GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

8380 Tuning Coil Over Review

PyRo H4cKeR

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
10 MK6 GTI 6MT
Figured I'd post this up in here, incase any of you guys were interested in these coils

So let me start off by saying I’ve had plenty of experience with coils and suspension installs. And I’ve installed FK coils more times than I can remember. So when I decided to get these coils it was a little risky as I was unsure how it would go since these are new to the game. Working with Ethan was great and assured me I’d be in good hands. Shipping was fast and communication was excellent. :thumbsup:

Here’s how they looked when UPS dropped them off. Little banged up.

Thankfully, they were packaged well enough to prevent any damage. Thanks ethan!

Everything looked great

Coils come with new bump stops

Here’s my only gripe so far, the fitment wasn’t too great with the coil and perch. Ethan said this shipment had pretty thick powder coat.

Nothing a little sanding couldn’t fix.

Fronts ready for reinstall

Front coilovers installed. No fitment issues :thumbsup:

Rears installed. Requires a bit of modification of the bump stop to work.

Installed

a

Some pics of them after 2 weeks of settling. This is 0 threads in the rear and 7 threads in the front. Right now I’m measuring 24 1/4 front and 24 1/8 rear FTG. Wheel specs are the same as stock. 18” karthoum running 225/40/18 Dunlops

The Good
These coils do go pretty low. The ride quality is really where I was impressed. The day I installed them I was a bit unsure but after a few days of breaking them in and riding in other cars with fk’s and bilsteins it was clear to me that I had made the right choice. These are not nearly as bouncy as most of the coilovers out there. The ride quality I’d compare to stock on the minor bumps. Those big bumps you still feel because there is much less traveling distance on the shocks themselves, but overall very impressive.

The Bad
My only gripe would be the tight fitment due to the powder coating. This is something I’m sure they’ll get down, because these are still very new. But it’s not really too big of a deal, a bit of sanding and paint will take care of it.
8380 tuning advertises a 100mm drop with these. Now I measured at about 24 1/8 at my lowest point. Stock is about 25 7/8 (measured a stock MK6 GTI). A difference of 1 3/4 inches which is 44.45 mm. The MK6 GTI also comes from the factory a little lower than the MK5 by about 1/2 an inch (12.7 mm). So add that on and we get 57 mm with another 7 threads left to go down. Not quite the advertised 100 mm drop, but if you run the right set of wheels it should be possible to get these that low. One other thing to keep in mind is that i’m still running with my perches in and the stock mount, if I removed both of those I would gain ~ 3/4 inch.

The Verdict
Overall I was thoroughly impressed with the setup. I’ve been this low before the only difference is now I can actually drive without killing my back. I don’t know if you can get a better setup at that price or within a couple hundred that will go that low and ride that well. With that being said I doubt these will ever go as low as some FK coilovers, primarily because FK actually gives you shorter end links as they move the mounting point on the front struts lower allowing room for more threading. But unless you’re looking at the konigsports I don’t think think you’ll find a setup that will go as low and ride as well as these. I definitely look forward to seeing more people running these as I’m sure they will be as happy with their setup as I am with mine.

:thumbup::thumbup:

ehancock

Ready to race!
Nice writeup, I'll have to give these a look. Did you pay $729 from their site or is there a promo going on somewhere?

Are there any people running these for much longer than you? How do they hold up after a longer period?

PyRo H4cKeR

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
10 MK6 GTI 6MT
I think are a few guys that have been running them since they were released. I got them for $729. They seem like they'll hold up fine, but I guess only time will tell

ChattMkv

Level 80 Procrasturbator
Car(s)
2007 VW GTI
Thanks for that detailed write-up man. I bought my 8380 coils about a month ago but am just now getting around to getting them installed due to $$$ reasons lol.