GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

65 inch plasma TV club!

vw761

Ready to race!
Age old question. LCD or Plasma. The best value right now for a big screen I mean 60 and over is still plasma. When I was shopping for a 65 the LCD were 4k while the plasma was 2k. Guess which I went with? The only thing I dont like about my TV is it is damm heavy.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
Plasmas to my eye look better than anything else. They produce nice rich warm colors, good blacks and don't have the weird fake look that the led's seem to create. Too much looks like a soap opera when viewed on the led's. Only downside in my view is that they have reflective screens so bright light can be an issue, or at the very least your placement should take this into account. For the money the viera line of plasmas are great.

darkorb

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Rabbit
"Plasmas to my eye look better than anything else. They produce nice rich warm colors, good blacks and don't have the weird fake look that the led's seem to create. Too much looks like a soap opera when viewed on the led's. Only downside in my view is that they have reflective screens so bright light can be an issue, or at the very least your placement should take this into account. For the money the viera line of plasmas are great. "

Very true

U can place a plasma in a room with windows/light, just make sure where ur sitting u cant see the window through the TV reflection (pretend its a mirror)

ABQGTI08

Southwest dubber
Car(s)
2008 Tornado Red GTI
Just found 50" Viera for $1049 (non 3d model)...Wondering if you guys think it a good deal?

vw761

Ready to race!
For 50 size I like 720p, cause the pixels are bigger and the picture can be more vibrant. That is my experience when I had my 720p 75u, a Panasonic model from a few years back. It was almost LCD bright yet still held it owns with black levels and shadow details with any 1080p out there.

I think you are looking at the 50 S2 Viera model right? The s2 is Panasonic mid range TV, I have a S2 and really really like it. Thank God, it does not have THX mode which I feel is highly overrated because of the dimness of the screen. THX is how your set is suppose to look in a movie like enviorment ( totally dark) But how many of us want to watch our sets in the dark all the time? I had a THX set and hated it.

ABQGTI08

Southwest dubber
Car(s)
2008 Tornado Red GTI
It was THX cert. I think im going to wait for black friday to see if they are blowing them out further. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

clutch fool

OG MUFF DIVER
Car(s)
MK5 GTI 1st Owner
I get to go shopping for a 60 inch TV. Not for me but for my parents new house. Where do I start? I have always had LCD and never had any complaints. They dont care about 3D. Any suggestions? They dont need the top of the line model but I dont wanna cheap out either.

ASCI_Blue

Ballin'
Plasma is superior to LED/LCD at this point in all but power use and weight.

Edge lit LED LCDs tend to have flashlighting issues and many times their viewing angles are piss poor since there are 3 different panel technologies. Full array LEDs are super spendy but offer comparable black levels to plasma however the cost doesn't offset the benefit to which there really isn't one.

CCFL LCDs still have light bleed through, generally poor black levels by comparison, and are still spendier than their plasma counterparts at the same size.

I used to be an LCD only guy. About a month and a half before we moved we picked up a 42" Panny plasma. Spend next to nothing on it and it's picture is simply gorgeous compared to my 32" Tosh LCD. More recently I picked up a 26" LG LED tv to use as a computer monitor since I wanted something future proof if I move to a larger pad. After getting this set dialed in the picture is damn near perfect but it's due to the LCD panel not the LED backlight.

plac

GTI Master
More recently I picked up a 26" LG LED tv to use as a computer monitor since I wanted something future proof if I move to a larger pad. After getting this set dialed in the picture is damn near perfect but it's due to the LCD panel not the LED backlight.

interesting.. i picked up a 24" Samsung LED-LCD computer monitor a few weeks ago. Ended up returning it. It was no way near as clear as my 22" HP LCD monitor. In fact, I bought 3 diff monitors that week.. Returned all of them. None were as good as my older HP 22" wide. (w2207). I did not find the "LED" feature nice in the computer monitor application at all. That being said, my Samsung LED 40" 120Hz TV blows my older Samsung 50" plasma out of the water in clarity and picture. It almost looks 3D its so good. (Then I also have a 19" Samsung LCD TV hung on the wall at my computer desk so I can watch TV while i surf.)

Last edited:

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
I agree 100%. Just a tough sell when folks believe they need to buy the newest and most expensive stuff available.

Plasma is superior to LED/LCD at this point in all but power use and weight.

Edge lit LED LCDs tend to have flashlighting issues and many times their viewing angles are piss poor since there are 3 different panel technologies. Full array LEDs are super spendy but offer comparable black levels to plasma however the cost doesn't offset the benefit to which there really isn't one.

CCFL LCDs still have light bleed through, generally poor black levels by comparison, and are still spendier than their plasma counterparts at the same size.

I used to be an LCD only guy. About a month and a half before we moved we picked up a 42" Panny plasma. Spend next to nothing on it and it's picture is simply gorgeous compared to my 32" Tosh LCD. More recently I picked up a 26" LG LED tv to use as a computer monitor since I wanted something future proof if I move to a larger pad. After getting this set dialed in the picture is damn near perfect but it's due to the LCD panel not the LED backlight.

Plasmas to my eye look better than anything else. They produce nice rich warm colors, good blacks and don't have the weird fake look that the led's seem to create. Too much looks like a soap opera when viewed on the led's.

Are you thinking of that retarded 120hz gimmick thats all the rage? It makes everything look super unnatural and I can't watch a full movie without getting a headache.

How about DLPs? I own a Mitsubishi 73in DLP, and for the money (<1300) it's amazing. Colors and bright, blacks are dark, and the whole thing only weighs about 90lbs. Just curious to see other peoples opinions on dlps.

plac

GTI Master
Are you thinking of that retarded 120hz gimmick thats all the rage? It makes everything look super unnatural and I can't watch a full movie without getting a headache.

How about DLPs? I own a Mitsubishi 73in DLP, and for the money (<1300) it's amazing. Colors and bright, blacks are dark, and the whole thing only weighs about 90lbs. Just curious to see other peoples opinions on dlps.

i think the LED and 120hz make it look MORE natural. it's like you're in the room with them. like you can almost see the camera in the corner of the shot. I love the way the LED 120hz looks. its almost TOO real, but i like realistic..

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport

I am. Looks awful to me. Great for games or sports maybe, but then again plasmas don't really have an issue handling rapid moving objects the way lcd's normally do so they do well in this area already.

Never looked at DLP's much so I don't know much about them nor have I spent much time evaluating the picture or trying to adjust it. Adjustment is always a big consideration as the in-store setup is rarely very good at home nor for the tv's life. Lots of contrast and brightness. I used to own Hitachi rear projection crt's before plasmas could be purchased by us mere mortals and at the time they were the way to go if you wanted good color and blacks in a big screen. They weren't all good but they could be and Hitachi made some good ones along with a few others. Just went the way of the dodo because folks wanted the skinny tvs :)

plac said:
i think the LED and 120hz make it look MORE natural. it's like you're in the room with them. like you can almost see the camera in the corner of the shot. I love the way the LED 120hz looks. its almost TOO real, but i like realistic..

You're not alone obviously as many people choose 120hz led lcds and I'm sure it's based on what they see and like in many cases. With what I mentioned above about plasmas not having trouble cleanly reproducing fast movements with little in the way of motion artifacts they didn't really need any help here, lcds did and that's what gave rise to the higher refresh rates being used. The Panasonic I have is rated at "600hz" fwiw and looks natural to my eye. What I mean is that although what you said about it looking more natural when viewed on the 120hz screen is kind of accurate in that the images look more like real life and less like they had special lighting and post production trickery applied to them, I think that's a step in the wrong direction. It's those things that make movies, give them their atmosphere and set the mood in many scenes. I don't want everything to look like it was shot on some sound stage for daytime soaps or to look like a travel show if it's outdoors. So to me the plasmas will more faithfully reproduce what was originally intended. Dark moody movies or bright crisp outdoor shots. But to each their own, maybe my sight's shit....best to spend time reading about and looking at your prospective choices before making a decision. Don't go solely by what us internet fellas prattle on about.