9 years
5 sets of wheels
2 sets of coilovers
dozens of autocrosses
track days at limerock, vir, mid america, njmp
lots of good friends made
the time has come to move on

what I like about the car
-great value, for $21k brand new not much could be had that was as nice as my GTI
-tons of interior space, the hatchback is so functional
-the community, i don't think anything is as big as the vw/audi scene

what i would change
-THE GOD DAMN STEERING, its horrible. I got used to it over the years, and when i had sticky tires and coilovers it was moderately better. I got so used to it that I thought it was decent. It wasn't until I bought a car with really good steering, that I realized how bad the GTI was.
-The clutch, way too vague of an engagement point. I drove manual for several years before getting the mkV, but i still managed to stall it a dozen times in the first week of ownership.

the car has been reliable as I have kept up with maintenance
extra maintenance that vw doesn't mention: media blasted the valves, change coil packs every 30k, change cam follower every 40k

Fresh as fck when I got it in 2006

VIR

1st place at autocross

the replacement

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I love your choice of replacement. More details on the new one please? I've been looking, casually, at 996s and 997s for the last couple of years. What made the difference for you over the mk7 R?

Dan GSR

Autocross Champion
2009 base carrrera, so it has the dfi engine. No ims bearing. 22k miles.

I did not see value in a $40k golf. I got my 911 for not much more.

I haven't driven a mk7 r yet, I will soon as my friend just got one. The 911 is not even comparable to my gti. Even with sticky tires and $3,000 coilovers the gti doesn't handle as well as the 911 stock

xSabretoothx

Fast w/ training wheels
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Your contributions over the years have been so valuable. I think it's quite a testament to the MKV GTI that you have kept it for 9 years (I'm only at 8 myself). Have fun with the 911, I hope to see you at VIR someday!

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
2009 base carrrera, so it has the dfi engine. No ims bearing. 22k miles.

I did not see value in a $40k golf. I got my 911 for not much more.

I haven't driven a mk7 r yet, I will soon as my friend just got one. The 911 is not even comparable to my gti. Even with sticky tires and $3,000 coilovers the gti doesn't handle as well as the 911 stock

You've piqued my interest, I may expand my new car search.

Thnx

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I have owned a couple of Porsche's, really wish I had kept them. You will enjoy it.

You are right, there is no comparison between a 21K dollar hatch back commuter and a 75K dollar (msrp) Porsche which is a purpose built driver that costs more than 3X the cost of the hatch back. I loved my 911's. It does cost more to keep them but worth every dollar.

Have fun, thanks for all of your many very helpful posts, I have used them for my own build. Take care.

Last edited:

Dan GSR

Autocross Champion
You've piqued my interest, I may expand my new car search.

Thnx

don't drive one, its hard to resist after that

I actually prefer how the 996 felt and sounded over the 997
I just couldn't get over the headlights, and IMS bearing

I was all over the place
I test drove:
BMW 328
BMW 228
BMW 235
Cayman S
Cadillac ATS

Also considered:
Subaru BRZ
Honda S2000

I stopped looking for a car, and this one was like 2 miles from my house parked on the used car lot, and was just SCREAMING at me.

michail77

Go Kart Champion
don't drive one, its hard to resist after that

I actually prefer how the 996 felt and sounded over the 997
I just couldn't get over the headlights, and IMS bearing

I was all over the place
I test drove:
BMW 328
BMW 228
BMW 235
Cayman S
Cadillac ATS

Also considered:
Subaru BRZ
Honda S2000

I stopped looking for a car, and this one was like 2 miles from my house parked on the used car lot, and was just SCREAMING at me.

I made the mistake of just sitting in a Maybach. But that's just not going to happen for me.

I tried out a Cadillac CTS. I wanted to like it but the styling was just trying too hard.