GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

$75,000 and a (car) dream...

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Nope, sorry.

Just something about wagons. Think they're some of the ugliest cars on the road.

Personal opinion, of course. All the wagon bros here that have wagons and love them, at the end of the day I'm happy you're happy, because what you drive has no bearing on me whatsoever.
V70R, S4 Avant, or that sick RS6 wagon above.... love these wagons only....and I don't even have one.
But you're right. it's just a personal opinion.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
There’s a wagon getting dropped off at my shop tonight for a build over the next week or so.

I’ve dubbed it “RS6-ish” which will probably end up on a vanity plate lol. It’ll be on the YouTube channel

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I don't get the RS6 Avant hype. I think they're hideous, the same way I (sorry guys) feel about the Alltrack/GSW's. I just can't see anything flattering about a wagon.

As far as the original question, it's a hard call. If it was $75k to buy a new daily, a loaded RS3, no questions. If I didn't have to care about practicality, probably a C8 Corvette.
Rs6 avant is sooooooo nice

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Rs6 avant is sooooooo nice

I'd take the RS5 Sportback (or RS7 Sportback if that was an option) over the Avant any day of the week.

I will say though, once you get up to the 6-series cars, that interior is fucking incredible.

1612390528586.png

My god, I absolutely love that.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 Golf R Stg3 APR
Just something about wagons. Think they're some of the ugliest cars on the road.

You know......you drive a wagon right? I mean, a hatchback is just a mini wagon........so......kinda got some self loathing going on....... ;)

Seriously.......in a world where these exist, wagons are the ugliest on the road? 🤨

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
You know......you drive a wagon right? I mean, a hatchback is just a mini wagon........so......kinda got some self loathing going on....... ;)

Seriously.......in a world where these exist, wagons are the ugliest on the road? 🤨

I get what you're saying. But it's just the overall profile of a traditional wagon that kills it for me. They all just look smushed and stretched out. It's like you took a picture of a regular car or hatchback, and just stretched out the sides throwing off the proportions.

The actual stylings of the Avant are fantastic. The front end looks great, the rear end is dope, etc... It's just the profile of it that tanks it for me.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Like, this is a normal GTI:

2014-Volkswagen-Golf-GTI-Mk7-side.jpg

But here's what Alltracks\GSWs look like to me:
2014-Volkswagen-Golf-GTI-Mk7-side.png

Just smushed and stretched out. And that applies to all traditional wagons.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Like, this is a normal GTI:

View attachment 202170

But here's what Alltracks\GSWs look like to me:
View attachment 202171

Just smushed and stretched out. And that applies to all traditional wagons.
i don't see the problem here... all the convenience of a SUV with none of the looks or issues. BUT... to each their own.

Even if it's wrong :geek:

Sportback is ok...just looks like it can't make up it's mind what it wants to be though. Interior is nice...only fault is a dead pedal instead of a third pedal.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Because 5cyl turbo. :cool:

I'm not biased.

If someone just handed me $75k for a car I'd be hard pressed to go buy something new, I'd want to grab something classic, something from a dream list.

RS2 Avant

Or

Alfa Romeo GTV6 (It wouldn't cost $75k to buy, but might take that much to keep it running for a couple years lol)
I was gonna mention rs2 aw well haha

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't get the RS6 Avant hype. I think they're hideous, the same way I (sorry guys) feel about the Alltrack/GSW's. I just can't see anything flattering about a wagon.

As far as the original question, it's a hard call. If it was $75k to buy a new daily, a loaded RS3, no questions. If I didn't have to care about practicality, probably a C8 Corvette.
The GTI is just a little lower and shorter wagon.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Phur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2013 VW GTI Autobahn
Any of you see the Magnum with the Charger front end on Fitment Industries?
I think that it looks surprisingly good... until you see the back. Too many sharp lines from the back.