what was happening. I pulled the car off the track and checked everything out and all appeared to be in order. Started the car up again lights were off and went back on track. Very shortly after the Christmas tree thing happen again but I stayed on the track thinking nothing felt wrong. Then I hit a corner a little hot and noticed my back swing out more than usual, in fact I had to countersteer to correct the spin. I loved it!! It was so nice to drive a car without any controls and truly feel the limits of my car.

Has anyone considered not getting the module fixed? My car is not a daily driver it's a sunshine only, take me to the golf course, track duty car. That said stability control has saved me a few times in the past on the track but I'm thinking of not fixing the module. Knowing nanny controls are not there means I'm more careful at the limits.. it would be nice to have more rotation around corners .. though would miss the abs.

Has anyone else to considered not fixing for the same reasons?

Is it manual or DSG? I can't speak on the DSG ones (but it seems that it affects speedo & I've even heard of the car trying to downshift to 1st at highway speeds because the RPM or speedo gets wonky. That's danger territory there.)

But for a manual, I've let mine go for the better part of 18 months. It started 2 winters back & was only when I was hard braking in the snow. Then it added faulting if I hit a bump real hard. But in both cases, a quick off/on & roll-starting it fixed it (since I was too impatient to even wait to get to a stoplight or stop sign before restarting it) But in the past 6 months or so, it went to being a crapshoot every time I turned on the car. I've drifted on rainy days when coming into a corner that I previously wouldn't have even slowed down for. And I've had some traction control issues that remind me of driving my old Jeep with handling at speed. But, for the most part, it hasn't been an issue. More of a nuisance when I turn the car on if it's going to chime at me & if I have to stare at those lights.

So it's really an issue of how it affects DSG cars vs how it affects manual. If it's a manual, all you lose is that extra safety aspect. If it's a DSG, it can really get wonky on you & try to kill you.

frnkwhte

VWOA shot me down for replacing the module on my GTI even after failing their tests. Their reason was that they couldn't communicate with the module.. well that's because it's junk! So I'll be replacing it with one from a 2011/2012 and coding it with VCDS. My problem is that VCDS isn't reading the long code due to the communication issue. I've seen on other forums people looking it up by VIN/model etc. Anyone willing to help with generating my code?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fred930

Scirocco MK II Track Car
I'm out of town and on my phone, so can't look right now. But I believe the Ross-Tech wiki has a help section for generating ABS module long codes.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
I know this is an old thread, but I brought mine in a couple weeks ago for the recall.
They did the software update and now the ABS faults at startup. They ordered a module.
I brought it back a week later, they had the car all day, said they ordered the wrong one.
Said they need to keep the car due to safety, gave me a loaner.
A week later (today), they have another tech coming in tomorrow to program it because their guy is having trouble.
So after 3 weeks + maybe my car will be fixed.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Week 3 update. They say the car is done, but the ABS light is on, they want me to pay for more diagnosis. I told them it worked before the update and I'll just pick up the car next week. SMH dealerships suck, and I'm not going to name names, but avoid the VW place in Columbus GA.
Their techs are clueless. Service writers know nothing. I asked for a wheel alignment, I'm not even sure they've done it yet.
I'll recode the module myself and even swap the whole pump if I have to (mk6 unit I have on the shelf). What a waste of time.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
For anyone looking at this recall...the dealer gave me my car back with the new module and the ABS light on. They couldn't fix it. After going through all the codes using Ross Tech's site, various basic settings, I found a link to a 'Volkswagen Tech Tip' (they make clear this is not a TSB). It explains how to turn off the ESP function test if it does not end. This is code 01486 (and/or 01487). I did this and finally my car is back normal.
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01486
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180603-0001.pdf

Attachments

• MC-10180603-0001.pdf
    210.9 KB · Views: 30