GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

A Professional's Guide to Detailing

RelientOne

Lurking
Now I just need an afternoon off to wash my car :) I can't wash it at my apartment but if I washed it then drove home and sprayed and dried it again would it be cool to clay and wax? its only like a 5 min drive to the self wash. Sorry for being a noob I just don't want to grind dirt in my paint.

absence

___liminal
Advance Auto has some nice blue WW drying towels that are nice and large and can soak up a large amount of water. They are right on par with more more expensive boutique brand WW towel.s

second the WW rec for drying, especially if using a bigger 24x36 or so. makes drying the hood, well, effortless.

+ agpatel, my bag of MFs will now be trying, well at least 'warm,' for the first time. thanks for the tip. if all goes well, i'll up the water temp :thumbsup:

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Car(s)
2007 5dr BMP GTI DSG
Anyone know if the ones on eBay are any good? Or any recommendations on where to buy WW towels? Thanks in advance

abramous

When you are wiping down the interior (anything except for the cloth), what do you recommend using? I used Armour-all on my last car but didn't know if it would be safe on the GTI. Let me know. Thanks.

Stranded in Daytona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 2 door TR GTI
When you are wiping down the interior (anything except for the cloth), what do you recommend using? I used Armour-all on my last car but didn't know if it would be safe on the GTI. Let me know. Thanks.

If you are just touching up things and not doing a thorough cleaning then armour-all will be fine.

If you are scrubbing and cleaning something then be prepared to take a few hours at least to clean the entire interior.

Volkswagging

Don't Hate, Inseminate
question regarding the hatch: I have less than 20k miles but am convinced that the carbon build up on the hatch has reached the point where it needs to be taken care of. noobish detailing question but is the claybar the step that will take care of these tiny black dots? I've always only done washing and waxing, and no matter how hard I try to scrub it out while washing, I can't get this buildup on the hatch out. So would something like Meguiar's claybar kit be the solution?

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
Car(s)
MKV GTI
If you are just touching up things and not doing a thorough cleaning then armour-all will be fine.

If you are scrubbing and cleaning something then be prepared to take a few hours at least to clean the entire interior.

ive been told that armor-all isnt good for the interior of our cars...therefore i dont use it...i use a damp microfiber...basically soaked in water and then rung out all the way till no more water comes out...then i wipe off the interior

co78

Ready to race!
question regarding the hatch: I have less than 20k miles but am convinced that the carbon build up on the hatch has reached the point where it needs to be taken care of. noobish detailing question but is the claybar the step that will take care of these tiny black dots? I've always only done washing and waxing, and no matter how hard I try to scrub it out while washing, I can't get this buildup on the hatch out. So would something like Meguiar's claybar kit be the solution?

yes, use a clay bar.

apecrazy

Honey Badger
cleaning radio

The radio has a kind of rubberized coating that I noticed is peeling off.

I think I used a leather/vinyl cleaner on it. What do you guys recommend? soap and water?