GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k Service $929.77 ??

MarcoBe

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI 2017 Autobahn
Just looked at scheduling my next service for 40k, $929.77 ? Is that right? Fell of my chair when I saw that...

This is what's covered:
Engine oil - Change
Dust and pollen filter - Replace
Every 4 years - Replace spark plugs
Transmission - DSG (non-Automatic) - Change fluid and filter
Engine oil filter - Change
Battery - Check
Body - Visual Inspection for Corrosion
Brakes - Inspect brake system and shock absorber for leaks and damage, check thick…
Coolant level and frost protection - Check
CV joints - Check for leaks and damage
Engine and engine compartment components
- Check ( from above ) for leaks and damage
Engine and engine compartment components
- Check ( from below ) for leaks and damag…
Exhaust system - Check for damage and leaks
Headlights - Check and adjust if necessary
Interior lighting and glove box lights, cigarette lighter / power outlets, horn, and …
Lighting - Front and rear lights, luggage compartment lighting, turn signals, hazard …
Power steering - Check fluid level
Ribbed V-belt - Check condition (if applicable)
Service interval display - Reset (if applicable)
Sunroof - Open sunroof and check front
water drains and clean if necessary (if appli…
Sunroof and panoramic sunroof - Check, clean, and lubricate (if applicable)
Test drive - Check braking, kick-down, steering, electrical, heating and ventilation …
Tie rod ends - Check for excessive play, check boots
Tires - Check tread depth, condition wear pattern and pressure of all tires (including s…
Underbody sealant - Inspect for damage
Windshield washers, headlight cleaning
system, and wiper blades - Check for dama…

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
A lot of that seems like garbage. Why not just pay $300-400 for a DSG transmission fluid service and pay attention to the rest yourself?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The rest of it is just an inspection and would cost more. Except for the oil change and cabin filter.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
That sounds about right. I paid just over $600 for mine but that was during an "employee pricing" special when the pandemic first started which drastically reduced the labor charges.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Power steering - Check fluid level

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Why not get on YouTube and learn how to do the DSG service, oil & filter change, cabin filter change and spark plugs and then get the tools you need and do it yourself. Then you know it was done and correctly and you have the tools for the next time. All the inspections can be done bu you also, just go down the list.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Why not get on YouTube and learn how to do the DSG service, oil & filter change, cabin filter change and spark plugs and then get the tools you need and do it yourself. Then you know it was done and correctly and you have the tools for the next time. All the inspections can be done bu you also, just go down the list.

sounds great in theory, but not everyone is comfortable with doing such services to their car.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
sounds great in theory, but not everyone is comfortable with doing such services to their car.
He was asking about lifts, so why wouldn't he be comfortable with doing some of these service items? Seems like a pretty expensive tool for only doing wheel rotations or swap outs.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

If you want it done right, do it yourself. I don't trust ANY tech as far as I can throw an elephant. Have had way too many problems with them. The automotive industry standard of acceptable work is far below my own. This is so they can get as many cars through the shop as humanly possible. I'd rather pay more money to someone who takes the time to do it right, but those people don't seem to exist.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you want it done right, do it yourself. I don't trust ANY tech as far as I can throw an elephant. Have had way too many problems with them. The automotive industry standard of acceptable work is far below my own. This is so they can get as many cars through the shop as humanly possible. I'd rather pay more money to someone who takes the time to do it right, but those people don't seem to exist.

I have a great dealer and the shop foreman does my work exclusively. When I was younger and had the tools and place to do the work I would. Now that I'm older and don't have anywhere I could do the work I don't have a problem using the dealer for some things.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Ala carte is the way to go with a sprinkle of DIY. Have them change the oil, rotate the tires ($100). You change the cabin filter ($20). Have them do the plugs ($150?). Have them do the DSG ($400?) Should be $750 or so at most. All the checks are complete garbage/not anything anyone should pay for. The DIY is clearly the cheapest and oil changes and plugs are super simple but I get not everyone wants to dick with it. Dealer always offer these bundled services but you can just ask for hte ones you need to follow the maintenance schedule. You can also find an independent shop that does Euro/VWs, should be a bit cheaper.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
Dang that is crazy! doesn't even have brake fluid flush...Do it yourself. Buy all the tools if you dont already have it and you'll still be saving hundreds of dollars.
OIL - 70$
Air Filter - 20$
Cabin Filter - 20$
Spark Pugs - 50$
Transmission Fluid - 150$
Brake Fluid - 10$