GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

42 DD downpipe with stock catback?

Red-2009-GTI

Ready to race!
I would like to bounce this question off a couple of you guys that are exhaust gurus:

My car has 4,000 miles is all and is APR Stage 1 most of its short life. I have the full BSH intake and their front mount intercooer as well. I am thinking of going Stage 2 and need a downpipe (at least). I am thinking the 42DD Street with resonator because I want it mild sounding.

Will this work okay into the stock cat back? I know it has been done, but should I just save a bit more and do the whole turbo-back thing?

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
ehh, it will work, thats the same set-up i plan on running, 42dd to stock catback, actually delivers a nice deep note that isnt obnoxious an is there only if you want it to be...i personally wouldnt pay for a "catback", i would just do a muffler delete..but thats me..... hope this helps...

tinto

bitch please
Car(s)
2009 Pirelli GTI
I have the same pipe in my car, and while it releases some engine sounds, you would barely notice over stock. Maybe a touch louder when you're getting on it.
But the additional turbo sounds are nice to hear.

I went for street resonated and ceramic coated, matched up to the stock catback.
Look like stock, but doesn't drive like stock :)

ssunnylee24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 CW DSG GTI
It will work just fine, I got a 3" DP installed and got stage 2 flashed same day.
Cat back is just for sound not much of performance upgrade.

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
This is exactly what I want to do too. I've had cars with loud exhausts in the past, and I'm ready for one that's quick and fun to drive but is quiet on the freeway or when I'm goin around town. That isn't to say I wouldn't mind a pinch more growl... :biggrin:

Throw up some vids if you get this done, I'd like to hear!

Vortec4800

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2009 VW GTI
...all over youtube :thumbsup:

Hmm, when I looked everything I saw was either downpipe and res delete or downpipe and full exhaust, not downpipe and totally stock. Oh well. :iono:

dubbin

All in, All out..
Car(s)
09 GTI
really..hmm well mybad, coulda swore i saw soem on there, i have not checked youtube in a while....srry bout that..

Electricalbox

OMG CAT FTW!
I will have a video tonight I have an 08 FSI APR stage 2 with stock catback and a ebay surewin DP. Should be about the same in sound...I <3 it so much, at idle almost the same. When using a lot of throttle it comes alive so good, not to raspy at all.