GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A04 5-Speed Gearbox Disassembly?

nlinesk8s

Car(s)
2009 Rabbit 2.5
I've finally got my A04 gearbox free of the engine (2009 5-speed 2.5 Rabbit). I need to take this apart to see if I've a broken shift fork (symptoms point to "Yes"). I've found a lot of diy and videos of the 6-speed gearbox coming apart, including a good one from Deutsche auto parts. But nothing for the A04 5-speed.

I found the shop manual for the transmission, and it shows using a fair amount of special tools to separate the shafts from the gearbox, and some holders for the fifth gear set you have to go through first before getting to the case. I don't know if those are really required, or if you just whack it with a rubber mallet like the 6-speed video.

Does anyone have experience with disassembly of the five-speed gearbox, and could give me a few pointers? I could just wing it, as I've nothing to lose at this point, but it's always nice to talk with someone who's been there.

nlinesk8s

Car(s)
2009 Rabbit 2.5
After looking a lot at the manual, it looks like there's no way to remove the 5-speed case without about $400 worth of special tools. No one rents them as far as I can find, though I'd love to be wrong about that. I think I found a LDZ from a 2011 Jetta so maybe that'll work. I'd love to post mortem my transmission, but that'll probably remain a mystery. If there's anyone out there who knows someone who works on these transmissions and has the tools, please let me know.